Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I am acquiring a new boat from my father in law that will come in at about 4000 to 4500lbs. I know the FJ is rated at 5000lbs so I should be fine. I had a few questions as I have never towed anything before. I have searched through the threads and found a few good ideas. I am thinking about doing the A/T cooler install. It is cheap and sounds like a good idea. Also I have noticed that a lot of you guys reccomend putting it in 4 instead D. When starting and stopping should I start through all of the gears? (i have an automatic transmission) or should i just start in D and then once i get to a cruising speed put it in 4? Also, this may be a stupid question but would 4H work well when pulling it out of the water on the ramp?

I am driving it from Las Vegas to the Bay area so it will be a long haul plus I will probably have to go through some mountains. Any advice there?

Lastly, I dont have a tow hitch so i will have to purchase on. I think i will need a weight distributing one. Anyone know of a good brand i can get?

Thanks for your help, any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I don't know about the gears because I have a M/T. As for pulling the boat out, I sometimes use L4 but thats because I don't feel like burning my clutch. I don't think you will NEED 4H but if the ramp is wet or unusually wet/slimy then use 4H. Just make SURE that you turn it off at the top of the ramp. Turning with you center locked with that much weight on asphalt.... could be REAL bad.

P.S. Welcome to the B.O.A.T. world. Break Out Another
Thousand :rofl:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well lets see here where to start. In regards to gear selection when in traffic and hilly/mountainous areas using 4th is a good idea as it will keep your trans from gear hunting and give you better throttle control. on long flat cruises D will be fine.

As for going through the mountains them self, on grades use a lower a gear for descents to save the brakes. Take your time too, get a trailer brake controller installed as well that will help lots, provided the trailer has brakes.

Any quality brand hitch is fine, a 2 inch receiver class 3 is what the FJ comes with stock, Reese and hidden hitch are both good brands. A weight distributing hitch is an addition to the regular hitch and is never a bad idea really.

4H will be fine at the launch, just remember to put it back in 2wd before you get too far.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
make sure you add the trailer weight to your calculations. Also, is it a single or double axle?
The boat is a 22 footer and comes in at 3500, so I added an extra thousand lbs or so to the above calculation. I believe the trailer is a double axel.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Not that I know more than anyone else but I'm that guy who stops and pulls that stranded drivers out of the snow when they get stuck. I always use 4 low if I use a strap to save my clutch and get into the lowest possible gear. A 4500 lb trailer is heavy to tow up hill out of a boat launch.

Another recommendation is to take the boat to a school parking lot on the weekend and practice backing up and steering so you get use to it. It will save you some bad looks and embarrassment at the boat launch:) Good luck expensive hobby but very fun..

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
Be sure to always disconnect the lights when backing in and out of the water, or you will blow your fuses in the FJ. I doubt you will need 4WD on the ramp unless it's covered in algae. Use D for driving on flat, downshift as necessary to keep the RPMs high enough to provide power. Take very wide turns and please drive 55 in the right hand lane! When backing up, use very small turns as the trailer will turn much more than you turned the wheel. Now you are a pro and can tow anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great advice! especially with the advice of practicing in a school lot! didnt think of doing that but it definately will come in handy so i dont make a fool of myself.

Happy boating everyone!

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Does the trailer have brakes?

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
Not sure yet. If it does i would have to run a manual brake switch to the fj correct? not sure how that would work or how expensive that would be
NOPE! Boat trailers absolutely do not need any brake control things inside the truck. All boat trailers with brakes are hydraulic due to the fact that you cannot submerge electronic brakes! No module/switch necessary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts