Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a connection at Toyota to get the TRD Pro SEMA Black wheels at a discounted price (60% MSRP) so it's a no brainer for me to get them. I have no lift or BMC and am not looking for either right now. I still want the biggest tire I can get. After looking through the forums I saw that the biggest I could get on a 17" rim was 285/70/R17. The TRD wheel is 7" wide, which is too small for the BFGoodrich KO2 I'm going for. I could get 275/70/R17, but the sidewall is slightly smaller than the 265/75/R16 stock tires I'm running. The tire is overall taller and, with the smaller wheel, is about the same width. Is it worth it? Should I just stick with the stock size? I can get the TRD wheel in any of the sizes they come in (16", 17", and 18"). I'm still pretty new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,767 Posts
34x10.5x17 KO2 would be my vote. No, it isnt 34". The TRD Sema wheels only come in 17", but yes, there are plenty of "TRD" wheels in 16, 17, and probably 18" varieties. (Never seen a 18 TRD anything for the FJ though)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
34x10.5x17 KO2 would be my vote. No, it isnt 34". The TRD Sema wheels only come in 17", but yes, there are plenty of "TRD" wheels in 16, 17, and probably 18" varieties. (Never seen a 18 TRD anything for the FJ though)
The TRD Pro lineup is more comprehensive now, so the Tundra and Sequoia have the Sema wheels at 18", 4Runner at 17", and Taco at 16". You can see them on Toyota's website now. My connection at Toyota is the one who tipped me off to this.

Regardless, do you know if that tire size would rub at all? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,767 Posts
The TRD Pro lineup is more comprehensive now, so the Tundra and Sequoia have the Sema wheels at 18", 4Runner at 17", and Taco at 16". You can see them on Toyota's website now. My connection at Toyota is the one who tipped me off to this.

Regardless, do you know if that tire size would rub at all? Thanks for your help!
Gotcha. Tundra and Sequoia are 5-lug, so scratch those. I cannot confirm on the 34x10.5 KO2s. Everyone who I have seen use them is already lifted or leveled. Mounted on a truck they measure out to just a hair above 32" tall, and are maybe a touch wider than a 265, so if you think you have that much clearance, may be worth the shot!.

If you get the 16's, the 255/85r16 is a nice size. Tall and skinny. I just switched from 295s to 255s. I enjoy them much more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha. Tundra and Sequoia are 5-lug, so scratch those. I cannot confirm on the 34x10.5 KO2s. Everyone who I have seen use them is already lifted or leveled.

If you get the 16's, the 255/85r16 is a nice size. Tall and skinny. I just switched from 295s to 255s. I enjoy them much more.
Are the 255s the "pizza cutters"? If so do they affect normal performance much? Don't know much about them besides they're better in the snow (which I enjoy driving in).

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,767 Posts
Yes. I noticed no difference really. Maybe slightly lighter steering, but I was coming from wider 295s. I assume its same as stock. I also bought Yokohama M/Ts so aside from some humming, the ride is very plesant and they fit a 7" wide wheel perfectly.

The 17" variation of a "pizza cutter" is the 255/80r17, but those kind of seem to run a touch too small in some brands...just like a 285/75r16 is typically a smidge larger than its 285/70r17 brothers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks very much for the info. I’m going to see if any tire places near me will let me fit test any of them without a commitment to the tire

1 - 8 of 8 Posts