Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have towed in the past but it was a manual GMC dually and as this is my first time towing with an SUV so I have some questions and I hope others with FJ towing experience can help.

My 07 FJ has an AT with 17" tires and a leveling lift in the front, travel trailer is 19' dual axle, 247 lbs tongue weight, 3330 dry with electric brakes, a load/leveling hitch, and I have had a brake controller installed.

I will be towing on the Prairies with no mountains or long hills this year in 70 degree weather.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I need a tranny cooler?

2. The trailer is 8' wide do I need different mirrors?

3. Will the 247 lbs be fine for the rear suspension?

4, Any other pointers/advice?

Thanks as always you guys and this forum are incredible!!:rocker:

Randy:bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Re: Was hoping to have spme feedback as I am nervous towing with my FJ

I would put a tranny cooler on. Heat kills any AT. The cooler you keep the tranny the happier you will be. The rest sounds like you have thought this out pretty well. Maybe mirrors need some attention.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks what is involved in having a cooler installed?

Randy

·
Registered
4,384 Posts

Mounting the cooler where it will do the best and not be in the way and routing the lines to the tranny. Overly basic description.

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
3. Will the 247 lbs be fine for the rear suspension?
I would say you should look at some help for the rear end in the form of some air springs. I know that AirLift and Firestone both have FJ-specific setups for less than $100. If you want pushbutton controls and an onboard compressor prices can run above $300. I can tell you from personal experience that when you get 200-300lbs tongue weight on the hitch (as I've done with my cargo carrier) the stock rear springs are way too soft and there is obvious squat. Not to mention the FJ's high beams will be pointed at the sky and your low beams will be blinding everyone. This will probably be even more pronounced on any FJ with just a front-end leveling kit.

Beyond that I'd say you're on the right track. You're right to wonder about the transmission temps. I don't know myself and look forward to hearing more from you as this progresses. Since you already have some towing experience just take things slowly, trust your own judgment, and find out what works for you. :cheers:

You can find 'em cheaper by Googling, but here's the Part #s...
Air Lift Company
Firestone Industrial Products Company

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
247lbs on the tongue is fine.
The rear suspension can easily handle it. It is designed with a rake for this very purpose.

If you want to reduce the tongue weight, buy some cheap workout weights (45lb-ers) or lead tractor weights, and place those in the trailer behind the rear axle location to reduce the tongue weight.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
You should be able to level the trailer with hitch, just keep adding chain links to it to raise the fron end. Crank the jack down and have the rear raised about 4 inches and clamp the chain. You should be close.

I would put an anti sway bar on it, the FJ is not the most stable vehicle at highway speeds and a semi passing you without the sway control may have very adverse affect on the whole unit.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should be able to level the trailer with hitch, just keep adding chain links to it to raise the fron end. Crank the jack down and have the rear raised about 4 inches and clamp the chain. You should be close.

I would put an anti sway bar on it, the FJ is not the most stable vehicle at highway speeds and a semi passing you without the sway control may have very adverse affect on the whole unit.
Thanks I was told the equalizer hitch I bought will help but the short wheelbase of the FJ is a concern to me.

Randy

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Lol another towing question..
No trans cooler is need but it won't hurt to add one.

250lb tounge weight will be no problem and you should be fine with mirrors just adjust them out.

How do I know..
1) I tow a 21' v nose trailer that's 101" wide. For that I have a weight distribution hitch with sway control and also has electronic brakes.

2) I also tow a 25' boat. The tounge weight is around 400lbs (atleast) I do not run a load control system and it tows just fine. I have pro comp rear springs

The fj tows both trailer extremely straight and I haven't had any problems!

With the discription of your trailer you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
The FJ is capable of towing the trailer with no problems in normal use, under emergency situations, IE quick lane change, braking while turning sharply, the anti sway will help you out greatly. The FJ is not a quick response vehicle in a sense, it is top heavy and can get out of control quite easily. Just be careful with it. I have towed trailers for 40 years, I will say the FJ is not my favorite tow vehicle, but driven safely with what you have behind you in mind at all times you should have no problems. You have done everything that is needed. Mirrors, I think should be extended. If you can see the rear side marker while driving you are fine. Also remember when towing you are normally going slower than other traffic, pull over and let them by if you see you are holding people up, that way you do not have some ahole cut you off as he is peeowed.

Have fun.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow thanks guys!!

This helps immensely. :)

I am picking it the trailer Saturday and dropping it off Sunday for a bike rack install but will take it easy and enjoy cruising in the Cruiser.

Will report back afterwards.

Randy

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
The FJ is capable of towing the trailer with no problems in normal use, under emergency situations, IE quick lane change, braking while turning sharply, the anti sway will help you out greatly. The FJ is not a quick response vehicle in a sense, it is top heavy and can get out of control quite easily. Just be careful with it. I have towed trailers for 40 years, I will say the FJ is not my favorite tow vehicle, but driven safely with what you have behind you in mind at all times you should have no problems. You have done everything that is needed. Mirrors, I think should be extended. If you can see the rear side marker while driving you are fine. Also remember when towing you are normally going slower than other traffic, pull over and let them by if you see you are holding people up, that way you do not have some ahole cut you off as he is peeowed.

Have fun.

Yes, do not hog the road!
It doesn't tow like a full size truck with a diesel engine but compared to a full size suv it does fine. I guess it also depends on how good of a trailer you have.
I towed my wide body enclosed through palm springs on a windy day and the only problem was the fuel miliage.. 6mpg+/- only about 90-100 miles per the tank of gas.
The gust moved me but don't over react to the wheel and you will stay straight.
I only have 20yrs towing experience but I towed everyday for the past 7 years. Plus driving a 34' RV with 25' boat was not easy in the wind.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Just pay attention and never be in a rush to get somewhere...

Reactions: TL Johnson

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, what is the length, tongue weight, and dry weight of your trailer?

Randy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts