Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I'm new here. Several days ago I purchased a 2011 FJ Cruiser. It has convenience and upgrade packages, roof rack, running boards, hitch and a few other things.

I have never owned an FJ and my comments below are comparing a 2011 to the 2010 I test drove.

Interior:
1. The front passenger seat does not slide forward (like in a two door coupe) when you lift the backrest handle. The backrest appears to simply fold forward a few more degrees than before.
2. There is no subwoofer on/off button.
3. The rear parking sensors no longer beep every time you put it in reverse (I have an AT).
4. The rear seat headrests fold forward instead of sliding up/down.
5. The stereo is different and has integrated blue-tooth/hands-free built into the steering wheel and speaker system.

Exterior:
1. There is a color-keyed roof-mounted antenna at the rear of the roof.
2. The 17" wheels are those from the 4Runner Trail Edition.

Questions:

1. The floor in front of the rear seat has four snaps attached to the floor. Are these for the rear floor mats? If so, the local Toyota dealer sold me mats that will not attach.
2. Has anyone looked at their roof rack gaskets and noticed that one/more of the gaskets are up a bit. In other words, they do not fit perfectly flush with the top. I'm concerned about water getting in...

I know some will want pics attached, but for some reason I am unable to upload any (the computer just "thinks" about it).

I hope the info contained herein helps someone!!!

·
Premium Member
17,001 Posts
Congrats and welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Yes, we want pics! Figure it out! ;)

Thanks for the info. Of all that I am most intrigued about the antenna :lol:

Sounds like they didn't do much to the front seat in regards to making it easier to get in back. I don't know why they don't do the slide forward thing.

As for your questions, I don't know about the snaps on the floor. That is interesting. Also haven't noticed my RR gaskets. Though I know I am missing a plug that goes in the air dam mounting holes. That's more for me than you...I need to remember to get a replacement! :)

Anyway, welcome and congrats! :cheers:

What color did you get?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Interesting, that is the first I have heard or noticed anything about the roof antenna. I do not have any snaps in my 2010 (that I recall anyway). Did you see them in the 2010 you drove? Maybe there are new mats yet to be released that will fit the snaps.

The roof rack is always tricky. Since it is port or dealer installed there is always some variation in how well it is assembled and installed. Based on the number or people with leaks, I would suggest removing it, double-checking the seals inside the roof gutters and re-affixing the rack yourself so you are comfortable with the way it is mounted.

I have a Bajarack and chose to use StarBrite marine grade silicone sealant (there are plenty of others like 3M, etc) to further protect the seals and also to block the threads where the bolts run into the roof from the rack. There is no way water is getting in mine for now. I plan to remove the rack and re-do everything in about 3 years to be safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello:

I'm new here. Several days ago I purchased a 2011 FJ Cruiser. It has convenience and upgrade packages, roof rack, running boards, hitch and a few other things.

I have never owned an FJ and my comments below are comparing a 2011 to the 2010 I test drove.

Interior:
1. The front passenger seat does not slide forward (like in a two door coupe) when you lift the backrest handle. The backrest appears to simply fold forward a few more degrees than before.
2. There is no subwoofer on/off button.
3. The rear parking sensors no longer beep every time you put it in reverse (I have an AT).
4. The rear seat headrests fold forward instead of sliding up/down.
5. The stereo is different and has integrated blue-tooth/hands-free built into the steering wheel and speaker system.

Exterior:
1. There is a color-keyed roof-mounted antenna at the rear of the roof.
2. The 17" wheels are those from the 4Runner Trail Edition.

Questions:

1. The floor in front of the rear seat has four snaps attached to the floor. Are these for the rear floor mats? If so, the local Toyota dealer sold me mats that will not attach.
2. Has anyone looked at their roof rack gaskets and noticed that one/more of the gaskets are up a bit. In other words, they do not fit perfectly flush with the top. I'm concerned about water getting in...

I know some will want pics attached, but for some reason I am unable to upload any (the computer just "thinks" about it).

I hope the info contained herein helps someone!!!
1.My gaskets are all flat and flush, we just went through the most rain ever here in the L.A. area and a not a leak anywhere.
2. The color keyed antenna is for XM Radio. The pole antenna up front is still for your AM/FM.
3. My dealer told me what the snaps were for but I don't remember, I was too busy looking at others things inside.
4. Nice Christmas Present!

