Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Interesting......

Well, I hope there are some details about this truck prior to the FJ's launch. If special edition means:
"Look for things like shocks, tires, wheels, and off-road performance features,"
I may hold off purchasing until the SE comes out. If it means all of that plus manual only I'll feel like a schmuck for waiting.

(please do not turn this into another manual vs. auto thread, I was only stating what I want to buy)

·
Banned
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'll get one without the the special edition, just don't make me cry toyota and put 4:1 gears in the tcase in the special edition....

Tires/wheels/shocks are all easily replacable... its that tcase that I am worried about.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I KNEW IT!!! The last part in the article from edmunds said, Quote; "183 (FJs) will be exported to the middle east".

"North America Only"...... No way dudes. This rig is a modern day version of the "MOST TRAVELED" vehicle in the WORLD !!!

I said it once in an earlier post, that this rig would be sold all over the world, not just North America.

I THINK IT WOULD BE DOWN RIGHT COOL TO SEE ONE ON THE NEWS, IN THE MIDDLE EAST, (WHITE) WITH A (UN) ON THE DOOR, CRUISING IN A TUFF ENVIRONMENT, I KNOW THERE MADE FOR.

I'm a FREAK, I'll get off my soap box................ toyota fan!!!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
air said:
noooooooooooooo ----- why mid-summer?!?!? oooohhhhhhhhh nooooooo. more waiting? nooo, please have the special edition at launch!
hey man, at least it wont be a secret until summer. there'll be plenty of the launch vehicles roaming around and probably some to drive at the dealership.....every day at lunch.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
The good news, is that by mid-summer not only are they touting the special edition but at SEMA they said the supercharger for the 4.0 ltre should be ready.

What's better than a special edition?

A supercharged special edition!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Isn't Toyota stupid for leaking this? If true, many will wait and not buy right out of the chute, especially for the off-roadies, which most of us fit into. I assume that if other options are on the horizon, that will make me want to hold off an otherwise early purchase.

Be well,

Chaz

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well, there is that...

But, a lot of us aren't only going to offroad this rig. So I won't mind really if a lot of offroad only types wait for the special edition. That just means that there might be a couple more for us to choose from in the beginning as far as selection at the dealership.

Either way, I can't wait to go to a dealership and drive it. Whether it's the special edition or the base model, I'm pretty sure I will be smiling either way.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Send pictures. That would rock. You could have your base model beater for taking to the hills and abusing it properly. A maxed out, modded out, heavily optioned one for cruising with the boys.... or simply a different color for each day of the week. Then the convertible model for the beach! Sounds like a plan - now where did I put that extra $200K?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One wonders if this site had any influence on the designers rethinking the color choices.

Seriously though: no green? No tan? Instead... silver? Eggplant? It just seems... aesthetically insane.

Cheers,
prat

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
They are rumoring red and tan now Prat....

We're getting closer to what you want... Maybe we need a couple more threads devoted to ORANGE and green.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Percy said:
They are rumoring red and tan now Prat....

We're getting closer to what you want... Maybe we need a couple more threads devoted to ORANGE and green.
How about a thread devoted to the Brown SEMA color being available at launch?!

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
praetorian said:
One wonders if this site had any influence on the designers rethinking the color choices.

Seriously though: no green? No tan? Instead... silver? Eggplant? It just seems... aesthetically insane.

Cheers,
prat

yeah....FJ designers, if you are reading this.....note that most of the people you're targeting aren't happy w/ the color choices. The "earthy" tones that someone photoshopped on this site, as well as the SEMA green, and maybe an off white, are more along the lines of what most of us are looking for I think. A more basic red (on the darker side) would probably be good, and I think the blue and yellow were good choices too because of the retro factor. My two cents :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bostonian1976 said:
yeah....FJ designers, if you are reading this.....note that most of the people you're targeting aren't happy w/ the color choices. The "earthy" tones that someone photoshopped on this site, as well as the SEMA green, and maybe an off white, are more along the lines of what most of us are looking for I think. A more basic red (on the darker side) would probably be good, and I think the blue and yellow were good choices too because of the retro factor. My two cents :)
It seems clear that there was a bit of a disconnect between the market and toyota. They were looking more towards a youth based scion-like market. Thing is, most kids love the old FJ's and the old colors as much as anyone else.

I'm wondering if this forum (and the forum over at ih8mud) contributed to this rethinking on toyotas part. Any toyota employee lurkers willing to delurk and give us a hint?

It is interesting to consider how the internet has changed the information dynamic between companies and consumers. Smart companies (and toyota gives every indication of being a smart company) will learn to be more responsive, open and involved with their consumers. This is especially true for big ticket items.

Cheers,
prat

·
Registered
32 Posts
chtucker said:
I'll get one without the the special edition, just don't make me cry toyota and put 4:1 gears in the tcase in the special edition....

Tires/wheels/shocks are all easily replacable... its that tcase that I am worried about.

Right one! The t-case is the most important factor for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts