Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
[/IMG]
There are some great alternatives to the OEM Roof Rack. I swear by the Baja Utility Rack. Like "WUVY' mentioned they all make it hard to keep the roof clean.

·
Registered
468 Posts
+1 on the Prinsu rack. It is very popular on the tacoma forums. I too didn't want to deal with future rust issues with a baja rack, so the prinsu rack is on my list to order next month.

·
Registered
227 Posts
@FJtest talking the rear most brackets, that have the upright to fasten to the side wing plates. There's stress there from that angle on the bracket that does not match the angle of the roof.
My Prinsu does not have that issue at all. I've said it before, the wind noise is painful. I've tried it with a couple different valences. Right now I have a custom one notched for my rigid 40" light bar. So bad that I tore out the headliner and installed 40lbs of sound isolation. The tubing spacers that come with the rack to mount the side rails suck. There is nothing top secret on what to do to fix it. Machine UHMW or aluminum blocks to replace the spacers. I machined aluminum blocks with o-ring grooves around the bolt holes, then anodized them black. No sealant required. Suprizingly, all 6 blocks are different. Toyota has quite a bit of variance in the depth and width of the roof channels, along with channel fillers are cut. I think they do this at the port when the stock rack is installed.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My Prinsu does not have that issue at all. I've said it before, the wind noise is painful. I've tried it with a couple different valences. Right now I have a custom one notched for my rigid 40" light bar. So bad that I tore out the headliner and installed 40lbs of sound isolation. The tubing spacers that come with the rack to mount the side rails suck. There is nothing top secret on what to do to fix it. Machine UHMW or aluminum blocks to replace the spacers. I machined aluminum blocks with o-ring grooves around the bolt holes, then anodized them black. No sealant required. Suprizingly, all 6 blocks are different. Toyota has quite a bit of variance in the depth and width of the roof channels, along with channel fillers are cut. I think they do this at the port when the stock rack is installed.
is the wind noise more horrible than the stock rack?

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
you just helped me cross this roof rack of my list.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Because of my snorkel i can't have the the baja flat rack, the snorkel will hit the fairing. I'm undecided about RTT or not in the future so I was leaning more towards the Baja expedition rack.
That was my alternate choice! I was thinking I'd carry stuff in that front rack space and I've seen people carry scepter jugs up there. BTW, you can request them for certain things. Maybe you can do a custom order. And now that I think about it, I'd totally order a mesh rack instead of the bars.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I dont have wind noise on my Prinsu Rack. Of course, I dont run a light bar or have the light bar cutout. Just the front valance. I moved the valance/wind deflector down about 1 inch on the angle. I added the t-slot covers to the 80/20 grooves and no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZVOZYC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
:wink
smracing -
A machined spacer block with O-ring face seals on the bottom surface, where the spacer sits on top of the steel bracket that retained the "rack delete" cover plates, is ideal. But how did you seal the TOP of the spacers, that are straddled by the long adjustment slot in the rack mounting feet?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've been very happy with my Warrior Products rack. I did have a little rust issue, but they sent me out everything I needed to touch it up. I did have a harmonic vibration from wind around 35 mph - went away with the addition of the air dam.

holds the awning great, yakima skybox easily. no mesh floor

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
@b_minus
Nice set up. It's nice to see it on your FJ cuz mine is the same year and color. It's like the Tire Rack thing where you can put different wheels on your car and see what you like best. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I dont have wind noise on my Prinsu Rack. Of course, I dont run a light bar or have the light bar cutout. Just the front valance. I moved the valance/wind deflector down about 1 inch on the angle. I added the t-slot covers to the 80/20 grooves and no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZVOZYC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@SilvFx
1. How does the valance/wind deflector move?
1.1 Is it easily adjustable or is that a mod you did? can you show pics?
2.How many sides, or which side, did you add the t-slot covers to?

