Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FJ Crusiers are valuable vehicles and since I live in Los Angeles, CA, I find 2007 and 2008 FJ Cruisers are not hard to spot for sale.

However, there is one problem-mileage! The damage in the miles encourages me to think twice about buying an FJ Cruiser over 90K miles. The mechanics I have over the years stated a vehicle is done for when it reaches 300K miles, So if that is the case you'll be wasting alot of money on a vehicle you get to use up to 5 years.

Since I am new to learning about these beauties. Please rehash why 2007, 2008, 2010, and 2011 FJ Cruisers are worth purchasing with mileage over 90K?

·
12,882 Posts
Because it's a Toyota and IF it's taken care of properly, it'll last 400K+. FJs from the 60s and 70s are still running around the world, under all sorts of extreme conditions, with their original engines and running gear.

2010+ has a different engine than previous years.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
@Hannibal said it best. If you are in the market, look for one that has good maintenance records. That will be a good indication on whether or not it's been properly maintained. That will help you ease your fear on a higher mileage one...

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
34,741 Posts
@CRAW it has the dual VVTI vs the single in the earlier years. A little less torque and abut more horsepower. The early engithad the oil filter up top and easy to get to whereas the newer one is a cartridge style and down below.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
34,741 Posts
I don't have a problem with high mileage on a Toyota. I've owned four of them so far. I bought my first one brand new and owned it for twenty years and over 485,000 miles with the original engine. I did the maintenance as needed and oil/lube every 3,000 miles. I bought a used one with around 150,000 miles and did the same with it although I did have one repair I had to have done. Drove it for a few years and traded it with over 325,000 miles on it and still running good. Bought a new FJ and drove it for seven and a half years and traded it with over 203,000 miles. Now I have a Tundra that was picked up new and I've had it for 4 1/2+ and over 70,000 miles. The first two had the same maintenance and oil/lube intervals and the last two also have the same only they are now using synthetics and go 5,000 miles.

Also if you do a search there is a high mileage thread with people having over 300,000 and 400,000 miles on their FJs.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Several FJs on this forum are at 400,000+ miles on them and still going. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Impressive mileage from the fj engines. Now so many are exceeding 100k miles. I wonder what parts are know to perish after a certain distance. I'm thinking pumps, hoses etc?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Purchased mine with 161,000 on it without a second thought. Nearly 5000 miles later, still not a second thought. Thing drives like it is brand new. Dead serious. No rattles, squeeks, nothing. Drives, runs, sounds, handles like brand new. Have taken it off road (high speed. moguls, crawling as well as technical) a number of times. Still like brand new. Toyota must have some secret formula when they build their 4x4's.

Mind you, the FJ is based off the Prado (land cruiser), so it is as solid (more solid) than any other vehicle on the road.

Landcruiser based vehicles are designed for a 25 year service life. IN A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY. This fact is from Toyota themselves. I believe it was quoted from their Chief Engineer.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I tend to hesitate buying older cars with low mileage. Low mileage = lots of sitting and/or lots of city driving which is absolute torture to vehicles. Its unfortunate that normal vehicles don't have an engine hour meter to show the true story behind the low mileage. If you're buying a vehicle to enjoy, mileage shouldn't be much of a concern but if you're buying a car as some sort of an investment, then thats something else. My 2002 4Runner has 330,000 miles and I trust it more than my 125,000 mile FJ.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi guys.

I needed some advice. I'm planing on getting a 2010 FJ 6M with > 200K on it.
What are your thoughts?

I was going to get CARCHEX to get me a full report on it. what should I expect?

Thanks
G

·
Premium Member
12,968 Posts
Hi guys.

I needed some advice. I'm planing on getting a 2010 FJ 6M with > 200K on it.
What are your thoughts?

I was going to get CARCHEX to get me a full report on it. what should I expect?

Thanks
G
Take it to reputable mechanic.

Reactions: Supasta

·
Registered
189 Posts
@MR_XG78 Personally, I’d pass on an FJ with high miles or any high mileage vehicle for that matter. It’s not that the FJ isn’t a great vehicle, or isn’t capable of going hundreds of thousands of miles. To be perfectly honest any vehicle can. It’s a matter of the cost of maintaining that vehicle. FJ’s do have a lower cost of ownership, but that cost is typically based on maintenance during the warranty period or the standard time someone would own it. Once you get much above 100k miles you’re outside of that realm. And you start getting into much more “expensive” repairs in “addition” too the average maintenance you’ll still have to do. So you simply have to ask yourself is saving a few thousand dollars on a high mileage vehicle worth paying that same money or more in repairs. Not to mention possibly having a vehicle that’s less reliable on the road. Simply put the answer is no.
On the other hand, doing that extra maintenance on a higher mileage vehicle you already own, may very well be worth it. Especially if it’s one you truly enjoy driving. But that’s the difference, it’s okay to keep and maintain a vehicle you already own for as long as you want. As you’ve already invested into it. But it’s not a good idea to buy a vehicle with high miles on it, then pay expensive repair bills on top of normal maintenance. Especially when you’re talking about an FJ that has such a high pre owed price. Simply put, “the math just doesn’t add up”, and you’ll be throwing away money. I’d recommend targeting an FJ with roughly 10k miles a year or less. That way no mater what year FJ you’re looking at you’re not over 130k. On top of that, use your best judgment and don’t overpay. A fair price for seller and buyer is best. Unfortunately, a lot of sellers shoot for the moon and it’s just not very realistic. Unless they have an extremely clean, very low miles example. And some buyers go way to low, lol.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,710 Posts
@MR_XG78 if you read this and other threads you'll see plenty of people say mileage is not an issue so long as the vehicle has had good maintenance all its life. If your on a tight budget a high mileage FJ might be all that is affordable.

·
Registered
286 Posts
@MR_XG78 if you read this and other threads you'll see plenty of people say mileage is not an issue so long as the vehicle has had good maintenance all its life. If your on a tight budget a high mileage FJ might be all that is affordable.
If your budget is tight, you shouldn't be looking at FJ Cruisers.This is a niche vehicle with ridiculous used pricing and terrible mileage. I'm so tired of people saying "300k and drives like new!" No, it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
... I'm planing on getting a 2010 FJ 6M with > 200K on it.
What are your thoughts?...
A couple of questions:

1- Are you a car guy? Meaning are you going to do your own work (maintenance and repair as needed)?

2- Do you have the financial standing to be happy with a gas guzzler? Or alternatively, will you be driving it so little that fuel cost will not be a concern?

3- Does it come with good maintenance records?

4- Is it white?

If you answered "yes" to all the a above, you're probably going to be ok. If not, give some serious thought to how you're going to turn any "no" into a "yes"

Because:

1- Keeping a high mileage car going will require dedication to maintenance (a bit costly is you're not doing it yourself) and may also involve expensive repairs (less expensive if you're doing them yourself). This may or may not be an issue 🤷‍♂️

2- Depending on your circumstances, you may not care about this. For example, I also own a LEAF. So, the FJ is not driven daily and is just my fun car. MPG be damned! :cool:

3- Without good maintenance records, you're taking on the risk that this thing is on it's last legs and will start costing you a bundle and will be totally unreliable as it starts to fall apart because it was not properly cared for. I say "risk" because maybe it was cared for but just not documented, or maybe it will be one of those legendary bulletproof Toyotas 🤷‍♂️

4- White ones are way better, everybody knows that. I mean, c'mon...

As @mikey said above, get it inspected by someone you trust who's going to go over it with a fine tooth comb so you go into it with eyes wide open.

