Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Need motor

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  football751 
#1 ·
Head gasket blown on 285,000 '08 motor. Anyone have one laying around they want to sell or know anyone in the Houston area that will rebuild one??? Please help. :crying

#2 ·
Head gasket isn't the end of the world unless the head or block is cracked. Did you overheat it?

#4 ·
I agree with the last two posts, have head checked and if it’s good, replace with new head gasket.
However, if something more is wrong and you need a good used motor, get ahold of Gadget at Underdog Racing Development. When mine threw a wrist pin through the side of the block, Gadget had one with 43k miles on it shipped to me for $3600. He’s got a good connection on those engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Missing cylinders could be catastrophic eventually but not always the end all. Pull your spark plugs and check wires to see if it's firing. If there's oil or something causing your cylinders to not fire, it's probably good to figure out so you can discuss it with a mechanic. Not sure if you have the time for that, but it's good to be prepared with the info.

#15 ·
There should be plenty of shops in Houston that can work on it. I've used Brave Motorsports for off-road mods (gears, welded gussets, CO spring swap) and he does great work. Not sure if he's into rebuilding engines, but if you decided to do a swap I bet he'd do that. Worth a shot anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.