Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJ M/T Arctic Silver 285/70/17 no BMC no Rub
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon Family,

Question for yall I got these TEQ stickers that I love and would look great on my Rig, I bought them to place on my black trim at the bottom of the driver side door. I cleaned the area with a degreaser and then with alchol wipes and I still couldnt get the vinyl to stick.
Any suggestions on what else I could try cleaning with to get it to stick? Or is this a poor place for it? I have only put stickers on the metal body and glass prior to this.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
if they are stickers they'll stick to paint just fine: is there a sticky/adhesive layer on the back? Did you peel off the transfer paper to expose the sticky surface?

If there is no adhesive after you pull off the transfer paper, they could be the kind that are meant to go on glass, and adhere via a thin film of water.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if they are stickers they'll stick to paint just fine: is there a sticky/adhesive layer on the back? Did you peel off the transfer paper to expose the sticky surface?

If there is no adhesive after you pull off the transfer paper, they could be the kind that are meant to go on glass, and adhere via a thin film of water.
Yeah there's a sticky side to it. I'm not trying to put on paint actually trying to put it on this black plastic area in the photo.

·
Premium Member
4,238 Posts
Hmmm, never tried to stick something to the plastic trim. Not a very smooth surface. I'm sure someone else has tired and will let us know.

Reactions: SenseiSmash

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
that material is very difficult to get anything to bond to, the grain makes it even worse

Might have to stick the sticker onto a flat plate and then screw that plate to the black plastic molding (mechanical attachment).

·
Admin
8,525 Posts
The plastic there has oils in it.... you likely won't have much luck with that.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,819 Posts
clean plastic trim with rubbing alcohol where you want the sticker to go

Reactions: REEL-M-N

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,819 Posts
to make the surface smooth:, use fine grit sandpaper , clean with rubbing alcohol

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
to make the surface smooth:, use fine grit sandpaper , clean with rubbing alcohol
So I put rubbing alcohol on it there and it certainly took a lot of black off it still didn't stick. Not sure I want to sand paper it. Is there an adhesive I could put on the back to get it to stick better? Aside from super glue and jb weld lol.
Maybe I should paint the decal I want on there and just use the sticker as a template to cut out a stencil for spraying .

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats probably not a good place for a sticker lol
Lol none of the places I put stickers are a
"good place for a sticker" of you don't believe me just ask my wife

Reactions: Lee44

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,819 Posts
So I put rubbing alcohol on it there and it certainly took a lot of black off it still didn't stick. Not sure I want to sand paper it. Is there an adhesive I could put on the back to get it to stick better? Aside from super glue and jb weld lol.
Maybe I should paint the decal I want on there and just use the sticker as a template to cut out a stencil for spraying .
that's all I got.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Odds are that molding is made of polypropylene: excellent UV resistance, great impact resistance, good flexibility, low cost, easy to mold but, by its very nature, almost impossible to stick anything to it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts