Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to add a 3 pole SPST lighted switch to my lights, nothing fancy. I have these switches I am trying to use:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...ED-LED//1.html

Someone had told me that to power the light on the switch I could just tap the acc wire connecting the relay and the switch. (The third pole is grounded of course.) I DON'T want the light on the switch to be on at all times, only when the aux lights are on. Well, this idea worked for all of about 5 seconds, before blowing the LED in the switch and rendering the switch unusable.

I've seen diagrams that show the switch light power wired indepedently with an in-line fuse. Do I really need to use two slots on my Blue Sea box to power two off-road lights? (One to the relay and one to the switch?) Can I still tap the acc wire from the relay to the switch so long as I put a fuse on it if so what kind of fuse do I need? Otherwise I don't know how to have the switch illuminated ONLY when the roof lights are on. And are these switches ok to be using for this purpose in the first place?

Thanks for your help in advance! :cheers:

·
Registered
627 Posts
I am trying to add a 3 pole SPST lighted switch to my lights, nothing fancy. I have these switches I am trying to use:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...ED-LED//1.html

Someone had told me that to power the light on the switch I could just tap the acc wire connecting the relay and the switch. (The third pole is grounded of course.) I DON'T want the light on the switch to be on at all times, only when the aux lights are on. Well, this idea worked for all of about 5 seconds, before blowing the LED in the switch and rendering the switch unusable.

I've seen diagrams that show the switch light power wired indepedently with an in-line fuse. Do I really need to use two slots on my Blue Sea box to power two off-road lights? (One to the relay and one to the switch?) Can I still tap the acc wire from the relay to the switch so long as I put a fuse on it if so what kind of fuse do I need? Otherwise I don't know how to have the switch illuminated ONLY when the roof lights are on. And are these switches ok to be using for this purpose in the first place?

Thanks for your help in advance! :cheers:
Your link is not working for me.

Sounds like a 2 volt LED fed 12 volts. If so, needs a resistor in series to drop the 12 volts:

Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I curious as to why they would sell a 12V illuminated switch that required a resistor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts