Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - I bought the JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 sub to put in my truck installed with a new Alpine deck and JL amp. It will fit fine on the side of the trunk area where the factory sub goes.

However, I'm not sure the best way to secure the box there. Any suggestions? The back of the box is smooth wood covered by carpet. My only idea so far is to take the sub out of the box and drill holes where the hooks are screwed in and secure it to those holes, but I wasn't crazy about taking it a part and doing that if there was another option.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I have some that look similar. I attached with brackets on the outside. Remind me tomorrow and I will take some pictures and post them.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Use four brackets to attach. One on each side of the subwoofer

1. Subwoofer on each side

2. Right tirewheel subwoofer

3. Attached with bracket on each side (very simple)

4. Attached with bracket on each side (very simple)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
The only thought I had was to make a bracket that actually used the tie down bolts to attach to the vehicle with no drilling. (the tie down brackets are the ones just above Senor's)

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thought I had was to make a bracket that actually used the tie down bolts to attach to the vehicle with no drilling. (the tie down brackets are the ones just above Senor's)
I was thinking along the same line, but am not sure what to try that would be secure. Don't need the box taking flight.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Home Depot and Lowes sell some pretty heavy duty brackets in a lot of different varieties. They have some in the hardware section and also in the lumber section. It might be good to just set the subwoofer in place and see it's relation to those hooks. Then go see what kind of bracket options the hardware store has and see if anything would work well for what you're doing. Make sure you go with at least two heavy duty brackets bolted securely. You don't want a 40 pound missile coming at you in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
321 Posts
On mine I didn't want to drill holes in the panels so I bought some all-thread to go in place of the stock hook bolts and drilled 2 holes in the speaker box. It turned out really nice and the box is mounted solid.

here's a couple pics

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
On mine I didn't want to drill holes in the panels so I bought some all-thread to go in place of the stock hook bolts and drilled 2 holes in the speaker box. It turned out really nice and the box is mounted solid.

here's a couple pics

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
what size sub and type of box is that? It seems easier that buyin the 400 jl audio sub box

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
That's what I'm talking about. Nice clean install 94!

·
Registered
321 Posts
what size sub and type of box is that? It seems easier that buyin the 400 jl audio sub box
Its a Kicker Comp VT 12" shallow mount. I picked up the sub with the box for $145.00 from Hookedontronics.com, link: Kicker 10 TCVT12 2-Ohm 12" Enclosure Car Subwoofer Car Subwoofers 10TCVT122 10TCVT 12 2 subwoofer sub woofer in car auto speakers audio stereo dual pair shallow low flat mount depth inch cheap on sale power best single/dual voice-coil If you dont mind the bottom of the box sticking out 1"-2" past the lower panel then this sub is awesome! I am amazed how much bass this little box puts out, especially for the price.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

here's a couple pics

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
I like that - How did you tighten it down? Did you put nuts on the inside of the box? What size bolts did you get?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I like that - How did you tighten it down? Did you put nuts on the inside of the box? What size bolts did you get?
I went to my local nut and bolt store and got a 3' piece of all-thread, I want to say its M6x1.25 but I'm not positive so just take the bolt out of the hook and they can match it up. I used big flat washers, lock washers, nuts, a little silicone and some loctite on both sides of the box to give me forward and backward adjustability because the back of my box doesn't sit tight against the panel on my FJ.

heres a couple pics of the back of the box

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts