Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing a map light with Homelink in my truck tonight and had something go wrong. I tapped into the factory light with two wires running forward to the new map light. I had the battery disconnected while I was working on it and then reconnected it when finished. Everything seemed to be working fine. The new map light and all overhead lights were all working as they should with no issues. I was wrapping things up and started stuffing all the wires back into the headliner (the door lights were on due to the door being open) and then suddenly the interior lights went off. Not the dash lights, just the over head ones.

During the install, I soldered all the connections so my first thought was that maybe I messed up one. I disconnected the battery, went back and re-soldered everything, reconnected the battery. Still no lights.

Next I thought maybe I had blown a fuse somewhere, so I checked every fuse and they were all normal. I then went back over my wiring one more time, re-soldering things again and still no lights.

Everything on the truck is functioning normally, except for the interior overhead lights and the clock. The over head lights will not work at all and the clock will not work unless the headlights are on, but it is very dim.

I've done everything I know to do and I'm kinda at a loss. Electrical stuff isn't new to me and I never mess this kind of thing up. I don't really have any more ideas of what went wrong or how to fix it. But I've been trying to sort this out for the last 4 hours and I'm done for the night. I would greatly appreciate any help you guys could give. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I know you've already soldered it, but did you try removing what you've done? Like you were never up there to begin with.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did you check the fuse box in the engine compartment near the battery? I think the dome light fuse is there, not in the box under the dash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if that doesnt work try the bulbs ...sometimes instead of blowing fuses it blows the actual bulb fillament .....but the clock would be ok then .....if ud like a diagram of these lights just repost email and ill send ty .

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep checked the fuses under the hood and the bulbs. Both are okay. I'll use a test light and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went back and checked the fuses for a fourth time and still couldn't find anything. Thinking the problem had to be connected to the DOME fuse slot, I went ahead and swapped in a new 10A even though it looked okay and everything works as it should. I guess the fuse popped only slightly where it wasn't noticeable.

Still baffles me why the clock would work with the headlights on, but not when they were off. :confused:

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
94 Posts
With the headlights on, the clock is probably powered by the circuit the rest of the dashboard lights are on so that it can be dimmed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts