Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4x2 so there is no reason to get a 6" because I'll just be doing minor off roading and maximum head turning :bigthumb: . My question is what is the best quality 3" lift or leveling kit for the FJ that is roughly $500 or less, i.e. RC, Procomp, Revtek, Outrider, Sky Jacker, or others.
If you have any reviews, experience, or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!
-Phil

·
Registered
305 Posts
Since it is a 4x2 I probably wouldn't waste an extreme amount of money on a extremely expensive full suspension kit. Example being icon. Rough country has a good strut front coil spacer and rear coils for around 320. Pro comp has a full suspension set up for 529. Both are 3" lifts and some of the best prices for what they are.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I had the RC lift (with rear coils) for about 2 years and it was great. Only problem you'll have is that the 4x2 sits lower in the front than the 4x4, not sure if it's the same in the back. Either way with the 2" lift coils and a front spacer you'll still have a rake. Can correct this by either finding a used set of 4x4 front coilovers, getting a rear spacer instead of longer spring, or buying new front springs and swapping them out. Cheapest is definitely the rear spacer. But if you want yours to be lifted the same as an equivalent 4x4 you'll need to do something additional to the front, though that should fit into your $500 budget.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How can you tell the difference between the 4x4 coils from regular ones?
and do I need a the whole 4x4 coilover? or just the strut? or just the spring?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
How can you tell the difference between the 4x4 coils from regular ones?
and do I need a the whole 4x4 coilover? or just the strut? or just the spring?
I would just get the whole coil over assembly. Much easier to install, and can usually be found on the forum for around $50-$75 for the set. The post will say they're from a 4x4, or you can ask.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
I have a 4x2 so there is no reason to get a 6" because I'll just be doing minor off roading and maximum head turning :bigthumb: . My question is what is the best quality 3" lift or leveling kit for the FJ that is roughly $500 or less, i.e. RC, Procomp, Revtek, Outrider, Sky Jacker, or others.
If you have any reviews, experience, or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!
-Phil
Just put a pair of Bilstein 5100s on the front (2nd or 3rd notch) and 285 tires. That is what I did for my 4x2. I did the FJ Summit and no problems.

Do a search on this forum: Bilstein 5100

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just put a pair of Bilstein 5100s on the front (2nd or 3rd notch) and 285 tires. That is what I did for my 4x2. I did the FJ Summit and no problems.

Do a search on this forum: Bilstein 5100
I was just looking at the RC set up now im runnimg 5100s set to the 3rd notch, front w 4x4 springs all around, I've notice my rear is about 1/2 lower in the back. Would this set up correct that? And how would it ride w 5100 and RC set up? Thanks

Toyota FJ Cruiser Suspension Lift

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would honestly get a spacers lift if you're going for minor offroading, and mostly head turning.

Honestly only get a coil lift if you do more than 30% offroad.

Try toyteclifts.com

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think the Pro Comp is te best choice for around $500. I had it for about a year and half and it worked good. Then I upgraded to Icon

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
So if you get coils off a 4x4, and then get the lift, it will sit level?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You don't need coils and a lift kit if all you want to do is level it. Just put a pair of Bilstein 5100s on the front (3rd notch is what most use). That should level it. You might then want to get 285 tires for better appearance afterwards.

Let me google that for you

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-steering-tech/124933-bilstein-5100-level-poll.html

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I agree if you're primarily interested in the look, the spacer kits do the job, even on 4x4's ... the trucks I've seen look good and the only ay you can tell is to look under the front wheel-well ... I also agree that the 4x4 springs will do the job are a very reasonable cost, but maybe a bit more work ... good luck with your decision ...
:cheers:

2007 FJ Cruiser – Voodoo Blue - C Pckge – AT
Toytec Ultimate 3” Lift / Total Chaos UCA
285/70R/17 Michelin LTX A/T
Clazzio Seat Covers

In the Mail – DeMello Hybrid Sliders / ECGS 3rd member 4.56 gears /
ECGS Front Diff 4.56 gears / ARB Front Locker / ARB mini compressor

·
Registered
23 Posts
You don't need coils and a lift kit if all you want to do is level it. Just put a pair of Bilstein 5100s on the front (3rd notch is what most use). That should level it. You might then want to get 285 tires for better appearance afterwards.

Let me google that for you

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-steering-tech/124933-bilstein-5100-level-poll.html
Yes I understand that part I'm talking about if I wanted to get a lift. If I did what I stated previously it would sit level correct?

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Yes I understand that part I'm talking about if I wanted to get a lift. If I did what I stated previously it would sit level correct?

What are you going to use your FJ for?

If you just want it level, then you don't need a lift kit (many which contains coils) and/or 4x4 coils to make it level. Just get spacers or 5100s. 4x4 coils by themselves won't make it level. The 4x4 also comes raked.

If you are going to do off road then you would want a lift kit which will make it level as well as give it a lift.

I have a 4x2 and a 4x4. I leveled the 4x2 with 5100s. I lifted the 4x4 with the OME kit (which levels it as well) since I use it for off road. If I didn't use it off road, I would have put 5100s on it and called it a day.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-steering-tech/156303-new-complete-lift-listing-comparison-theyre-all-here-updated.html

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

The only previous post from you I see just said "if I get the 4x4 coils and then the lift it will sit level?"

What "lift" are you talking about? Does the 4x2 have the same rake as a 4x4, just lower all around, or is the rear the same height and only the front lower than the rear? If the rake is the same (lower all around) then getting a set of 4x4 coilovers (used ones go for cheap here) will level you. Or you could tear your apart and put 4x4 coils on your shocks, but I'd recommend just getting the whole assembly.

If only the front is lower on the 4x2 (more pronounced rake) then you will need the 4x4 coilovers and a spacer lift.

If you're getting aftermarket coilovers then they can adjusted to sit sits level, no spacer required.

·
Registered
452 Posts
4x2, and not any serious off-roading? Don't waste your money on expensive suspension components that you'll never use to their full extent.

My MT6 is made for serious 4x4 action, but I won't see that kind of fun but 10% of the time, so I opted for the simple Daystar 3" spacers front and back. They leveled out the front end rake and lifted the rig overall. Looks great, allowed me to run with 285's, and it's all I need to give me a little more clearance when needed. No need to go overboard unless you plan to challenge your FJ in some tough stuff. Just my opinion. And oh...I just yesterday received a pair of All-Pro sliders - not because I expect to ever be in ruts deep enough or rocks large enough need that sort of protection, but it could happen 'cause when I do go 4-wheeling it's usually a little dicey. Plus, they're great for stepping on for access to the roof, and they make my FJ look like I know what I'm doing when mall surfing :)

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
4x2, and not any serious off-roading? Don't waste your money on expensive suspension components that you'll never use to their full extent.

My MT6 is made for serious 4x4 action, but I won't see that kind of fun but 10% of the time, so I opted for the simple Daystar 3" spacers front and back. They leveled out the front end rake and lifted the rig overall. Looks great, allowed me to run with 285's, and it's all I need to give me a little more clearance when needed. No need to go overboard unless you plan to challenge your FJ in some tough stuff. Just my opinion. And oh...I just yesterday received a pair of All-Pro sliders - not because I expect to ever be in ruts deep enough or rocks large enough need that sort of protection, but it could happen 'cause when I do go 4-wheeling it's usually a little dicey. Plus, they're great for stepping on for access to the roof, and they make my FJ look like I know what I'm doing when mall surfing :)
Old Geezer is also a Wise Geezer. Good advice! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts