Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Just installed an All Pro roof rack which I purchased from them unpainted (which was the last one they had unpainted, they now all come powdercoated black as I understand it). Had it powercoated offwhite to match the roof close as possible. I bought it because I wanted the extra functionality of a full rack. The tie-down system is a great feature, there are 3 adjustable eyes on each side that slide on tracks. I also like the lines of the rack and how the side panels followed the contours of the roof.

I like it! goes great with the white theme! very nice, cant wait to see it in person!

·
Registered
547 Posts
the rack looks awesome!! how do you like it overall? Ive been kickin it back n forth about getting one, I love the look but I wasnt sure about overall performance and real world useage

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Looks very nice,great work

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
the rack looks awesome!! how do you like it overall? Ive been kickin it back n forth about getting one, I love the look but I wasnt sure about overall performance and real world useage
I just got back from a 9 day trip to Yellowstone/Tetons and the rack worked great. The adjustable tie-down points are a great feature, lets you easily move things around to conform to the load. No noise on the highway even at 75 mph. I was also able to stand on the rack as a base for a tripod to get higher viewpoints for photography. I have not found any problems with it yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Saw an FJ in Vail today that looked like yours was it?
Looked good with the white rack....

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
wow, looks good.
Thank you. Also a little update. I spent a day wheeling with the Continental Divide Expedition a couple weeks ago when they were traveling through Colorado. We were up in the Webster Pass area and going up Radical Hill, which is fairly rough and rocky, when the adjustable tiedown rings that came with the roof rack snapped (I was using all 6, 2 per strap), one ring on each strap snapped. While the ring itself is metal, the bottom part that holds the ring in place in the tracks is made of plastic. These all snapped off. I spoke with Terry at All-Pro who very quickly sent me new all-metal ones, which he said should have come with the rack in the first place. I commend his quick response in correcting the problem. The new ones even came powdercoated white! I mention this more as an FYI if someone else gets a rack and the tie downs come plastic - do not use them offroad they are not safe in my opinion. They worked fine on a trip I made to Yellowstone (2000 mile roundtrip) on all paved or smooth gravel roads, but the rough roads quickly destroyed them.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Yikes, that's no good. Glad the guys at All Pro took care of you. :D

That was a great day on the mountains, thanks again for giving us the grand tour!
I'm glad you guys were flexible, I had a great time hanging out with y'all that day too. Can't wait to see some of your photos.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I think it looks nice, I am wondering how its going to hold up to luggage (aka stuff) marks. Powercoating should be pretty durable, let us know how it holds up.

edit: So are you going to put lights with white casing?

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I think it looks nice, I am wondering how its going to hold up to luggage (aka stuff) marks. Powercoating should be pretty durable, let us know how it holds up.

edit: So are you going to put lights with white casing?
So far it has held up well, it is powdercoating after all. I think some people think that white will be harder to clean, when in reality it has the same surface properties as black powdercoat, so it will clean just the same, as has been my experience with my white wheel rims for over a year and 50,000+ miles now. I'll post back up after a few more trips though to document any wear and tear.

I don't plan on putting lights on as of now. I don't do a lot of night driving and haven't had any issues when I have.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts