Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 412 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive looked at a couple reviews.

I am looking for suggestions on a good every day carry knife.

Some things i am looking for:
- Size: i don't believe there is a requirement for blade size in Louisiana (that would make it illegal to carry concealed), but i will have my CCW permit sometime soon so size isn't a huge issue.
I prefer to have something around 3-4"
- Weight: i prefer for it to be in the under 5oz category. Nothing heavy at all or i won't carry it all the time.
- Price: i don't want to spend over 60 bucks. So high quality benchmades are out of the question.

Also, do you prefer serrated or straight edge, pros cons for you?

Two of the knives i have looked at and would like something along these lines.
SOG flash 2

Kershaw Skyline

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have two that share EDC duties:

SOG Trident Knife With TigerStripe Finish From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools

Bought it here for $63 plus shipping: http://www.sog-knives.net/sog-knife.php?prodnum=TF-3

SOG Trident TF-3 for when I'm outdoors

-Lightweight
-Durable
-Assisted opening (very fast)
-Excellent clip
-Blade locks closed
-Blade coating very durable, prevents corrosion

:: Spyderco Product Details ::

Spyderco Delica in Stainless/SpyderEdge (serrated) for when I'm indoors

-Compact
-Sharp
-Cuts through everything
-Will not stain or corrode
-Easy to clean

As for the blade type, I definitely do not like having a fully straight blade. The combo plan/serrated like the SOG Trident above works well for EDC. The Spyderco can be had in plain, combo, or fully serrated...I would choose combo or fully serrated (again).

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I could name a few but at your price point I would consider the spyderco delica.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How about the Benchmade vex? $44

10750 Details | Benchmade

I'm looking for stores some where in my vicinity that carry the Spyderco Delica 4 or other Spydercos. I don't plan on buying anything over the web because i want to see what it feels like in my hand and the actual weight/size.

I've been looking at a couple reviews from Nutnfancy over on youtube. Some of his reviews are so long for like 5 minutes worth of "meat" though :lol:

·
Registered
92 Posts
The "Ripple" from CRKT - a Ken Onion design with flipper action and 59-60 Rc.

Considering the latter, as well as blade size, EDC blade can be a pain if their too big. I prefer something sleek with a 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inch blade made of durable steel that will stand up between sharpenings. The knives noted are great knives. However, AUS8, though it will take of a hair-shaving edge, the edge will be a little less durable than, say, 154 CM, ATS34, S30V, or D2 which also have a Rc rating around 60. It doesn't sound like much difference between the 57-59Rc of well tempered AUS8. I have several knives made with AUS 8 and love them. They just require a bit more maintenance. I suppose this is the long way of saying, for EDC stick with hard steel that will stand up to EDC.

Careful... don't cut yourself! :ninja:

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
*Top: William Henry - Titanium body with 3 1/4 inch ZDP198 @ Rc64
*Middle: William Henry - Titanium Body with 3 1/4 inch Wharncliff blade of ATS 34 @ 60Rc.
**Bottom: Al Mar SLB - Black Micarta with 1 1/4 sout blad of AUS8 @ Rc 57-59.

*These two knive, though pricey are lightweight, durable knives for EDC. You don't know you're carrying them until you need 'em.

**I often carry this for quick snips, in combination with one of the above.

Good luck... Picking an EDC knife is worse than picking toothpaste!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I have a couple SOG knives and they are great... However, the CRKT m-16 is one of my fav EDC's. Pocket Knife - M16-10KZ - CRKT

I don't like to pay more than $50 bucks on an EDC knife. 2 reasons: I don't want to feel bad when I am rough on it or lose it. Anyway, the m16 has a strong blade, very light handle, slim, good pocket clip, and great locking blade mechanism. It comes in many flavors too (handle materials, colors, and blade configs). It doesn't have a spring assist... but, I like the snap of the wrist opening system.

I have a SOG Blink that I like to carry when I want something smaller: Blink I love the opening mechanism of SOG knives.

I had a snapon version of that Kershaw... well similar. I never had any complaints. Don't know what happened to it?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
sog flash II sucks. i have the aluminum handled one. for EDC it seriously blows. the safety always gets turned on so it wont open when it wants too.. worst torsion bar feel i've ever come across. might as well be full of sand.

go with benchmade. i carry a benchmade dejavoo. its awesome. love it. super smooth. the s30v holds an edge like nobodys business and its easy to sharpen. the thumbhole is easy to open with. thumbholes are the only way to go. i used a griptillian everyday for work. neither my sogs or kershaws could take that kind of abuse.

·
fka fatbrat40
2,489 Posts
Kershaw Ken Onion design 45.00 has serrated on the back 1/3 of the blade
holds an edge very well. flip lock
I have had this one for 4 years now great everyday

·
Registered
92 Posts
S30V is probably my favorite and Benchmade does make an awesome product.

I have a Microtech in S30V that I sharpened with a 25 degree angle (polished razor sharp). I used to to trim 4 inch PVC for a french drain. After trimming a total of three sections, it still shaved hair off my arm.:ninja:

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The benchmade Vex is also made in China, which is a big knock for me as i would also prefer made in the states

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sog flash II sucks. i have the aluminum handled one. for EDC it seriously blows. the safety always gets turned on so it wont open when it wants too.. worst torsion bar feel i've ever come across. might as well be full of sand.

I have heard this from others as well.
I have also heard the AUS8 steel that is used in the blade isn't the best at rust resistance. Does yours have any spots of rust at all?

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
My knife is the benchmade model 530 pardue

Its a great knife for everyday use, 3.25" blade, light and thin so its not a burden or annoying in your pocket. Holds a good edge, comfortable in your hand and has a good lock. I would recommend it to anyone.

But right now I've using my buddies knife that I borrowed.
Its the Cold Steel Recon I - Tanto PT. 1/2 serr.

This is a beast! love this knife its big, heavy, a work horse with a 4" blade. Only down side is its not supper comfortable in the pocket, but I don't mind that. Would be worse if you have tight pants or are a smaller guy.

Both are a little over $100 MSRP
I've carried some Bucks and kershaw in the past the Buck was a great knife the Kershaw not so much. Wouldn't hold an edge and the spring assist broke on me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
layonnn, are you used to a tip up carry or tip down, i have both and get confused in the natural motion of pulling the knife out of the pocket and opening. buy the style that you are used to.
kevin

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Texican
8,572 Posts
I carry a CRKT Apache and / or Seahawk with me. The ones I have are full serrated and get used often. I enjoy them and I get some strange reactions to the Seahawk because of its reverse curved blade.

EDIT: The knife I no longer carry (cause I did some research on it and found it had quadrupled in value!) is a Buck 186 Titanium.

1 - 20 of 412 Posts