Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have everything installed and now i need help with the wiring, i looked around and could not find my answers!

i have one red wire and one black wire coming from the lights

i have 1 white wire hooked up to the switch that is spliced with 2 connnectors
i have 1 red wire coming from the switch that is fused
the switch is grounded

now i have a relay with 4 prongs

so i hook up the fused wire from the relay to the battery correct?
i ground another prong
i ground the black wire from the lights
idk im lost!!!

where do i go from here?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
we are getting up to 30 inches of snow here tomorrow and i wanna get this installed on my day off today

·
Registered
838 Posts
If you have two wires coming out of you lights, one is ground and the other is hot, unless it is LED which one you use doesn't matter, I would think red would be your hot wire and black would be ground. the best way to find out is look at the back of the bulb, if both wires go into it, then you are fine just put one to ground and the other to 12V. be sure to use a fuse with it

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya i was overthinking this! i ditched the relay and just hooked it up through a switch and it looks good and works great!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they are not that bright i was expecting brighter!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i got clarification they are 55 watts

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
If your only running a pair, then your probably ok without the relay. Yeah some lights are a lot brighter than others. I just ditched some 55w for some HIDs . It's a night and day difference. Pun intended.:lol::cheers:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Even if you only have two lights, an $8 dollar relay can save a lot of hassle down the road if something were to go wrong. Cheap insurance. Plus if you add more lights later, the relay is already set up.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i bought a relay but was having a hard time hooking it up, i think i needed an extra power wire to go from the relay to my switch. idk though but i got it to work with nothing added to the stock electrical

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would not wire up aux lights without a relay. In my opinion you are just asking to melt something while the are running. Here is a very simple diagram as to how to wire up a relay:

Or this:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Going thru the same thing...thought about skipping relay until soemone on the forum convinced me to use the relay....Where do i grab the high beam wire?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its so much easier without the relay! damn! even 2 55 watt lights will melt my wires??? even with the fuses?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Why not just use the factory switch and relay? I ran the wires down the a-pillar (following the gobi roof rack lights .PDF, since I was too chicken to drill a hole in my roof) If you look at the pic in step 3 of this PDF the empty white connector is where you wire in the roof lights. Once that was done I put the factory "roof offroad" switch in the center console, found the connector that was tucked in there, wrapped in foam tape. Pluged in the relay and fuse in the factory fuse box under the hood and everything worked fine. Nice and clean.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Going thru the same thing...thought about skipping relay until soemone on the forum convinced me to use the relay....Where do i grab the high beam wire?
If you want them to come on any time run that wire to the battery. If not tap the high beam wire from near the headlight unit itself. I'm not sure what color wire it is but I bet somebody will chime in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts