Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After months of design and customer input, Aluminess Products, Inc. is proud to introduce a new, all aluminum rear bumper and aluminum roof rack for the FJ Cruiser. We want to thank FJ cruiser members for their support over the past year! The hope the new products will enhance the performance and utility of the FJ Cruiser.

The benefits of this aluminum bumper are that it combines strength, light weight, and utility. The bumper weighs 70 pounds and will not rust. It comes with a durable powder-coated finish.

Here are the specifics: The rear bumper has two swing arms designed to carry a spare tire and utility box. Options vary based on tire size...32" tires will allow for an open box to carry 3 five-gallon jerry cans. You can also upgrade to a sealed locker measuring 18" W x 24" H x 16" D in place of the utility box. Larger tires will reduce the size of the utility box to carry fewer jerry cans. The swing arms are removable. The bumper can also be purchased without swing arms.

The Rear Bumper with tire swing arms and open utility box is $1,895. The bumper without swing arms is $745.

We will post a separate thread and pictures for the new aluminum FJ Roof Rack...

Please visit out FJ Cruiser Page on our website FJ Cruisers - Aluminess Products, Inc
and contact us if your have any questions!

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
A great looking and functional rear bumper that must be seen in person to really appreciate the quality of workmanship,

This is an awesome company with a super friendly crew.

By all means, an incredible FJ Cruiser. (Ok, I might be a little bias on that last one)

I was honored to be selected to test the first trial bumper and as you can tell was more than satisfied with the product. This will be a future investment of mine when the day comes. I do believe in supporting not only a great product, but also an even better company with good people. Anyone who has their front bumper can pledge to this.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
After going through some serious testing with the Aluminess front bumper on the FJC and being very impressed I am even more amazed by these products on our 10500lb Sportsmobile.

I have walked my 1 legged self all over the top of the Aluminum roof rack with no flex at all and the rear bumper with it's dual swingouts works like a charm.

The way I figure it is that any company that is used to building light wieght yet functional parts for something that is twice as heave as a FJC ought to know what they are doing.

Oh and I agree completely regarding the customer service. Dave at Aluminess has been great to work with.

I am looking forward to hearing some long term reports on these bumpers as I think they will suprise a lot of people with the quality and the wieght savings.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I'm sure the workmanship is great but that thing is really utilitarian in appearance. Someone needs to "streamline" the design a bit so it doesn't look quite so "clunky". Just my $.02. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I'm sure the workmanship is great but that thing is really utilitarian in appearance. Someone needs to "streamline" the design a bit so it doesn't look quite so "clunky". Just my $.02. :bigthumb:
Yeah... i have to agree. This is not meant to bash your product. Because it looks like it is good quality. Just some constructive criticism. But, visually the bumper is very awkward looking to me as well.

I like how you tried to replace the plastic side panels with an aluminum panel. I think? Pictures could be better quality. But, I think that is also one of your problems. It doesn't look like it matchs the FJ at all. In one of the pictures, it makes the bumper look like it is falling off the back because the lines do not match up.

I do not like the way the rear swingouts mount at all. The hinges look very flimsy... and the fins they attach to are really strange IMO. They would've been much better if they mounted right to the bumper base and panels.

The gap under the FJ's rear door and your bumper looks totally unfinished. You need to at the very minimum fix that.

I know you spent a long time on it... but, I think you just need a little more refinement before you have yourselves a winner. Take another look at your front bumper... if it had the same detail it would be awesome!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the 'no swing out option' still include the rear quarter panel covers?

Do you have any photos of the non swing out bumper mounted?

Thanks
The no swing out option does include the rear quarter panel covers. We do not have any photos of the no swing out bumper yet. Our customers often send us photos once the bumper is mounted on their vehicle. We'll post them as we get them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah... i have to agree. This is not meant to bash your product. Because it looks like it is good quality. Just some constructive criticism. But, visually the bumper is very awkward looking to me as well.

I like how you tried to replace the plastic side panels with an aluminum panel. I think? Pictures could be better quality. But, I think that is also one of your problems. It doesn't look like it matchs the FJ at all. In one of the pictures, it makes the bumper look like it is falling off the back because the lines do not match up.

I do not like the way the rear swingouts mount at all. The hinges look very flimsy... and the fins they attach to are really strange IMO. They would've been much better if they mounted right to the bumper base and panels.

The gap under the FJ's rear door and your bumper looks totally unfinished. You need to at the very minimum fix that.

I know you spent a long time on it... but, I think you just need a little more refinement before you have yourselves a winner. Take another look at your front bumper... if it had the same detail it would be awesome!
Thanks for the input. We are refining some things. The gap under the rear door has a trim piece that did not get put on. I respect your keen eye as the bumper was not mounted correctly for the photos so the seams under the tail lights are not even. There are stainless steel support straps which reinforce the bumper for the swing arms. We have also reduced the height of the blades so they are below the tail lights. There is also a door in the bumper for a future storage box that will fit under the rear of the vehicle. More to come on this in the future. We have had great success with our front FJ bumper ..... we appreciate the input so we can match the success with our rear bumper.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
I love your front bumpers, and the other bumpers you make for tacomas and Sportsmobiles (thats all i have currently seen)
For some reason this one i don't think looks as good. I can't put my finger on it either. I really like the Tacoma rear bumpers lines though.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Thanks for the input. We are refining some things. The gap under the rear door has a trim piece that did not get put on. I respect your keen eye as the bumper was not mounted correctly for the photos so the seams under the tail lights are not even. There are stainless steel support straps which reinforce the bumper for the swing arms. We have also reduced the height of the blades so they are below the tail lights. There is also a door in the bumper for a future storage box that will fit under the rear of the vehicle. More to come on this in the future. We have had great success with our front FJ bumper ..... we appreciate the input so we can match the success with our rear bumper.
Thanks for not taking offense to my suggestions. I really meant none. Please post pics of the new enhancements asap. And keep up the good work.

:cheers:

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you need input, I like your light and strong and different idea.
I dislike it does not work around the faactory hitch or include a reciever hitch. ( similar to warn design)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts