Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
So my agenda tomorrow is to file down a piece of the inside well above the jack.

gator clip it to negative on a DVM

Pig sticker the entire connector that is above the jack on the driver side.

I have saved this page and will make it my home page so when I forget tomorrow firefox will remind me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I hope that you will find, as I have, that these forums are filled with people willing to help out. Just make sure that you let the rest of us know what you find out. I was certain that someone had already checked out what that connector does, but I couldn't find anything on it...

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Be careful with that connector on the driver side wheel well above the jack.
It controls my garage door opener.
You monkey around with it - and I'm gonna have all kinds of trouble...
...my garage door will start going up-and-down and I won't be able to control it.
;)

On a more serious side...
...that is odd that the 2010's don't seem to be pre-wired.
You are the first one that I know of to make that discovery.
Probably a "cost-cutting measure".
Toyota probably saved 3 dollars by eliminating the subwoofer wiring-harness.
But it seems that it would cost money to have to keep track of which FJ's to wire and which ones to not-wire, too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i'm going to ask a question that i think someone should have asked already but hasn't...

do you intend to use the power and ground from that wiring to power an amp and sub?????

if you are trying to grab signal and remote, that's fine. but don't run an amp with the power and ground....that's just bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If the wiring was there I would have used it for the little bazooka amp/sub as seems to work for others. I wouldn't Feel comfortable pulling more then 10 amps through such a small connection as I'm sure it would melt.

I really didnt want to go with such a small sub but as it would have saved a lot in time and money I would have picked it up.

I guess my lack of subwoofer pre-wiring just forces me to drop the extra on a system I will be happier with in the long run.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I guess my lack of subwoofer pre-wiring just forces me to drop the extra on a system I will be happier with in the long run.
this is very true, and all things considered, this is probably the easiest car i have wired for an amp and sub... the grommets through the firewall are huge, and getting the wire to the back is simple as pie

·
Registered
413 Posts
OK, I have a 2007, not a 2010. But, that wiring near the jack looks very much like the wiring to the rear tail lights in the 2007. Maybe it still is in the 2010, plus the rear camera wiring? Just something to keep in mind when you check this out. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Although it sounds like that connector is going to stay out of reach, if you want to try to track down its function, you can start here:

http://brockandbecca.com/files/fj/FJ_Electrical.pdf

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no electrical whiz, but I couldn't locate that connector or its purpose. Still strange no one seems to know what it is there for...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Rear camera - I hadn't thought about that. Was that an option on the 2007s? I have the same connector on mine.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Rear camera - I hadn't thought about that. Was that an option on the 2007s? I have the same connector on mine.
Nope. There was no factory rear camera on the 2007.

Also, bear in mind, that the wiring in 2007 that went to the rear lights were in the channel/plastic hose thing, that routes everything into the rear door. That's why I'm thinking that the wiring to the rear camera (mounted on the rear door/spare tire) would have to be in the same group that runs through the jack compartment.

In the 2007, the plug for the sub-woofer is about 1 foot forward of the 120v ac power outlet in the cargo area, passenger side. Hope that helps you know which panel to look at. It should be below the 'tray' panel that's over the wheel well. My FJ came with a OEM subwoofer, and I took it out and learned about the panels then.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Do you have trailer hitch?
I'm not certain if your question is for me or darrenboe, but my truck only has the tow hitch installed, not the wiring. Still, I thought that the connector for the wiring was under the truck, not inside the jack compartment. But hey, that's an idea. I don't expect that I'll be messing with the connector, but you never know...

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm not certain if your question is for me or darrenboe, but my truck only has the tow hitch installed, not the wiring. Still, I thought that the connector for the wiring was under the truck, not inside the jack compartment. But hey, that's an idea. I don't expect that I'll be messing with the connector, but you never know...
Yep. The OEM trailer hitch wiring runs under the body, not through it anywhere. Or , not anywhere in the back half of truck, not sure about front half. So, that's not the wiring running through the jack area.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just a thought:cheers:
Maybe it's for the power rear window we never got

·
fka sjcfjc
138 Posts
Here is a shot of the same connector in my 2007:

I have a PDF for the FSM with all the connector listings. Can you either get a pic of the connector straight on, or tell me how many pins on each row and what configuration? Also, what color wire to each pin and is the connector male or female?

The 3D drawing of the back of the truck has many connectors, most of which are not labeled (unfortunately). This may take some time...:boohoo:

21 - 40 of 72 Posts