Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new FJ and need some help wiring up some electrical stuff.
Ive got the following things to power

Viair 380c compressor
Cobra 75 WXST radio
Alpine class D amp (cant remember the model but its 400w @4ohm)
LED emergency lights front and rear

I want the compressor and CB to only run when the key is on. What can I hook to for that signal? The compressor is also for a set of air horns so how do I hook that into the stock horn switch? I thought about the Blue Marine power block but I dont know how much it can run. The lights are about 12 amps max. I plan on taking the amp power on from the stock sub switch.

Basically I dont know what needs to go straight off the battery and what could go off a power block. I wanna keep this neat and not look like a rats nest of wires going all over. All Ive ever done before now is simple single amp installs.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I just got a new FJ and need some help wiring up some electrical stuff.
Ive got the following things to power

Viair 380c compressor
Cobra 75 WXST radio
Alpine class D amp (cant remember the model but its 400w @4ohm)
LED emergency lights front and rear

I want the compressor and CB to only run when the key is on. What can I hook to for that signal? The compressor is also for a set of air horns so how do I hook that into the stock horn switch? I thought about the Blue Marine power block but I dont know how much it can run. The lights are about 12 amps max. I plan on taking the amp power on from the stock sub switch.

Basically I dont know what needs to go straight off the battery and what could go off a power block. I wanna keep this neat and not look like a rats nest of wires going all over. All Ive ever done before now is simple single amp installs.
There's write-ups covering most of what you've asked here in the technical articles section.

As for some specifics, search some of these key terms and you'll get some good stuff:
-For stuff turning on when the key is on, you'll want to use an "add-a-circuit" tapped into an ignition-on circuit.
-You can use the add-a-circuit to fire a relay, which you can run your compressor and CB's power from.
-A power block (like the blue sea systems) can provide probably up to about 60A, but I can't imagine you using over 40A continuous...
-The air horns will have an electronic solenoid switch and should come with instructions for how to connect the factory horn wire to actuate it, otherwise it's just a matter of asking here if you don't understand your wiring diagram or what not.

Having said all of that, the fuse block would be a good place to start for your numerous electrical mods you have listed here. Check out some of the technical articles such as LandCruiserSteve's relay-triggered fuse panel write-up and the Cobra 75WXST install one too, they might help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts