Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about taking the family on a quick trip to Corpus (1 or 2 nights) and I need a recommendation for a safe, clean hotel preferrably near the beach.

Also, any suggestions on kid friendly activities (5 & 2 y.o. boys) would be great.

Thanks!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Only a Marriott
wrong

I've stayed at the Omni Bayfront... it was meh.
Total opposite side of Corpus from the real beach

FJ-Gorilla,

I would recommend stay on the "island" aka Padre Island. There are nice inexpensive(not this week, bc of spring break) hotels on Windward dr and Leeward dr, like Holiday Inn. Comfort Suites, Hampton Inn, or Best Western on the Island etc, etc. Try to stay away from the downtown or I-37 hotels, which are far from the beach and not much tourist stuff. For the boys you can take them fishing at the Packery Channel Jetties, close to Windward dr. Feel free to PM me or MrBigAxe or SouthTexasCruiser for anymore info.:wave:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Thinking about taking the family on a quick trip to Corpus (1 or 2 nights) and I need a recommendation for a safe, clean hotel preferrably near the beach.

Also, any suggestions on kid friendly activities (5 & 2 y.o. boys) would be great.

Thanks!

:cheers:
Unfortunately, JammerGirl and I used to stay at the cheapest place we could stand to sleep in. So, we have some stories.

Our first time in Corpus Christi together, we stayed for the first night at this Comfort Inn. No offense to anyone that works or has money invested there, but for us, it was just a dirty, stinky, trap, and we packed up and left promptly the next morning.....only reason we stayed that night at all was because it was too late when we got in.

The next night, we stayed at this Holiday Inn. It still wasn't the plush, fancy place that my taste (unfortunately) would really prefer, but it was a lot cleaner, nicer and was actually less expensive (and we went to the other place because we were part of a 'club' that's supposed to get us cheaper deals, etc).

When we first pulled into the parking lot, something looked familiar. Once we checked in and I actually saw the place....the front office room area....the restaurant (the Sandpiper)...the doors out to the beach out back........I realized....this was the same place where I stayed with my family when I was a kid.....so cool to have that moment.

I'm pretty sure there are many, many places nicer than this one, but for the low-budget angle we were taking on everything at the time, it was acceptable.

Oh.......that night, we ended up hanging out with the bartender.....left together with her when they closed (and some British guy) and went to another bar in town for a while.....what a trip!

Only a Marriott
Oh ya.....thanks to a special gift, we've been staying a these once in a while over the past couple years, and it's definitely a step up for us.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
wrong

Total opposite side of Corpus from the real beach

FJ-Gorilla,

I would recommend stay on the "island" aka Padre Island. There are nice inexpensive(not this week, bc of spring break) hotels on Windward dr and Leeward dr, like Holiday Inn. Comfort Suites, Hampton Inn, or Best Western on the Island etc, etc. Try to stay away from the downtown or I-37 hotels, which are far from the beach and not much tourist stuff. For the boys you can take them fishing at the Packery Channel Jetties, close to Windward dr. Feel free to PM me or MrBigAxe or SouthTexasCruiser for anymore info.:wave:
I agree with the above. Stay on the island if you are interested in the beach.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I agree with the above. Stay on the island if you are interested in the beach.
We will definitely be taking this advice on our next trip to the Gulf.

So....you're talking about this area here, right?

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
If you are not going to stay on the island then stay by the Lexington.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mustang Towers.

Mustang Towers on Mustang Island | Port Aransas Condos

It is near Port Aransas, but actually inside Corpus. Great highrise on the beach. Incredible view. Disclosure: We own #804.

Mustang Towers Unit 804 Virtual Tour Powered by RTV, Inc.

Remember you can drive on the beach from the state park to the jetty at Port A. A long and fun ride.

oldMattB

Looks really nice, I'm going to run this by the wife and possibly book 2-3 nights in April. Thanks! :cheers:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
We will definitely be taking this advice on our next trip to the Gulf.

So....you're talking about this area here, right?
That's the area.

The Mustang Towers option is decent too, but running the 80+ miles of Padre Island beach around and south of Corpus Christi is much more fulfilling than running the 11 miles of beach on Mustang Island. Also, there is a lot more in the way of good restaurants and other tourist-friendly establishments on Padre Island. But don't get me wrong. A weekend on Mustang Island or even just in Port Aransas alone can be a great weekend.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
That's the area.

The Mustang Towers option is decent too, but running the 80+ miles of Padre Island beach around and south of Corpus Christi is much more fulfilling than running the 11 miles of beach on Mustang Island. Also, there is a lot more in the way of good restaurants and other tourist-friendly establishments on Padre Island. But don't get me wrong. A weekend on Mustang Island or even just in Port Aransas alone can be a great weekend.
OK, cool.
Thanks, bro. :cheers:

I liked being so close to Joe's Crab Shack when we stayed downtown at the Emerald. It's out on the water, and a pretty cool place to eat great food (well, I'm a crab leg and clam chowder kinda guy).

Hopefully they have something like that on the island.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts