Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Need more bass

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ND40oz 
#1 ·
Just installed an alpine dvd / cd, 2 sets of alpine 6.5 components, and a pair of JL 10s in that wicked Cass box for the FJ

Alpine 5 channel amp 75X4 and 300X1 mono to the subs. Not thrilled with the bass quite yet.

I have the fronts and rears crossed over at 110 and the subs at 100.

I've played with the crossover points a bit just can't seem to find the sweet spot.

Anyone got any tips?

I listen to rock, just want clean tight punchy bass. Do I need more watts?

Detail that may be important. The box was very resonant as it came, thin fiberglass, bang on it and it went dong.....

I put a few strips of dynamat in there wanting to avoid resonance but I'm thinking I may have dampened it too much? What do you think?

Dave

See less See more
#7 ·
That's going to give you an 8 ohm load, wire them in parallel and drop it to 2 ohm, the pdx-5 should handle that according to it's specs, it's rated at 300w for 2 or 4 ohm loads. What did it's spec sheet say it actually put out under testing?

#9 ·
You COULD always get more subs!!!
JK, but seriously, either they are out of phase, or you need a bigger amp

#10 ·
Got this fixed

Adjusted gain, on the three channels all were equal at about 75%. Bass channel now at 80%, two mid / tweet channels now at 60%. The fronts were just overpowered in relation to the bass channel so when I cranked it I got muddy low mids and too loud mid freqs.

Also adjusted crossover bass cutoff at 90hz, mid / high at 110.

It's got that chest thumping punch now. Disturbed sounds like they should.

BTW whoever gave my thread 2 stars needs to get down to 7/11 and fill out an application to get a life.

Dave

#11 ·
Good to hear, since you're listening to Disturbed I gave this thread 5 stars.

Still wondering if your subs are wired at 8 ohms though, if they really are 4 ohm and wired in series I'd change that as well, the pdx-5s bass channel is supposed to have a 2 to 4 ohm load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.