Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have the upgrade package 2, so should have 8 speakers plus woofer. I have one in each front door, two in the dash, and two in the rear pillars, but that is only 6, where are the other 2?

I plan on replacing the front door speakers with Alpine SPR-69C Type-R speakers and the front dash speakers with SPS-400 Type-S speakers. I am thinking I will get the MRP-F250 amp and bridge it to send 100W to each of the 6x9s. I plan to run the 4" on the factory system. Will this work out, or do I risk making the 6x9s too powerful (not overloading them, just causing them to be overpowering)?

·
Banned
338 Posts
First off, I have the upgrade package 2, so should have 8 speakers plus woofer. I have one in each front door, two in the dash, and two in the rear pillars, but that is only 6, where are the other 2?

I plan on replacing the front door speakers with Alpine SPR-69C Type-R speakers and the front dash speakers with SPS-400 Type-S speakers. I am thinking I will get the MRP-F250 amp and bridge it to send 100W to each of the 6x9s. I plan to run the 4" on the factory system. Will this work out, or do I risk making the 6x9s too powerful (not overloading them, just causing them to be overpowering)?
Other two are the useless miniature speakers hidden inside your headliner. Throw them all out and upgrade. If you are JUST now buying your vehicle...don't get that upgrade package. Not worth it.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Other two are the useless miniature speakers hidden inside your headliner. Throw them all out and upgrade. If you are JUST now buying your vehicle...don't get that upgrade package. Not worth it.
Already bought it. If I take the two 6x9s off the stock system, I assume I will get more watts to the remaining 6 speakers? Or will this not be the case?

Also, what does it take to add an amp with the factory head unit? Any special adapters required?

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
it is the case, but not worth it..upgrade..id remove the rear pillar speakers, you want to have vocals in the front..the headliner speakers, dont have them, so all i can go by is what others say...as far i know, its not the best place for imaging..if i had them, id loose them..but...the 6x9's, good, but you can replace them with better. that will handle more power..the dash, i replaced mine with boston acquistics. better sound..

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
that is correct..one above driver, and the other pass...put your ear against head liner, about mid seat level..you should be able to hear it

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yep the XNT or NXT speakers are little cones inside , well on top of the headliner and they use the headliner as a speaker cone. They are a "filler" only, and the purpose of them is to keep your ears from being able to tell exactly where the sound is coming from for the entire system. Sort of like headphones do. You know the sound is in your ears, but unless a sound is switching from right to left , the music just sounds like it is "in your head". Put your fader to the rear and turn your ear toward the roof and you will clearly hear them.

as far as upgrades go, the 6x9s should be fine getting a 100 watts per speaker. running the four inchers off the deck will be okay, I ran mine off my old kenwood deck for over a year with my 6x9s running on amp power. sounded pretty good. As far as running all of this off the factory deck, it can be done, but its a pain. LOC s are needed and alot of extra wiring work.

If you wanna disconnect the roof speakers, there is a plug in the drivers side kick panel, has a red, yellow, white, and black wires ( 4 wires, 4 different colors) going in one side, and like purple and green or something on the other side. That is the harness that runs up the A- pillar to the headliner. Just un plug it and that will do to shut them down...

·
Banned
338 Posts
What are LOCs?
Line output converters. Converts RCAS into speaker wire. You will lose sound quality with these, but they are required if you are going to use your factory radio. I highly recommend saving up and buying a higher-end headunit before you upgrade speakers. The headunit makes a tremondous difference, and you might be so satisfied that you won't even have to upgrade. My stock speakers sounded at least 2x better once I added the Avic-D3.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I think that's the other way around. LOCs take speaker level outputs and converts it into RCA outputs.

Of topic. FEAR I still owe you a picture of my ground setup. I'll try to get that to you as soon as I have a free momment.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help everyone.

Are the factory speakers and woofer run off an amp(s), or are they all simply powered by the head unit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts