Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to add some acccesories to my FJ(of course). what do you think? A lucrumind winch mount, ladder on the back door (easyer to strap down the canoe), a rear bumper guard and rear light protectors. Would like to hear your experiances on this...Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
How do you intend on using your FJ?

Do you go offroading? Does it never leave the pavement? What other kind of activities are you into? Do you canoe kayak often?
Need some info in order to give good advice.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Hmm, if you are wanting to keep the factory look of the front bumper and would like a winch, the Lucrum winch mount is the only way to go. For the same price you could add something like the Demello bumper (which is very nice) I think they are both in the 7-800 price range. (if you are adding these, i would also suggest changing out the front springs to the OME 883 to prevent the front end from sagging, the springs cost 150 and install price will vary, but i'd say expect at least 100)

If you see mud a good bit when you do go out (like me living in Louisiana), i would say go with a mud terrain. Jeep Rubicons come with a 255/85/r17 BFG mud terrain tire. Most guys replace these. So you can usually find them practically new for dirt cheap. They are roughly a 32inx10in tire. So, great fuel economy, plus great off road traction.

Both of these options would be comparable in cost (considering mounting and balancing as well)

Cheaper options, just replace the front springs with Old Man Emu 883's to level the FJ out. Add some offroad lights to the front bumper. I
I am not a fan of the rear ladder for a few reasons. You have a rear bumper, and two tires you can stand on and still access ALL of the rack. No more open rear window.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was kind of hoping that the lucrumind winch mount wouldn't require a spring change like a custom bumper. How about A yellow top optima batt. do you guys think that will be better than the stock Pannasonic. I have one I can take out of my CJ before I sell it.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Yeah, get that Yellow Top and do a dual battery. The piece of mind you get by having that second battery under the hood is a REAL asset. Especially after a long day on the river, then you mount up the canoe just to find that you left a door ajar all day and the dome lights drained your battery down too low to start your rig. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I was kind of hoping that the lucrumind winch mount wouldn't require a spring change like a custom bumper. How about A yellow top optima batt. do you guys think that will be better than the stock Pannasonic. I have one I can take out of my CJ before I sell it.
you can get away without changing the front springs with the Lucrum mount but a winch of anykind is going to give you front end sag. I'd suggest changing the springs, they are pretty cheap as modifications go. As for the Optima, definitly swap it or add it as a dual.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Go for the Lucrum winch mount and some aux. light up front and should be set, unless you want to get a lift and some tires and wheels.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
116 Posts
My two cents...
Tires first, unless you NEED something else first (I needed moose lights). If you're in sticky mud the Dunlop fall pretty short.
Winch/Bumper (or Lucrum mount) next.
I'd also keep the yellow top and do a dual battery.

I would skip on the ladder as well. I don't need it to get to the roof as the rear bumper, rear tires and with the doors open the side sills give me all the height I need to tie up a canoe. Unless your vertically challenged you don't need a ladder. However you might want the ladder for the look of it.

Welcome to the party and happy modding!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts