Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of replacing my drivers side wheel bearing. I got the bearing off of the spindle but now I cannot separate the old bearing from the wheel hub. any advice on how to do this? we brought out a pry bar and some wd40 but cant separate the two. tips? tricks?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
You'll need someone with a press AND know how to use it.

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
When Digger did his wheel bearing, we had to take the hub to a couple different shops before we could find one that would press out the old bearing and install the new one. I think they charged $20-30.
If I'd have known, you could have used my 20-ton shop press for free Landy.

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When Digger did his wheel bearing, we had to take the hub to a couple different shops before we could find one that would press out the old bearing and install the new one. I think they charged $20-30.

Yeah....I called Firestone and they said no problem! When I get there they tell me they won't touch it because I brought it in. Next place I went to said it would be 30 minutes and $55. After dropping it off, I return and they said they won't do it. Third shop, same thing.

I was actually surprised to find 3 shops that are open right now, but I'm still back to square one....

Anyone know of a shop in SoCal that is able to do it???

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yeah....I called Firestone and they said no problem! When I get there they tell me they won't touch it because I brought it in. Next place I went to said it would be 30 minutes and $55. After dropping it off, I return and they said they won't do it. Third shop, same thing.

I was actually surprised to find 3 shops that are open right now, but I'm still back to square one....

Anyone know of a shop in SoCal that is able to do it???
PepBoys will do it! I brought mine in to a local PepBoys, they took 30mins and only charged $30.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
All thats holding it in, is a snap ring, take that out, press out the old bearing, press in the new bearing, put on the snap ring, press in the hub (make sure to turn the spindle as your are doing it), and be done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
All thats holding it in, is a snap ring, take that out, press out the old bearing, press in the new bearing, put on the snap ring, press in the hub (make sure to turn the spindle as your are doing it), and be done.
if we are referring to a 4x4 fj front wheel bearing no it does not have a snap ring after removal fo the hub/bearing assy u press the hub out the front of the bearing assy then using a angle grinder cut a slot in the inner bearing race but not all the way through using a chisel in the slot u cut hit it with a hammer this wll crack the race then can be removed easily by tapping it off with a hammer, the setup ur speaking of is mostly on corolla's camry's etc,, since fj 4run and tacoma use this type of bearing i replace them daily i am a master certified yota tech myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts