Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's easy for me to say, because I love mine in Quicksand, but the really fun part of this mod is the ability to color-match to your vehicle. I think matching red or sunfusion with black accent screws would look fantastic in each of your rigs and really give that extra hint of uniqueness to an already cool vehicle. :rocker:

·
Registered
981 Posts
How hard are these to install? I watched the video on the AJT website, and it looks like he has trouble getting the metal piece out of the original knob. Knowing my luck I'll break the thing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
How hard are these to install? I watched the video on the AJT website, and it looks like he has trouble getting the metal piece out of the original knob. Knowing my luck I'll break the thing.
Super easy to install. I used a dental pick and the metal sleeves slid right out. I was surprised, because I expected trouble like in the video. You dont need pliers, just a pointy pick type object. The sleeves are small, so don't remove them in an area where they can go flying into a hole or under something. I was in my kitchen and almost launched one under the stove. Thought it would be way tougher to remove. lol

·
Registered
981 Posts
Super easy to install. I used a dental pick and the metal sleeves slid right out. I was surprised, because I expected trouble like in the video. You dont need pliers, just a pointy pick type object. The sleeves are small, so don't remove them in an area where they can go flying into a hole or under something. I was in my kitchen and almost launched one under the stove. Thought it would be way tougher to remove. lol
Thinking about what I could use as I don't have dental equipment lying around :). Think a bigger paper clip bent w/ some pliers would work?

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I just used a small flat head screw driver . Put pressure on the metal clip and they come right out . Its at most a 10 min job start to finish .

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thinking about what I could use as I don't have dental equipment lying around :). Think a bigger paper clip bent w/ some pliers would work?
Small screwdriver looks like a great option that works. For the paper clip idea, just bend the last 1/8" sideways to make your pic and that will be enough too. The sleeves come out pretty easy.

·
Registered
981 Posts
You guys were right. Super easy to install, and the small flat screwdriver worked great. The existing metal sleeves popped right out.

2012 TT Radient Red interior (lights off / lights on):

(I should have shut the garage lights off on this one - sorry. If you need a better pic let me know)

·
Registered
236 Posts
You guys were right. Super easy to install, and the small flat screwdriver worked great. The existing metal sleeves popped right out.

2012 TT Radient Red interior (lights off / lights on):

(I should have shut the garage lights off on this one - sorry. If you need a better pic let me know)
Looks awesome!

·
Registered
162 Posts
When I installed these, all I could think was “This is how they should have come in the first place”.
I didn’t choose white to match the iceberg trim because I was worried about dirt, but the black/red looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks - I like them a lot too. All three of my family members noticed them too, and they don't always notice things I do to my FJ. Some of the reactions were "Whoa! When did you get those?!" & "Wow! Those are nice!"
That's funny! My GF said the same thing when she got in the FJ after I installed them. I didn't tell her about them beforehand. She got in and said "Whoa!" Then there were a few jokes about big knobs...lol. >:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ordered my knobs Wed.night. They shipped from Mich.on Thur. Were in my mailbox in San Diego by noon Saturday. Can't beat that. Well packaged.

I bought Army Green w black screws for my 2013 Army Green. The knobs are mounted on a black panel and i thought black knobs would get lost. The Army Green knobs I felt go better with the army utilitarian mode/look of the whole vehicle. They look cool . I think I made the right choice ( for the best color FJ they made.):wink

21 - 40 of 45 Posts