Thanks,
Sea_Lint

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
@SilvFx
1. How does the valance/wind deflector move?
1.1 Is it easily adjustable or is that a mod you did? can you show pics?
2.How many sides, or which side, did you add the t-slot covers to?

Thanks,
Sea_Lint
1. valance mounts to 80/20 crossbar via screws. Crossbar w valance mounts to side rails that are predrilled with mounting holes where two screws go through the side rails and hold the 80/20 cross bar on each side. If I recall correctly the screw holes are predrilled 1" in apart. I added a 3rd hole (carefully drilling the sidebars) 1 " further down toward the roof along the angle of the side rails. Moved the crossbar down to now use the two lowest holes and left the 3rd hole open.

2. I did overkill by adding the tslot covers to every slot. There are 6 slots on every crossbar (2 on top, 2 on bottom, 1 on front, 1 on back). You should know that I NEVER had wind noise from the 80/20 rails without the T slot covers. I added the t slot covers because I was getting a harmonic vibration (literally like a tuning fork) at approx 32-40 mph. You could reach up and feel the rack vibrating. As you sped up the vibration would go away. I figured it was the slots in the 80/20 that were catching some wind and vibrating. Added the T-slot covers and it went away.

My daughter's boyfriend has a Tacoma DoubleCab and bought the Prinsu Rack. He was getting a bit of a whistle at speed and I gave him some leftover tslot covers and he put them on the front, top and bottom on the first couple of crossbars and that eliminated his wind noise.

For full disclosure, rather than using the 3/4" sleeves that Zach provides for mounting the rack, I used UHMW HDPE blocks (about 3/4" x 3/4" x 4") that I drilled out for the bolt holes and used a rubber gasket between the HDPE blocks and the roof along with permatex gasket #2 (the black tarlike stuff). I had previously had a Stornco product that attached the Yakima Towers and crossbars that used alum blocks with rubber gaskets to go into the factory rack mount holes and then attached the Yakima Towers via threaded screws into the the alum block. The HDPE mounts that I made were close copies of the Stornco mounts. Daughter's boyfriend used the mounting sleeves that Prinsu provided on his Tacoma rack.

I'll see if I can get some pictures, but I am knee deep at the moment in redoing the upper balls joints and front coilover bushings on my daughter's 4Runner while she is away on Spring Break and using all my free time to get a long list of things done.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Gobi Stealth with lights and a dam has never made wind noise.

I cut the 2 high cross members out and weld one where I need it.

Used butyl rubber windshield gasket to seal roof mounts, self healing with no leaks unlike the OEM foam gaskets.

Solid with no drama.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I started out using the 80/20 "T-slot cover" material, but it is very thin and delicate. It may work to streamline airflow across the T-slot, but it isn't suitable for the top T-slot of the cross bars if you intend to actually put cargo on the rack.

I mounted a Maggiolina hard-shell RTT on my Prinsu, and on rough roads the cross bars flexed enough to hammer loudly on the bottom of the RTT shell. I first tried the T-slot cover material in the top slot of the cross bars, but it was too thin and too rigid to provide any damping or isolation effect, and the clamping load of the RTT mounts forced it down into the T-slot.

I then replaced the T-slot covers with 80/20's thick rubber "tread strip" material (P/N 12006). It's a lot more expensive than the T-slot covers, but is much more robust, and completely eliminated the hammering of the cross bars against the RTT shell. It also fits much more securely in the T-slot than the thin PVC T-slot cover does.

Here's a piece of the rubber tread strip:

Versus a piece of the thin PVC T-slot cover:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
@SilvFx
Thanks for all the info and I hope the 4Runner work went well.So I ordered the Prinsu rack and I asked Zach about additional air deflector parts.
Here was his reply.
"I offer a rubber gasket that attaches to the bottom of the wind deflector and helps to close the gap between the roof and the deflector. "
I asked him to add it to my order. Thanks to everyone that provided info about racks. Super stoked on my new FJ and this forum. It looks like this is gonna be a long term relationship. Cheers. Sea_Lint

21 - 40 of 43 Posts