Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2013 FJ Cruiser TT • 1 of 2,500
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to thank the moderators for making this Forum run so smoothly!

2 Questions: I bought my 2013 TT SE On 02/20/20, and I haven’t had to change the oil yet! I just ordered the Fujimoto Valve to make Oil changes a breeze. My truck has 65k on it.

I would like to order quality oil from a reputable source so I can change the oil myself.

Question 1: What’s the best Oil Weight/Brand for living in the desert where it’s almost always hot, and it’s garaged in the winter so I rarely have cold start ups

Question 2: What brand Oil Filter?

Notes
~ I have read numerous threads with no simple answer, so I’m just looking for the simplest answer!

Moderators
~ I hope this is an ok question to post as a new member!

· Registered
7,942 Posts
The 0W-20 recommendation is ONLY in the US, and was to help Toyota achieve the US government-mandated CAFE ratings, not to ensure maximum engine life. In other countries not subject to the CAFE regulations, multiple viscosity options are approved, including 10W-30, 15W-40, and 20W-50, depending on ambient temperature.

I'm in Southern California and run Mobil-1 10W-30 year round in my '14 FJ, changed at 6-7K mile intervals, as indicated by multiple oil analyses showing good TBN margins remaining. Even with occasional nights spent in the mountains at well below freezing temperatures, cold starts have never been a problem.

Regardless of oil viscosity or ambient temperature, It's always a good idea to allow the engine to warm up for a minute before driving off - and then wait for the engine to reach full operating temperature before operating at large throttle openings or high engine speed.

I've run the same Mobil-1 10W-30 in my 2000 4Runner since new, and with 250K miles on the odometer, it still runs flawlessly, burns zero oil, and gets the same fuel economy that it did once it was fully broken in at ~5K miles.

From 2015 GCC model's Owner's Manual - I think the Australian manual is the same:
Text Document Paper Font Paper product

I run the 'standard' Toyota oil filters in both vehicles.

· Admin
6,862 Posts
Welcome from the UK.

I have a 14. I run 5W-30 which is the recommendation in Australia so should be good foe the heat of Vegas. Use a good brand synthetic and swap every 5K. I use K&N filters but OE are good

· MOAB SUPERSTAR
7,280 Posts
Greetings from VT! I use MobilOne synthetic 5w30 and OE filters, change every 3k mi. I just started using 10w40 for July wheeling in Moab. Yeah might be a bit wasteful but FJ has 180k on the odo and just completed a 7k mi cross-country summer extreme wheeling trip (I do similar every year) with a happy engine 😁

· Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :) (belated)

Mobil 1 5w-30 and Mobil 1 Extended life filters. For years changing at 5K intervals. Last one at 6.5K. Oil analysis said I should try 8K. I don't get that much really hot or cold weather.

The 10w-30 is probably the best choice for Las Vegas. Something I'll consider if/when I make a trip to MOAB in the summer. :unsure:

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 0W-20 recommendation is ONLY in the US, and was to help Toyota achieve the US government-mandated CAFE ratings, not to ensure maximum engine life. In other countries not subject to the CAFE regulations, multiple viscosity options are approved, including 10W-30, 15W-40, and 20W-50, depending on ambient temperature.

I'm in Southern California and run Mobil-1 10W-30 year round in my '14 FJ, changed at 6-7K mile intervals, as indicated by multiple oil analyses showing good TBN margins remaining. Even with occasional nights spent in the mountains at well below freezing temperatures, cold starts have never been a problem.

Regardless of oil viscosity or ambient temperature, It's always a good idea to allow the engine to warm up for a minute before driving off - and then wait for the engine to reach full operating temperature before operating at large throttle openings or high engine speed.

I've run the same Mobil-1 10W-30 in my 2000 4Runner since new, and with 250K miles on the odometer, it still runs flawlessly, burns zero oil, and gets the same fuel economy that it did once it was fully broken in at ~5K miles.

From 2015 GCC model's Owner's Manual - I think the Australian manual is the same:
View attachment 1136642

I run the 'standard' Toyota oil filters in both vehicles.
Thanks.
Decided to do Royal Purple 10w-30 synthetic. And I notice a huge difference from the Dealership 0-20.
Put 4000 miles on it immediately and when I finished my trip, the oil still looks great.

But I’m going to change soon because royal purple is know to really clean up the engine so the first change should be a little sooner. I actually got upwards of 22mpg on my trip on one stretch and averaged close to 19mpg for the entire trip from
VEGAS, to SF, to PDX, to SEA, to YELLOWSTONE, and back to Vegas.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greetings from VT! I use MobilOne synthetic 5w30 and OE filters, change every 3k mi. I just started using 10w40 for July wheeling in Moab. Yeah might be a bit wasteful but FJ has 180k on the odo and just completed a 7k mi cross-country summer extreme wheeling trip (I do similar every year) with a happy engine 😁
Now that’s a flex🦾

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.