Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need opinions on Bilstein, can you offroad with a 4600?

So I have a 2011 NSSE. As we all know if I had actually had a TT I would or any type of Toyota off road package I would get the Bilstein 4600 struts and shocks. Today I went into 4 wheel parts because I have a nice hook up there. As it stands right now I am not lifting my FJ because I like parking in my garage. I have the POS factory shocks which I tried on one trail and they need to go. At 4 wheel parts the guy told me because of what I was thinking (there is a possiblity that I will get a lift in the future) he reccomended that I do the 4600 struts and shocks for the time being. Originally he said I should do the 5100 but in order to get the price down he told me the 4600. I just need opinions. You think I am good to go with the 4600's or should I spend more money for the 5100. Keep in mind, I still might do a lift in the next year or so, I do not want to buy the best shock or strut because of that. Did I make the right choice?

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody have an opinion? Is it okay to use the 4600 for some offroad use or should I go with the 5100?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I am not that informed on this subject, but I do know that the TT comes with 5100, so if you did get the 5100 you'd still be able to fit into your garage. Of course if it's about cost then, yeah get a cheaper shock. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
5100s is the right choice in my opinion. Trail Teams come with Bilsteins, but not 5100s. I would definitely go with 5100s and set them on 3rd notch, that will level your FJ. Ride will be whole a lot better and no more nose dive. They are a bit more expensive then OEM Bilsteins, but totally worth it. Get 5100s for rear too, if you decide to lift in the future, you already have shocks that are longer travel and ready for lift.
Just my 02c

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Buying a less expensive shock is not a bad choice. Buying a cheap shock is. When and if you decide to change, there is not a big market for used shocks. That said, I'd put on the best shock I could buy for ride and comfort Just because the 5100 came on the TT why limit your search to one brand?

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buying a less expensive shock is not a bad choice. Buying a cheap shock is. When and if you decide to change, there is not a big market for used shocks. That said, I'd put on the best shock I could buy for ride and comfort Just because the 5100 came on the TT why limit your search to one brand?
Is there a brand that you think would be better?

Reactions: USMTTT

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it has been resolved. Bilstein does not make a 5100 for the 2011 FJ right now, I could probably get away with the shocks in the rear but no struts. I called back 4 wheels parts and he did tell me that the 4600's I got are channeled differently then the 4600 that come on the off road package of FJ's, Taco's, 4Runners, and Tundras. I will probably just stick with the 4600 for now and if and when I lift then I will worry more about it. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Spend the money, get the 5100's. Toytec builds their 1-3 front adjustable lift with that shock body, which simplify things & lower your overall cost in the end?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
well it has been resolved. Bilstein does not make a 5100 for the 2011 FJ right now, I could probably get away with the shocks in the rear but no struts. I called back 4 wheels parts and he did tell me that the 4600's I got are channeled differently then the 4600 that come on the off road package of FJ's, Taco's, 4Runners, and Tundras. I will probably just stick with the 4600 for now and if and when I lift then I will worry more about it. Thanks guys!
Vandy,
5100`s for 2007-2010 will work without problems on 2011. It`s a same suspension. I mean there are couple of differences, but not in the shock department. Go for 5100s, why settle for less.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am freaking out a little because I cannot find anywhere that says the 5100 can go on a 2011. Bilstein's website tells me to go with the ones I purchased which are the 4600HD. One thing I forgot to mention is I do offroad with this but this is primarily a highway vehicle. I am torn.
Vandy,
5100`s for 2007-2010 will work without problems on 2011. It`s a same suspension. I mean there are couple of differences, but not in the shock department. Go for 5100s, why settle for less.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just replaced the Off Road Pkg Bilsteins on my 2011 FJ with 5100's. No problems with installation, Fit same as 2007 and up. Set mine at the second notch from bottom and now level. Wouldn't use or recommend any other brand shock. Removed the leaky and worn X-REAS shocks from my wifes 2004 4Runner SE and installed the O/R Bilsteins I removed from the FJ. Improved both vehicles for the price of one set of shocks.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I am freaking out a little because I cannot find anywhere that says the 5100 can go on a 2011. Bilstein's website tells me to go with the ones I purchased which are the 4600HD. One thing I forgot to mention is I do offroad with this but this is primarily a highway vehicle. I am torn.
Don`t freak out :lol: If you don`t believe me, search forum for 2011 and Bilsteins or 2011 with Toytec ultimate installed. :bigthumb: There are few 2011 out there with either 5100s installed or Toytec ultimate which is using 5100s

·
Registered
599 Posts
Re: Need opinions on Bilstein, can you offroad with a 4600?

So I have a 2011 NSSE. As we all know if I had actually had a TT I would or any type of Toyota off road package I would get the Bilstein 4600 struts and shocks. Today I went into 4 wheel parts because I have a nice hook up there. As it stands right now I am not lifting my FJ because I like parking in my garage. I have the POS factory shocks which I tried on one trail and they need to go. At 4 wheel parts the guy told me because of what I was thinking (there is a possiblity that I will get a lift in the future) he reccomended that I do the 4600 struts and shocks for the time being. Originally he said I should do the 5100 but in order to get the price down he told me the 4600. I just need opinions. You think I am good to go with the 4600's or should I spend more money for the 5100. Keep in mind, I still might do a lift in the next year or so, I do not want to buy the best shock or strut because of that. Did I make the right choice?
What was it about the stock OEM suspension that you didn't like off road?

FYI: This website shows the 5100's for the 2011 FJ.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Those are HD Bilsteins Dave, not 5100s. I used to have those, they are good shocks, but not adjustable and rear ones are standard travel, so you can`t lift rear in the future.

Toytec has 5100 in stock... Give them a call, great company :bigthumb: Don`t forget to ask for dust covers for the front shocks :)

Note up top it says 2007-2011 ;)

Bilstein Height adjustable front and matching 5100 Rear shoc - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

What was it about the stock OEM suspension that you didn't like off road?

FYI: This website shows the 5100's for the 2011 FJ.
Thanks for the link

As for what I didn't like they are way too bouncy, espcially offroad. They are great on the highway but not on any trail with any bumps.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts

Thanks for the link

As for what I didn't like they are way too bouncy, espcially offroad. They are great on the highway but not on any trail with any bumps.
You forgot to mention the famous nose dive when breaking :)

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just saw that those are the HD which is what I ordered. Did you ever take your HD's off road? What kind of ride do you get with the 5100's? (Highway travel)
Those are HD Bilsteins Dave, not 5100s. I used to have those, they are good shocks, but not adjustable and rear ones are standard travel, so you can`t lift rear in the future.

Toytec has 5100 in stock... Give them a call, great company :bigthumb: Don`t forget to ask for dust covers for the front shocks :)

Bilstein Height adjustable front and matching 5100 Rear shoc - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

You forgot to mention the famous nose dive when breaking :)
LOL that too

·
Registered
599 Posts

Wups :shock:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts