Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beside keeping the FJC in stock conditions then what else can we do to get more MPG out of this truck?. Can anyone of us make a kit that able to switch between six to four cylinder modes? because this motor seems to have adequate torques to pull...Thanks in advance for any inputs

·
Registered
911 Posts
Maybe a CAI (Cold Air Intake), replacing you're spark plugs, and maybe an exhaust.

i don't think you'll find a kit that changes the engine to 4 cyl. but then again, with the right amount of money, everything is possible.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I hate to say it because they are so cool; if you are not using your rack, take it off... Weight and air resistance is the MPG killer.

Oh yea, don't cary around your golf clubs...:)

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
drive slooowwww

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
I hate to say it because they are so cool; if you are not using your rack, take it off... Weight and air resistance is the MPG killer.

Oh yea, don't cary around your golf clubs...:)
That would be my suggestion as well if you really want to get some additional mpg - do a seach - oem roof racks have been reported to decrease performance 1-2 mpg. I've seen other posts that report as much as 2-3 mpg lost for aftermarket roof racks or adding additional attachments or items to the oem roof rack.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
pull out the passenger and rear seats. remove your AC, spare tire, and jack. drive only downhill. jenny craig's diet for the driver. fold your side mirros in to decrease air resistance.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
pull out the passenger and rear seats. remove your AC, spare tire, and jack. drive only downhill. jenny craig's diet for the driver. fold your side mirros in to decrease air resistance.
Yes these would give us better MPG's. :jester:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
i haven't even gotten into the more aggressive mpg saving techniques...such as shaving tire treads to decrease rotational mass.

·
Registered
755 Posts
That would be my suggestion as well if you really want to get some additional mpg - do a seach - roof racks = about 2 mpg.
Hmm, there was a thread last year where someone did a test and that the OEM rack didn't account that much of a loss in MPG. It something like 0.2mpg. Now a full rack perhaps you'll see 2mpg loss.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
less skinny pedal. i have found that non-light weight simulated carbon fiber hoods and non functioning scoops everywhere takes care of that.

on a more serious note, less skinny pedal.

the FJC sucks on the tit of oil companies.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
LOL.. You guys are funny.. I drive for fun, WOT, fast as i can, jack rabbit starts, quick stops, etc.. and I get 19.5MPG at 1500 miles.. Whoo Hoo.. I drove my Rubicon over 7500 miles of roadtrips last year at 12-15MPH er MPG (Briman).. I feel like I have a hybrid or something now. I'm so happy with my MPG that I now give gas to those guys that stand on the interstate ramp with signs that say "will work for food"! I stop and ask them if they have a can.. LOL.. Ron

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
LOL.. You guys are funny.. I drive for fun, WOT, fast as i can, jack rabbit starts, quick stops, etc.. and I get 19.5MPG at 1500 miles.. Whoo Hoo.. I drove my Rubicon over 7500 miles of roadtrips last year at 12-15MPH.. I feel like I have a hybrid or something now. I'm so happy with my MPG that I now give gas to those guys that stand on the interstate ramp with signs that say "will work for food"! I stop and ask them if they have a can.. LOL.. Ron
at 12-15 mph you should have been getting super great milage.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Hmm, there was a thread last year where someone did a test and that the OEM rack didn't account that much of a loss in MPG. It something like 0.2mpg. Now a full rack perhaps you'll see 2mpg loss.
I based my post on prior posts that I've read - sorry, I missed the thread that did the test and couldn't find it in a search - do you have the link? I'd like to read it. I purposely chose not to buy my FJ with a roof rack because of what I read on this forum about mpg. :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts