Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Need your advice.

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  TennesseeSquire 
#1 ·
right now I have a All-pro 3.5 inch original walker Evans lift and Mickey Thompson 33x12.50x17 tires.

I wanted to upgrade to 35's, so I ordered 35x12.50x17 BFG KM2's.

I got a good deal at $1200 for 5 tires. However I have been waiting for them for 2 months now, they have been on backorder the whole time and there seems to be no end in sight. My 33's still have plenty of tread, so I don't NEED new tires, but I WANT them damnit.

With all this time to think about my purchase, I'm wondering if I even purchased the right tires in the first place.

I am replacing Mickey Thompson 35x12.50x17 tires.
I am buying 35x12.50x17 BFG KM2's.

what I need to know is this:
How much of a difference am I gonna see in road manners switching to the KM2's? If its not gonna be that different, I'm considering switching my oder to BFG All-Terrain T/A® KO in a LT315/70R17/D, essentially a 34.5" tire.

Any input is greatly appreciated. If you have used both of these tires, or all 3, PLEASE POST!!!

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I know for sure that the KM2s are gonna be a lot more noisy than the A/Ts, But otherwise you might experience more rubbing with the 35s rather than the 33s and might end up having to do a body chop. IMO the KM2 perform much better off road than the A/Ts, but the A/Ts have a good combo of on and off road performance.

I say to just stick with the KM2s and wait a little bit more.:bigthumb:

#5 · (Edited)
I have already chopped the body mounts and installed the bushwacker flares, so I shouldn't have to worry about rubbing. Actually, the flares are what made me want 35's, they make the 33's look small. The mickey thompson 33's are actually 32's anyways. I'll try to get a pic tonight to post, so you can see for yourself.

#3 ·
Tennessee Squire is the man to talk to! I believe he has ran all 3 of those. Not in those sizes but his came with AT KO's stock, then he went to MTZ's now he is running KM2's.

#6 ·
Nah, I spoke with Terry at All-pro and he said that he has been running 35's for a long time and he doesn't feel a need to re-gear. His is a daily driver too. I know everyone is gonna have their own opinion on the subject, but I know I dont want to pay the $$$ for a regear, nor do I want the headaches of a possible bad installation ( I have heard horror stories ).

#9 ·
Yes, I've had all three tires.

The set of MT MTZ 33x12.50 17's had to be one of the worst set tires that I have ever owned, but you have other people on this board love them. I ran them for 5 months and replaced them with BFG All-Terrain KO's 305x65 17's.
Those have been replaced by the KM2's 305x65 17's, they have performed great in mud and on the trails.

I still have the KO's. I'm waiting on new wheels to mount them on, so I can do the daily/trail swap.

#11 ·
You may want to do more reading on regearing. I've read many more posts about the need to regear then not. I have 34s right now and I know if I go with 35s, I'll definitely regear. Lack of flex, additional stress on suspension, poor gas mileage, and cost of regearing is what's keeping me from getting the bigger tires.
I think that settles it then.

If TennesseeSquire is willing to go to the trouble of swapping 2 sets out, then the road manners of the TAKO must be a LOT better than the KM2.

And Fjamming has got me concerned about gearing, I think 34.5 is my limit.

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO is the winner!

Thanks for all your input guys.:bigthumb:

#12 ·
Don't get me wrong, the KM2's are great tires. I don't have any issues with them on the road, I've put over 5K miles on mine already and I will be sporting them in Moab & at The Summit (this will be another 4-5K miles). I would be doing the swap to save them and help my gas mileage during the week (who am I kidding, I only drive 10 miles a day :lol:).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.