Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Congratulations on the calvary blue! Good job on the fluid film. I'm here with you from upstate also. I just undecorated my fj again with fluid film, and woolwax. I bought a nice spray kit from 'kellsports'. Online. They sell woolwax. Its stickier than fluid film. I love both products. I had it done, then pissed around with it a few times. But I waited a few years between coats. I also washed the underside too much. Then it got rusty. Dont let up on it. I go to war with it.
Enjoy your ride

·
Registered
136 Posts
Oh yeah. I took off both bumpers. Front wasn't too rusted, but o m.g. the back bumper ... I couldn't believe it. I broke a couple clips. Toyota has them. Or ebay. Wire wheel it. Then fluid film it heavy

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Congratulations on the calvary blue! Good job on the fluid film. I'm here with you from upstate also. I just undecorated my fj again with fluid film, and woolwax. I bought a nice spray kit from 'kellsports'. Online. They sell woolwax. Its stickier than fluid film. I love both products. I had it done, then pissed around with it a few times. But I waited a few years between coats. I also washed the underside too much. Then it got rusty. Dont let up on it. I go to war with it.
Enjoy your ride
Oh yeah. I took off both bumpers. Front wasn't too rusted, but o m.g. the back bumper ... I couldn't believe it. I broke a couple clips. Toyota has them. Or ebay. Wire wheel it. Then fluid film it heavy
Thank you...I'm absolutely loving it so far. I do plan on pulling the rear bumper soon. Figure I'll pick up new brackets and hardware before I start so I don't have to reuse the rusted out stuff. Was it hard to remove the rear bumper?

·
Registered
136 Posts
It was a little tricky. Just read as many tutorials as you find here. Get a understanding first. Start with typing in ' removing the rear bumper' you'll find good articles on it with good pictures. You're gonna need a little body clip puller. 5 bucks. Take off the little bolts on the bottom. And remove the round little plugs on top. Easy. Underneath. You need to carefully separate the two wire harnesses in each corner. Those are for the parking sonar, if you have that. Use a light, and take your time, theres a little hinge, kind of if you use a tiny screwdriver they will come apart. This is the hardest part . The clips that hold the wire to the frame needs to be pulled out . Easy to brake. I broke mine. .Start on one side where it wraps around. The black part by the tail light. You should tape the paint with a couple of layers of tape so you dont scratch it up. Have someone hold one end. After you get one clip to pop off. 'Pop'. Keep gently pulling it till one side is off. Then have someone hold it there and pop off the other side the same way. I broke a big clip on this side. But it still works. I bought a new one but never put it on. I just figured if I break something, I can replace what I broke. Read up, have a cold brew, and give it a shot. At the very least you will take care of the rust.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It was a little tricky. Just read as many tutorials as you find here. Get a understanding first. Start with typing in ' removing the rear bumper' you'll find good articles on it with good pictures..... Read up, have a cold brew, and give it a shot. At the very least you will take care of the rust.
Thanks!!!! I'm sure there will be plenty of swear words lol

·
Premium Member
16,615 Posts
Welcome aboard!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts