Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize there are more than just these to choose from, but I don't want any that flex, or have to be greased, etc. I just want tougher than stock/maintenance free. So, I've narrowed it to two, Man-a-Fre, and the All-Pro Ultimates.

Man-a-Fre
FJ Cruiser HD Lower Control Arms

All-Pro
Catalog

They are normally only a $10 dollar difference, but right now the All-Pros are on sale and would be $54 less. It's not about the money though, as I'm sure they're both worth it.

K

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought the all-pro, they ride well and no squeaks or adjustments they just bolt on. I also bought the LCA skids.
So far I hit the driver side with no damage, just a few scraps.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I like the man-a-fre's. Simple and beefy. I am considering getting them. They are just not a top priority for the type of trails we ride down here. Rocks will bend the stock ones easy. It's like pushing in the middle of a straw.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm looking,too. The only advatage I see with the all pros besides price is that they use factory bushings. The poly bushings MAF use can squeek pretty bad, and are usually stiffer. Great in a sports car when you need super tight and exact handling, but the stockers probably offer more flex.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I went with the AllPro because I know I would forget to grease the others. They have been on for quite awhile now and I haven't had any problems with them at all.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there's also Icon's.
Now that's where money comes into play! NO WAY am I payin that much. Besides the fact that they have a joint in them, and they're not maintenance free. I want bolt-on, forget about, beefy parts.

K

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Yeah I was thinking All Pro until those Icons showed up. I've got to make a decision as well, we've got a lot of runs this summer.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Now that's where money comes into play! NO WAY am I payin that much. Besides the fact that they have a joint in them, and they're not maintenance free. I want bolt-on, forget about, beefy parts.

K
There's Digger links but you'll have to get in line behind me:lol:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
U can get any fabrication shop to cut your old links and use the factory heads on some new tubing. Saves a lot of money also. They can also add some reinforcement to the tubing if u just want them to be stronger. I could recommend a shop if you were near me.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I got the All Pro square ones. Maybe an engineer can chime in, but since they are flat on the bottom it seems more surface to spread weight and impact across? Be interested to really know, but they look beefier to me and that matters too :rawr:

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
I have the Icons, they are very easy to grease and adjust if needed. Put em to the test at Cruise Moab, I did Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim and Golden Spike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm looking,too. The only advatage I see with the all pros besides price is that they use factory bushings. The poly bushings MAF use can squeek pretty bad, and are usually stiffer. Great in a sports car when you need super tight and exact handling, but the stockers probably offer more flex.
MAF just includes an OME bushing kit along with custom upgraded center sleaves that go through the center of the bushings. The OME bushings are superior to the OEM bushings (which are also known to squeak under heavy articulation) IMHO. I bought the HD lower arms and had them on the shelf when the High Angle arms were offered so I just mailed them back and am waiting for my new set. I can tell you from personal experience, they weigh a ton and are beefy as hell. From an engineering stance, round tubing is the most efficient geometry for minimizing stress risers (areas where the von Mises stresses can concentrate thus increasing the probability of failure at that point) so they were a no brainer. With that being said, they all seem to make excellent products and there are threads to support this, I'm sure.

Good luck with your upgrades!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I made my own, (thanks Zazou) remove the old ones, take measurments, cut off ends and weld to (I used 2"x2"x3/16) steel tube, prime and undercoat and install, cost me $36.00 and I can't see bending 2"x2"x3/16 steel.

·
Premium Member
16,617 Posts
I have All-Pro's and they have served me well for the last 6 months. Chris

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I you get the all pro links, you might want to get the pro links because the others squeek a little. Otherwise, just go with the DR links.:rocker:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I you get the all pro links, you might want to get the pro links because the others squeek a little. Otherwise, just go with the DR links.:rocker:
I have never heard the rubber OE style bushing squeek only the urethane bushings. I'd be interested in hearing more about this.

Jonb

1 - 20 of 29 Posts