Hope to see you here posting pictures soon, if not with this truck, then with the right one for you (y)

Dan

·
Registered
521 Posts
@MR_XG78 Personally, I’d pass on an FJ with high miles or any high mileage vehicle for that matter. It’s not that the FJ isn’t a great vehicle, or isn’t capable of going hundreds of thousands of miles. To be perfectly honest any vehicle can. It’s a matter of the cost of maintaining that vehicle. FJ’s do have a lower cost of ownership, but that cost is typically based on maintenance during the warranty period or the standard time someone would own it. Once you get much above 100k miles you’re outside of that realm. And you start getting into much more “expensive” repairs in “addition” too the average maintenance you’ll still have to do. So you simply have to ask yourself is saving a few thousand dollars on a high mileage vehicle worth paying that same money or more in repairs. Not to mention possibly having a vehicle that’s less reliable on the road. Simply put the answer is no.
On the other hand, doing that extra maintenance on a higher mileage vehicle you already own, may very well be worth it. Especially if it’s one you truly enjoy driving. But that’s the difference, it’s okay to keep and maintain a vehicle you already own for as long as you want. As you’ve already invested into it. But it’s not a good idea to buy a vehicle with high miles on it, then pay expensive repair bills on top of normal maintenance. Especially when you’re talking about an FJ that has such a high pre owed price. Simply put, “the math just doesn’t add up”, and you’ll be throwing away money. I’d recommend targeting an FJ with roughly 10k miles a year or less. That way no mater what year FJ you’re looking at you’re not over 130k. On top of that, use your best judgment and don’t overpay. A fair price for seller and buyer is best. Unfortunately, a lot of sellers shoot for the moon and it’s just not very realistic. Unless they have an extremely clean, very low miles example. And some buyers go way to low, lol.
Thank you @Green Alien.
Everything you said makes total sense. I was going to use a used car inspection service and the owner said he has a full record of all the services that the FJ under went. To be honest I was planing to make it a, do it your self maintenance project. But his asking price is a little to steep for my liking so I might pass.

Still will keep looking, I was hoping with all the Bronco hype the price gouging would cool down for a bit.

Thx
G

·
Registered
521 Posts
A couple of questions:

1- Are you a car guy? Meaning are you going to do your own work (maintenance and repair as needed)?

2- Do you have the financial standing to be happy with a gas guzzler? Or alternatively, will you be driving it so little that fuel cost will not be a concern?

3- Does it come with good maintenance records?

4- Is it white?

If you answered "yes" to all the a above, you're probably going to be ok. If not, give some serious thought to how you're going to turn any "no" into a "yes"

Because:

1- Keeping a high mileage car going will require dedication to maintenance (a bit costly is you're not doing it yourself) and may also involve expensive repairs (less expensive if you're doing them yourself). This may or may not be an issue 🤷‍♂️

2- Depending on your circumstances, you may not care about this. For example, I also own a LEAF. So, the FJ is not driven daily and is just my fun car. MPG be damned! :cool:

3- Without good maintenance records, you're taking on the risk that this thing is on it's last legs and will start costing you a bundle and will be totally unreliable as it starts to fall apart because it was not properly cared for. I say "risk" because maybe it was cared for but just not documented, or maybe it will be one of those legendary bulletproof Toyotas 🤷‍♂️

4- White ones are way better, everybody knows that. I mean, c'mon...

As @mikey said above, get it inspected by someone you trust whose going to go over it with a fine tooth comb so you go into it with eyes wide open.

Hope to see you here posting pictures soon, if not with this truck, then with the right one for you (y)

Dan
Thx Dan

My answers are as follows:

1- No, but I’m taking a do it your self mechanics course. So I guess this means I’m sorta committed. I figured I have to start somewhere.

2- I’m fortunate and grateful to say Yes

3- I’ll have to ask the owner to email me the records and go over them with my friendly neighborhood mechanic!

4- Unfortunately with me white or black are a no go, I’m more of an army green or anything other then black or white;)

Cheers
G

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi All,
I got a CARCHEX report and had a few questions:

1-

any though where this oil could be coming from?

2-

The rust looking thing on the corner? I couldn't make it out

3-

What is the divce on in the picture?

Thank you for all your advice
G

1 - 20 of 22 Posts