Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a trip planned to go wheeling/sight-seeing with friends in Moab this weekend for about two months now. We have 8 people total, 4 dogs and 4 rigs. We were planning on staying in Arches National Park, but the government shutdown has really thrown a wrench in our plans. Having already called off work, and running out of warm days, cancelling the trip isn't an option.

The only campground I was able to find that seemed like a good fit was the Sand Flats Recreational Area, but they have a limit of 2 vehicles per campsite, so that won't work.

Does anyone know of a good campground that can accomodate the 8 of us with our 4 vehicles and dogs that isn't affected by the government shutdown?

Thanks in advance!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
35,753 Posts
I don't know of any of the BLM style, but if you want a private commercial one try the Moab Rim Campark or the Riverside Oasis. Moab Rim is on the south end and Riverside Oasis is on the north end just over the river. I used to stay at the Riverside during the Easter Safari and have stayed at the Moab Rim more recently with groups of FJ owners.

I hope you can find something.

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
You would have had a problem in the national parks with the dogs anyway...

BLM isn't closed, just national parks. Most of the open space around Moab is BLM land with no restrictions on government shutdown, or dogs.

The camp spots along the Colorado river on the north end of town might be an option.

Otherwise any BLM land is fair game with full access and few if any restrictions.

I have camped south of Moab off 191 at flat iron Mesa several times. Open space with primitive campgrounds through a maze of roads..there are no fees or hookups either. You probably won't see anyone else the whole time either :rocker:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, I did not realize BLM land was still open. Figured since the BLM is shut down they wouldn't let you use the land. Do you know of a map of BLM land that I could use to figure out where we can camp before actually getting there?

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Not sure if this is applicable:

Most Activities on BLM-Utah Managed Lands to be Suspended due to Federal Government Shutdown | ETV 10 News

Recreation activities on BLM-managed lands will be similarly impacted. Public lands receive more than 57 million visitors every year, contributing more than $7 billion to local economies. In FY2012, Utah received more than 6.9 million visitors contributing millions of dollars to local economies across the state.

In Utah, BLM closures will affect nearly 60 developed recreation sites and areas, including but not limited to the Little Sahara Recreation Area, and campgrounds in the Moab area, Westwater Canyon on the Colorado River, Desolation Canyon on the Green River, and the San Juan River. Alternative camping arrangements at Utah State parks may be explored at: Utah State Parks.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
35,753 Posts

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
Yea it's more than I thought, but none of the millions of acres of undeveloped BLM land is off limits, just some of the campgrounds and sites managed by the BLM. Pretty much any open space outside of private property, state, or national park is fair game. Anywhere South of Moab except the parks fits this bill.

If you want a developed campground it might be tough, but of you want to camp in the bush like I always do, you have tons of options :cheers:

Here's a link to an area I have camped several times, and it's a good scenic, somewhat technical offroad trail. It is like 18 miles south of Moab off 191.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=91

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
35,753 Posts
I did Flat Iron Mesa a few years ago just after getting all the mods done on my FJ. I was hurting that day so I took the bypass on the one big obstacle that loops up the hill and then down and over the ledge. The bypass skips the hill and goes down the ledge. I high centered the FJ just perfectly on the ledge. It would rock but not move. I was finally strapped ahead enough that I could move. I was bummed.

Very pretty area out there though with lots of scenery. I never have camped out in any of those areas as we always had a group of us together and with driver's meetings when I did the Safari I had to be able to get to them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
As an alternative you could take go to San Rafael swell. If it's a developed campground you're wanting the campground at goblin valley might work for you. It's a state park so it'll be open. The swell between goblin valley and hwy 70 has a lot of trails.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Sand Flats might still work for you. Each campsite is only big enough for two vehicles, but many are grouped very close together. Wouldn't be tough to get everyone in a pretty close group and use one of the sites as the primary meeting place or something. It's a gorgeous area and shouldn't be very busy this time of year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. I think we will plan to stay at the Sand Flats, and if that doesn't work for some reason, we'll head down to Flat Iron Mesa.

Now another question; anyone know if I can still get into Arches National Park? I know it's "closed", but I'm sure that just means the paved roads going into the park are closed. Are there 4x4 trails that can go into the park? If the 4x4 trails aren't blocked off, how's an out of stater like me supposed to know they are closed ;)?

Also, anyone know what kind of trouble you could get into if caught? Would they just ask you to leave?

Not saying I would actually go there, just asking hypotheticals.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
35,753 Posts
Red Rock 4-Wheelers, Inc. -

Not much info on fines. I've read everything from just being asked to leave up to and including $1000 & possible jail. Only certain thing out of all is that it seems to be per person and not per car load.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can camp at Dead Horse Point State Park assuming its still open. I've camped near there a ton of times. I usually don't camp inside the park, I have my own little "free" camping spot, but Dead Horse has a lot of nice campgrounds and beautiful scenery. Sand Flats can get dusty with all the vehicles CONSTANTLY driving up and down the gravel roads.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think we will plan to stay at the Sand Flats, and if that doesn't work for some reason, we'll head down to Flat Iron Mesa.

Now another question; anyone know if I can still get into Arches National Park? I know it's "closed", but I'm sure that just means the paved roads going into the park are closed. Are there 4x4 trails that can go into the park? If the 4x4 trails aren't blocked off, how's an out of stater like me supposed to know they are closed ;)?

Also, anyone know what kind of trouble you could get into if caught? Would they just ask you to leave?

Not saying I would actually go there, just asking hypotheticals.

I know Zion National Park is open to drive through, you just cant park and all the turn-outs are closed. Arches may be the same way.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The only roads open in National Parks are ones that are "throughways", like the road that cuts through Zion. The road in Arches is in and out.

I believe if caught in a closed NP it is up to a $500 fine and/or up to 6 months in jail. There are back ways via trails into Arches, but I'm sure the rangers know that as well and are keeping a lookout there as well.

Check out Area BFE(google it) for group camping, it is south of Moab, or there is a bunch of open unimproved areas out toward Kane Creek.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
i'm sure they'd be quick to hand out fines as they are not making any revenue on entrance fees now.....we need a new government!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts