Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Amsteel 5/16 Synthetic Winchline and I am looking to switch from a Standard Thimble and Warn Hook to a Safety Thimble and Shackle for my Winching

Looking for any information/How To's on how to Cut my Line and resplice it with a Safety Thimble

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Do you get 4WD Toyota Owners Magazine, they
had an article on this and show the how too, I
am sure it's prolly online somewhere too... I did
a search and came up with alot of links on yahoo
and google...

·
Registered
478 Posts
I currently have Amsteel 5/16 Synthetic Winchline and I am looking to switch from a Standard Thimble and Warn Hook to a Safety Thimble and Shackle for my Winching

Looking for any information/How To's on how to Cut my Line and resplice it with a Safety Thimble

Thanks in advance
Look in the Technical Articles forum there is a very detailed write up on how to splice synthetic line. Also winchline.com has similar info.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys :rocker:

I found the instructions at the Tuff Stuff's website

Will not have enough time to do it before I leave

Free Beer for anyone at the Summit that can help me with it that has done it before

Thats one thing i dont want to screw up

·
Registered
447 Posts
Actually it takes less than 20 minutes for an eye splice, which is really what you are doing. Just have a good work surface, make sure the rope is clean and off you go. I have done them with a bic pen, but prefer a kit, especially when used on older, worn line.

Useful links are to Samson (Class 2 Eye Splice)

- Solo

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

Thanks in advance
Good idea Pilot. I think I'll follow your lead on this. Where did you get the thimble?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Thanks Guys :rocker:

I found the instructions at the Tuff Stuff's website

Will not have enough time to do it before I leave

Free Beer for anyone at the Summit that can help me with it that has done it before

Thats one thing i dont want to screw up
You know, you are camping with a Naval Parachute Rigger?
:cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.