Curt

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello All:

1. Today the dealership removed and reinstalled the roof rack. All gaskets are flush with the top.

2. I found out the snaps on the floor in front of the rear seat are to attach the rear floor mats. Apparently Toyota is making sure the rear mats don't move around. This is new for 2011. I have to wait for updated mats to arrive at the dealership as the pre-2011 mats will not work in the back.

3. I forgot: the rear hitch insert is black. Before it was silver.

4. I'm not the best photographer...

Color is Iceberg.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Welcome ~ congrats on the 2011'!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Re: New 2011 FJ Owner-New picture added with additional information!

Thank you to everyone who responded. It is great to be a member here!

Attached is a new picture taken when I got my 2011 FJ to my house.

Edit: I mentioned in Post #1 that the 17" wheels are those from the 4Runner Trail Edition. Today I saw a Trail Edition 4Runner. The FJ wheels are the same design, but they are charcoal-grey while the Trail Edition wheels are more a silver-grey.

Thanks--I feel better now with that clarification!!

Happy Holidays to all!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
congrats on the new rig and welcome to the gang.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
congrats and welcome:clap::cheers:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Congrats and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! I'm mostly a lurker, lurked a lot before buying my FJ recently and registered so I could post ;) I picked up my 2010 about 2.5 months ago. I couldn't wait for the 2011's. Sorry for all the questions but you're the first owner of a 2011 I've come across.

How would you rate the stereo performance? Is the 2011's better in sound quality or volume? I'm tempting the idea to upgrade my FJammer setup to the 2011 with integrated bluetooth and possibly the newer subwoofer setup. If it all sounds the same, not sure I'll do the swap unless the bluetooth is decision maker. It sucks that I haven't broken in my sound system but I'm considering changing it out already. I prefer the look of stock setups versus aftermarket units.

I noticed there's supposed to be 11 speakers in the 2011's? I didn't see more speaker locations in the press photo's or online interior shots.

Does the ipod hookup control an ipod through the stereo with album/artist info displayed on the headunit?

Do you need to remove the rear seat headrests when you fold down the seats like the 2010 or do the rear seat headrests tuck away when the seats are folded down?

Is there a recess in the rear driver side storage area trim panel in the back above the location where stock jack is located?

I'm sure there's more questions but my brain is not working properly at this hour. Happy driving! I love my FJ.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Vapor:

I'll try to answer to the best of my ability. Please keep in mind that my only exposure to FJs before purchasing mine was a test drive of a 2010. Here are my answers to your questions.

1. I cannot compare the sound quality of the 2010 FJammer versus the 2011 FJammer other than to say that the 2011 doesn't have a subwoofer on/off button and that I have the bass set at "0" and it sounds pretty good. I guess you'd need to listen to a 2011 stereo at the dealer since you have been listening to your 2010 stereo for two months.

2. I believe the speaker "count" includes a tweeter/midrange in each speaker for a total of two per speaker. I have two full range on the dash, two full range in the front doors, two in the headliner in the back (I think those count for one each) and the sub. There are no other speaker grilles. I think this is the same for the 2010s.

3. The iPod connects to the USB below the accessory power plug on the lower dash (next to the two rows of switches). According to the owner's manual, the stereo will display songs/artists, etc. You can scroll thru the songs, etc., using and each is displayed in the stereo readout.

4. The rear seat headrests still need to be removed in order to fold flat the rear seats.

5. There is a recess in the rear panel above the jack storage area. I say "recess" in that the panel comes down flat and then juts out to form the area where the jack is stored. There is no storage, etc., in the area above where the jack is stored.

I don't think you can easily convert a 2010 FJammer to 2011 FJammer. The 2011s have hands-free Bluetooth cell built into the entire system. The right-side steering wheel spoke (at 3:00) has a dial/hang-up cell switch and it is voice-activated. I haven't synced my cell to the FJ yet, but when I push the phone icon on the steering wheel, a computerized voice plays thru the front dash speakers asking me to set up the system. I don't know how involved it would be to make a change from your 2010, but I bet it would be very costly.

I hope this information helps. I haven't driven the FJ more than 50 miles since I purchased it due to the holidays, etc., so my drive-time is very limited.

Take care.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
:wave: Welcome

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I like what you have said.... I have an 08 since new and will be wanting to trade up to a 2012 next fall if Toyota can pull their thumb out and build them on time. Sounds like the 2011s are an after thought and Toyota has cheeped up on a few things.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts