Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, folks. Please excuse my ignorance here. I am looking for "planks" used to help get out of or over soft sand, up rocks bigger than my clearance, etc...

But for the life of me I can't remember what the heck they are actually called. Can someone please tell me what they are called, and if you wanna recommend some, it would be appreciated. 10 days till serious sand and I need to grab some.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Sand ladders is what they are commonly referred to.
But i don't know where you could buy them

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Bandi educated me

250-350 range for the alum' ones... The steel's are
cheaper, but heavier and will rust...
the pictures are links click on them!

Then you also have bridging ladders too...

Here is Mir's version...

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
A good place to check for cheaper versions is military surplus or online surplus stores, they are generally cheaper than offroad shops marketing them as sand ladders. Great things to have!!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
That is ridiculous as for pricing. Seems like platic would be a greater alternative. Let an M.E. sit there and make up a strong design and then sell that for much cheaper and much lighter.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Something that can be rolled up would be nice (for sand and mud). Those ladders are too bulky.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Something that can be rolled up would be nice (for sand and mud). Those ladders are too bulky.
I was reading some landrover threads on this topic earlier and they were suggesting carpet. This might not be favorable for mud though, but nothing really is.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I was reading some landrover threads on this topic earlier and they were suggesting carpet. This might not be favorable for mud though, but nothing really is.
Yeah, carpet works for sand, but even then it's kind of hard to keep them from slipping. I was thinking of something like tire chains, but a little more structure and can actually dig a little bit into the sand or mud. Made of plastic or rubber so it's not too heavy. Should be able to be rolled up for compact storage.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
If i didn't care about tearing them up, i am sure our meaty floor mats and cargo mat would do well. I have many more options before i would resort to that though.

I remember a few years ago when i was 15 we used a skateboard deck to get out of some sand.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
As far as sand ladders go, I really like these: they are made by Bushranger (same people who make the X-Jack). And at $75/ each, you can't beat it. It's just a matter of finding it in the U.S. of A
Most excellent find! That's really close to what I'm thinking.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
As far as sand ladders go, I really like these: they are made by Bushranger (same people who make the X-Jack). And at $75/ each, you can't beat it. It's just a matter of finding it in the U.S. of A
Those X-Trax "ladders" look like the roll up flooring they use in restaurants.

I wonder if you could get something cheaper at a restaurant supply store. Just something else to consider, if you're in the market for something like that.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I have posted this before. I never have tried them but I always look at the recycled welcome mat that we have at out front door.

BTW: I am not a fan of carpeting. Just does not work very well. IMHO

$40 is not bad at all. Those are 14X48. I think something bigger like maybe 20X60 would be better.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I'm going with the X-trax. I've tried carpet and it often just gets thrown by the tire. Probably my fault for giving too much throttle, but those look like they will bite into the surface well, be it sand, mud, or snow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll try the recycled tire traction strips and a shovel. That'll have to do for the upcoming trip, but will look into the boards for my trip later this summer where we will be 50+ miles from anything.

More important will be getting some decent tires. These stock dueller's are OK for street, but suck butt everywhere else.

Thanks all!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.