Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys and girls,
i just bought my 07 last weekend and now i'm thrown on a choice i have to make. it needs new tires. so after reading hundreds of posts i'm still up in the air on what to do. i'm a former 2wd truck owner and my concern was not scraping the frame on driveways not clearing trees and trails. everything is stock on the new fj. i know everything i'd like to do but the all mighty dollar holds me back. i've never been off road but what like to go. there isn't much near me so i'm guessing maybe 6 times a year to start. i'd like to go to a 285/17 but the whole rubbing thing has me torn. for starters i think i'm going to go stock size with a good all around tire and see how much we go on the trails. then over time maybe upgrade over time to a lift,winch and bigger tires. just wanted some ideas on what the experts thought.
thanks for your help in advance and happy holidays

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well, I'm def no expert, but am happy with the Goodyear Silent Armor's in stock size. It'll go into and come out of anything I'm brave enough to try. They're quiet on the road as well.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I can't say enough how happy I am with my Treadwright Guard Dogs. They take me anywhere I want to go, gave me the aggressive mudder look I wanted and all for much, much cheaper than anything else on the market.

In your situation, I would recommend going with the Warden (looks like a BFG AT), or the Sentinel (looks like a Bridgestone Dueler). Both are right around $100 per tire in the stock size.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Stick with Stock Size A/T tires, FJ is a Very Capable Truck Stock and with the price of fuel these days (1.23/LITRE for 87 oct here in Timmins) why loose that extra MPG if your only going to off road a few times!!! Had the BFG A/T And they where great, but I have also heard good things about the Nitto Terra Grappler, and Toyo Open Country A/T!! GoodYear DuraTracs look like they will be too aggressive for your needs!!! When Upgrading, I suggest the First purchase should be Skid Plates, I have full All-Pro Skids and really enjoy them, bolts on and fits like a glove, highly recommend doing business with they Guys At Allproofroad.com

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You will get 50k + with the BFG A/T's load range C in the stock size.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow great responses,thanks for the help. now i can stop pulling my hair out about it. lots of great ideas. thanks again you guys rock

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
You will get 50k + with the BFG A/T's load range C in the stock size.
I agree you cant go wrong with the stock size LT BFG A/T had them on serveral vehicles never had any problems. Great traction and smooth on the road.:rocker:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't say enough how happy I am with my Treadwright Guard Dogs. They take me anywhere I want to go, gave me the aggressive mudder look I wanted and all for much, much cheaper than anything else on the market.

In your situation, I would recommend going with the Warden (looks like a BFG AT), or the Sentinel (looks like a Bridgestone Dueler). Both are right around $100 per tire in the stock size.
these two looked great, thanks alot i owe u. you saved me hundreds on tires and hair transplants

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
What kind of off roading do you do? I tow my jet ski's to the beach so chose a sand tire and really don't do mud because its so time consuming maintenance wise. I went with a 285-55-20 Nitto dune grappler and still get almost 20mpg on the hwy at 73mph.
________
Wiki vaporizer

·
Registered
264 Posts
Beating a dead horse, I know I know. Can someone post some pics of "mud" they have gone through and share info on what tires they were using, or atleast point me to a link? Thanks in advance for everyones willingness to help all of us noobs.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've run the BFG AT KO's on past vehicles and think they are a great tire but I just put the GY Dura Trac's on my FJ and so far they have performed incredibly well on road/off road and in light and deep snow. Plus they look great and fill up the wheel well nicely. I'm running 285/75r16

1 - 12 of 12 Posts