Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally ordering a Baja Utility rack today! :rocker: Do you have suggestions on commercial products to mount a Hi-Lift, shovel, and ax to it?

Here is the link to the rack: Baja Rack

Thanks!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Search. There are many threads here with clamps from several vendors to mount Hi-Lift jacks, shovels, axes, etc. Check out vendor sites as many of them offer stuff such as Joel/Ellis Precision, All-Pro, Demello, etc. Some people made their own.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's just it there are a lot of good suggestions and some hacked together ideas but after reading ALL of them, I can't seem to get consensus. Time to abuse the search function...

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Fourtreks seems to be one brand a lot use although pricey and some have come up with stuff from the local Home Depot to make something similar. If you are just needing something temporary for a camping trip or off road trip that doesn't need to lock you could probably use the Quick Fist clamps. Hi-Lift makes their own mounting clamp that could work and there are a lot of different mounts for shovels/axes for Jeeps so a place like Quadratec might help. It also depends on if you want a separate mount for each item or a combination mount, and if it's going to mount on a flat surface or a tube.

FOURTREKS HOME

https://www.allprooffroad.com/fjaccessories/fjroofrackmounts

Hi-Lift Accessories - Jack Cover, Tube Mount, Handle Keeper, Lift-Mate, Off-Road Base, Off-Road Kit, 4XRAC, LOC-RAC, Bumper Lift, Jack Protector, Fix-It Kit | Hi Lift Jack Company

Garvin Industries
FJ Cruiser

http://www.warriorproducts.com/universal-parts/shovel-axe-mounts/

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm dealing with an odd rack. That's why I posted the link. It is FLAT. No 2nd rail to get things off the roof. I may have to actually get it installed and go from there.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only accessories Baja has listed is for an awning, fuel cans and ladder. It is looking like it's fab time.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
A mount like Joel's or the Fourtreks style where they clamp to the tubing would work on that rack.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My shovel and axe are mounted with stainless hose clamps. Cheap and easy. It holds the tools very close to the rack.
Vaughn

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe you can use the standard shoel and axe mount to mount tools on top op the rack. I'd call them and see
Their standard mounts leverage the stacked tubes along the sides. There is only one perimeter tube on the edge with this model. Not sure of the spacing between tubes on the surface. Will wait until it gets installed and then pester Metal Tech for custom mounts.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Fourtreks has a whole lot of different sizes, not just the standard FJ OEM Rack 1.75". If you're willing to fork out the money (I think it's a quality product) you can get whatever diameter you need likely.

My problem is I have plenty of quickfists and mounts... I'm just running out of ideas of what to mount up there!

Shovel, axe... mop? hockey stick? grill spatula?

Todd

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got off the phone with Sergio @ Baja Rack. He says they have the Hi-Lift and Shovel/Ax mounts just not on the site. He is sending pics and pricing now. Will post as soon as I get the info. I know there were 1 or 2 other members that ordered the same rack over the last couple of weeks...

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I use Fourtreks for both awning mounts, my shovel/axe mount, my fog lights, and some other miscellaneous stuff. it's super flexible and can do damned near anything. Snag the gas can kit from Baja though, it's awesome!

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^
Wife is prodding me to get a couple of them. One to hold water and the other for fuel. It seems a little overkill. I'm thinking one mount and one can each of fuel and water. Now I'm thinking if they can be mounted under the back deck?

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yea, I got pricing from Baja on the mounts. Wife ordered the set for me since I could not make up my mind. Should be in later this week.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I just finished a 500mi road trip with the following config:
* three large pelican cases in a 2x1 config (2 over passenger side)
* four full jerry cans (2x gasoline, 2x water, 5gal each)

Everything was rock solid, no issues, no whistling, etc. The nice thing is with the BajaRacks fuel can holders, on the flat rack, there's actually room between the two that you could fit a fifth single-can jerry mount right between them. I have been looking off and on for a single-can mount that I could get between there that I like, so when I find out, I will be able to carry 15gal of fuel and 10gal of fresh water, which would REALLY extend our ability to be deployed.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Do you guys leave your tools up there year round? What about rust?

Are there locking clamps that require a key or combo to open?

What is a good mount to mount jerry cans to the OEM rack? 1.75" is the diameter of the side OEM tubing correct?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts