Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Next saturday (May 17) my wife and I will be in New Orleans for the day and we want some suggestions on places to go or see to pass the time. We will be in Lafayette on friday for our company's annual luncheon and have dinner plans saturday night in New Orleans with my partner and her spouse. But we arent driving back to mobile till after dinner hence the need to kill time for most of the day.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Weve been to NO alot and have seen or been to the main attractions.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Not exactly sure about what you have / have not already done but you can start here:

NOLA.com

It does not look like there are any festivals or anything going on next weekend. Maybe Kim (neworleansparrothead) can help you out. She seems to be in the know of what's going on about town. Try sending her a PM. :roller:

Then again, the suggestion above may not be too far off the mark. If you haven't been here in a while, one of the Katrina tours (or drive around yourself) can be very enlightening / depressing! :roller:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Walk around the French Quarter.
Drink.
The steamboat tour (altough a little touristy) is pretty cool.
Your wife might like the shops on Magazine St.
There's plenty of ways to kill some time, it's just too early for me to think right now...

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Definitely look at Magazine Street for shopping. I tend to spend WAY too much money there though.

The French Quarter is always good for a walk around and window shopping. The aquarium is back up and is a really nice, cool way to spend an afternoon.

Hubby suggests Cafe Dumonde for coffee and biegnets. Also the River Walk is a nice spot to shop as well and that is within walking distance of Cafe. Also you could take a carriage tour. Those are really nice. Also, Harrah's is up and running so if you like to take a chance or two, that is an option. Gordon Biersch is open next to Harrahs's. That is a nice micro brewery that my Hubby happened to build. Nice seasonal beer there.

Where are you guys having dinner? Emeril's is open. Gallitoire's is awesome and of course there is Commander's.

Kim

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didnt know about Magazine St and the shopping, we may have to check it out. Done the River Walk more times then i can remember,same for the French Quarter, also done the carraige rides. Missed the river boat ride last time so we may hit that, thanks for mentioning it. I also forgot the aquarium, we'll look into that one. May try to go to the brewery also.

Dinner is at The Melting Pot, my ex-partner has been to other ones and wants us to go with her and her hubby. Id rather not take a Katrina Tour. We were there for new years eve '05 and I remember how eerie it was to come across and off the lake and it was pitch black. We've been back over a few times and I still find it depressing and sad. It's the same we had on the Mississippi coast but a larger scale.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Definitely look at Magazine Street for shopping. I tend to spend WAY too much money there though.

The French Quarter is always good for a walk around and window shopping. The aquarium is back up and is a really nice, cool way to spend an afternoon.

Hubby suggests Cafe Dumonde for coffee and biegnets. Also the River Walk is a nice spot to shop as well and that is within walking distance of Cafe. Also you could take a carriage tour. Those are really nice. Also, Harrah's is up and running so if you like to take a chance or two, that is an option. Gordon Biersch is open next to Harrahs's. That is a nice micro brewery that my Hubby happened to build. Nice seasonal beer there.

Where are you guys having dinner? Emeril's is open. Gallitoire's is awesome and of course there is Commander's.

Kim
X2 on Cafe Dumonde! Having coffe and biegnets across from the church along the sidewalk in the morning is the only way to experience Nawlins :D Then a nice walk along the rivewalk checking out the street players. :)

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
I didnt know about Magazine St and the shopping, we may have to check it out. Done the River Walk more times then i can remember,same for the French Quarter, also done the carraige rides. Missed the river boat ride last time so we may hit that, thanks for mentioning it. I also forgot the aquarium, we'll look into that one. May try to go to the brewery also.

Dinner is at The Melting Pot, my ex-partner has been to other ones and wants us to go with her and her hubby. Id rather not take a Katrina Tour. We were there for new years eve '05 and I remember how eerie it was to come across and off the lake and it was pitch black. We've been back over a few times and I still find it depressing and sad. It's the same we had on the Mississippi coast but a larger scale.
I know what you mean about the Katrina deal. I live with it everyday. I was driving a different route yesterday from the Lakefront and hit a huge pocket of homes that have not even been touched. It is pretty depressing.

I also thought about the Museum of Art over in City Park. They have a really nice exhibit of Rodrigue paintings (the Blue Dog guy). Another really nice museum is the D-Day museum. In my opinion, it rivals the Smithsonian on WWII stuff. It is a very nice exhibit.

As far as the Melting Pot goes, our son waited tables there 2 summers ago. They have not been doing well in the recent past. I think the nostalgia wore off here.

Kim

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Ah.. Lafayette.. I'd take the biggest cooler I could get my hands on. Last time I was there, I had so much andouille and boudin that dogs chased us back across the Smokies.. LOL.. Have Fun.. Ron

Hi all,

Next saturday (May 17) my wife and I will be in New Orleans for the day and we want some suggestions on places to go or see to pass the time. We will be in Lafayette on friday for our company's annual luncheon and have dinner plans saturday night in New Orleans with my partner and her spouse. But we arent driving back to mobile till after dinner hence the need to kill time for most of the day.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Weve been to NO alot and have seen or been to the main attractions.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Oohh, I forgot about the D-Day musuem, I went there a couple of weeks ago, it's REALLY worth checking out!

If you decide to do the boat tour, don't do like my friend and I and make a drinking game out of everytime they say Katrina or hurricane....

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips. We plan on hitting Magazine St and the brewery, maybe the aquarium, I havnt been there in years.

The trip so far has been great. Our luncheon yesterday was good, Les Miles was our speaker. Dinner last night was in Carencro at Pauls Pirouge-good food. I planned on hitting Cajun Off Road in Scott to look around but a trail derailment and hazmat has that area evacuated. Glad I dont work in this area.

Only got stopped once over the Atchafalaya Basin-apparently going 80 in a 60 is bad, trooper let me go, It turns out wearing green (Acadian Ambulance uniform) helps a lot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts