Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
The Land Cruiser and GX in the USA are V8 only. They didnt have the 4.0L in the USA

I dont know about emissions in your area, but I know if I take a 4.0L from Saudi Land Cruiser and install in mine, it wont pass.

Tacoma/4Runner is best bet. There are tons of them out there

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Re: Need help finding used or reman engine

I did talk to a guy there and he said there was no issue with the 1-grfe rebuilds. It may be they just don't have any right now, and since yours is sitting - you can send it in and the core won't be an issue. I would definitely keep trying to get someone who knows - wish I had got the guys name for you, but was just trying to help.

And btw mon petite chou - I lived in Lafayette for many years. I remember taking my old international down the Atchafalaya levee during a Cat2 storm to deliver a drill bit!
Man I do miss Lafayette and area, the food and the people.

R&M Boiling Point, Mel's Diner, Don's, Avery Island...I could go on. That place felt like home!

·
Registered
799 Posts

I would buy a lower mileage from a wrecked FJ/Taco on ebay before going with a re-man. engine personally. I don't trust re-builders that use sub-standard parts like non-oem gaskets, etc to maximize profits.

ps. The single vvti and dual vvti 1grs are not easily swappable.
I second this. I found a lightly used 66K take out from tacoma and swapped it in on mine. I absolutely wouldn't go reman'd, I'd go factory seconds. I bought mine off ebay and it was immaculate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

I second this. I found a lightly used 66K take out from tacoma and swapped it in on mine. I absolutely wouldn't go reman'd, I'd go factory seconds. I bought mine off ebay and it was immaculate.
Good to hear you had success on ebay, thank you. How big of a deal would it be to put a tacoma motor into the 2011 FJ, considering the single vs dual vvti?

·
Registered
740 Posts

Good to hear you had success on ebay, thank you. How big of a deal would it be to put a tacoma motor into the 2011 FJ, considering the single vs dual vvti?
You would basically have to swap everything to the 1st gen variety. That means engine harness, ecu, body harness, etc. Not an easy undertaking, and definitely not worth it. There's pretty much no reason to do this, the dual vvti motor was improved all around.

·
Registered
799 Posts

You would basically have to swap everything to the 1st gen variety. That means engine harness, ecu, body harness, etc. Not an easy undertaking, and definitely not worth it. There's pretty much no reason to do this, the dual vvti motor was improved all around.
I would emphatically agree. Stay with the dual VVTI engine.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I am still confused as to what ruined the original engine at such low mileage.

Lack of oil changes by DPO?

Was the vehicle involved in a flood?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I am still confused as to what ruined the original engine at such low mileage.

Lack of oil changes by DPO?

Was the vehicle involved in a flood?
See post #16 for details, apparently the OP purchased the vehicle new, or at least with a warranty. Vehicle started to "smoke and shudder" while being driven on the highway, dealer found no oil in engine, and severe sludge.

OP stated that he performed all the required oil changes himself, and claims he had one receipt for the purchase of some oil.

Dealer apparently denied warranty coverage based on no oil in engine and severe sludge.

So, there appears to be some conflict between OP's and dealer's claims. Ultimately, the dead vehicle sat in OP's driveway for several years, and now the search for a replacement engine has begun.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There's also laws in place that prohibit installing an older engine on a newer vehicle. A lot of people don't care about laws, but nonetheless, it is present. You can't legally install a legacy engine in your FJ.

Oil gelling has always been a Toyota issue. Of course, despite the burden of proof being on the manufacturer against a claim like this, it almost always goes in favor of the manufacturer. Sad.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts