Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '08 Cruiser and want to get the stereo system to a much better level. I want to stay somewhat cost effective while still getting some good clean sound. So far I've swapped the headunit to a Pioneer P3300BT and I have a Alpine PDX-5 that used to be in my Jeep sitting in the closet.
Originally I planned on a 6.5" component set in the front and 6.5" 2 way in the back, but it seems that while this is not a horrible way to go, it's also not the best. I'm not sure I wanna go to a front 3 way component as I don't really wanna delve into the mounting complexities(and cost) associated with it. So, my thoughts were maybe a really good set of 3.5" coaxials (ECX87 HERTZ) in the dash, 6x9 midbass drivers in the doors (CL-69-CDT), a sub to replace the factory one (JL 10W1V2-4) in a enclosure from tacotunes. I don't know if I should get another set of the HERTZ 3.5s for the stock locations or put some 6.5s by the rear seats.
Anyways, thi shas turned into a long winded question, but I'm wondering if I'm on the right path and will the amp I have do well for this setup? Should I be amping the 3.5s or just running them off the HU? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Re: New system help

Not a fan of the 6.5's in the by the rear seats...think it's too loud for rear passengers while not giving a lot of rear fill...that's why I made fiberglass pods and put 6.5's in the rear d-pillar.

As to the 3.5's, if I were running them I'd run them off the dash and everything else off the PDX. I think this would allow you to use the gains to 'perfect' the other 4 speakers while using the 3.5's for minor upper front-fill without their high's overpowering your lower stage. Of course some people don't want any rear fill at all, just a strong front stage in which case you could run the 6x9 and 3.5's off the amp.

So many choices....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah, I'm kinda at a loss with which way to go. I'm after really clean, rich sounding music and listen to a rather broad spectrum of stuff and want it all to sound good and enveloping. I suppose trying the 3.5 and 6x9 mid bass is the cheapest route so if it works out poorly I can go another way without too much loss.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Yeah, I'm kinda at a loss with which way to go. I'm after really clean, rich sounding music and listen to a rather broad spectrum of stuff and want it all to sound good and enveloping. I suppose trying the 3.5 and 6x9 mid bass is the cheapest route so if it works out poorly I can go another way without too much loss.
You will not find me recommedning 6-1/2" 2 way separates in the front very often, but in this case I would go that route, unless you want to engineer crossovers and attenuation circuits for something like a quasi-three way like I did in http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/122575-2011-audio-mod.html and I would be happy to consult if you want to do a quasi three way in the front, using the speakers of your choice. Otherwise, I would go with pre-engineered 2 way separate 6-1/2's in the front, but only if you are using a sub.

If you do go with 2 way separate 6-1/2's in the front, I would use IDENTICAL 2 way 6-1/2" separates in the rear seat sides. If you have rear passengers, fade to front for their comfort.

If you engineer a 3-1/2" quasi three way system in the front, I would use IDENTICAL 3-1/2" speakers in the rear pillars (my approach).

Identical speakers front and rear are critical I believe. Be consistent. Same brand, same model, same damping material behind them.

Heavily mod the sub and run it off the fifth channel of the amp.

Lemme know if you want/need any other advice. Feel free to PM me. I can help you engineer anything you want without any profit motive because I don't sell anything.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts

I would NOT use the in-dash unit to power anything, but it does require clean power just the same. I would run 8 AWG power and ground to the in-dash even if you are not using it as an amp.

Also, I cannot recommend highly enough braided interconnects and braided speaker wires (NOT braided shielding). Refer to Kimber Cable for more info, and I will answer any questions.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info FJ Florida. I think in the end I may just go ahead and get the speaker pods from Wicked CAS and use the JL Audio C5-653 3-way components. I found a pretty good deal on them. I'm hoping this way i'll definitely be happy with the sound quality. I know this is not the setup you run, but do you have any thoughts on this setup? Thanks

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks for all the info FJ Florida. I think in the end I may just go ahead and get the speaker pods from Wicked CAS and use the JL Audio C5-653 3-way components. I found a pretty good deal on them. I'm hoping this way i'll definitely be happy with the sound quality. I know this is not the setup you run, but do you have any thoughts on this setup? Thanks
I think that would be an awesome setup for the front if you are willing to plunk down the cash and don't mind the relatively complex install and the look of the A pillars.

You are going to need damping material in the A pillars behind those 4" mids.

-FJ Florida-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts