Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I finally finished up the new system install after waiting for the custom amp and sub boxes from subthump.com. I think it looks great and the sound is very good. I do need to brace the rear seat speakers since they vibrate in that large cavity. I couldn't have done it without this forum! Thank you.

Here's my list of products used.

Kenwood DNX7100HD
Kenwood KCA-IP202 iPod Cable
Polk DB 6.5" Components (front doors and dash)
Polk DB 6.5" Coax (rear seat)
Polk DB 4" Coax (rear pillars)
MTX Audio 10" subwoofer
Alpine PDX 4 channel
Alpine PDX 5 channel
Metra Axxess Steering Wheel control module
Metra 70-8114 Steering Wheel Control Harness (factory AUX works with new head unit)
Scosche head unit install kit
Stinger power and audio cables
Monster speaker cables
Monster distribution block
Monster battery terminals
Subthump amp and subwoofer box
WickedCAS speaker pods

Attachments

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
A few questions (well, maybe a lot):
How are the amps set up? I only count 6 speakers plus the woofer, but you have 8 channels of power.
Which PDX amps are those?
How much did the sub box and amp box cost?
How's the sound imaging? I'd think the 6.5" plus 4" rear speakers would be way too much rear sound.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the late reply.

I have the fronts on the 4 channel amp and the rear 4" + sub on the 5 channel amp. This was the best way to get the sub 300 watts RMS using these small amps and I have room for future expansion. I have a total of 9 speakers... 2 tweeters in the dash, 2 front doors, 2 back seats, 2 rear pillars + sub. Sub box was $139 and the custom amp box was $120. The imaging is great. I use the Kenwood head unit's built-in DSP and dialed it into what I like. The rears only provide some fill. The fronts and back seat provide the bulk of the imaging.

A few questions (well, maybe a lot):
How are the amps set up? I only count 6 speakers plus the woofer, but you have 8 channels of power.
Which PDX amps are those?
How much did the sub box and amp box cost?
How's the sound imaging? I'd think the 6.5" plus 4" rear speakers would be way too much rear sound.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

I have the fronts on the 4 channel amp and the rear 4" + sub on the 5 channel amp. This was the best way to get the sub 300 watts RMS using these small amps and I have room for future expansion. I have a total of 9 speakers... 2 tweeters in the dash, 2 front doors, 2 back seats, 2 rear pillars + sub. Sub box was $139 and the custom amp box was $120. The imaging is great. I use the Kenwood head unit's built-in DSP and dialed it into what I like. The rears only provide some fill. The fronts and back seat provide the bulk of the imaging.
So are you running the front components (door + tweeter) and the rear door speakers off one amp as the "fronts"? Just a bit confused, since I would consider the rear door speakers to be rear channels, along with the 4" pillar speakers. But since you said you have room for "future expansion" I'm assuming there must be 2 channels on the 5-channel amp that are currently unused? Sorry if I'm just being thick, but I'm having trouble following what's powered by what.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

So are you running the front components (door + tweeter) and the rear door speakers off one amp, and putting the "front" sound to all of them? Or do the rear seat speakers get the "rear" sound channels? Just a bit confused, since I would think the rear door speakers would be rear channels, along with the 4" pillar speakers. But since you said you have room for "future expansion" I'm assuming there must be 2 channels on the 5-channel amp that are currently unused? Sorry if I'm just being thick, but I'm having trouble following what's powered by what.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So are you running the front components (door + tweeter) and the rear door speakers off one amp, and putting the "front" sound to all of them? Or do the rear seat speakers get the "rear" sound channels? Just a bit confused, since I would think the rear door speakers would be rear channels, along with the 4" pillar speakers. But since you said you have room for "future expansion" I'm assuming there must be 2 channels on the 5-channel amp that are currently unused? Sorry if I'm just being thick, but I'm having trouble following what's powered by what.
The front and rear seat speakers on the 4 channel amp (front sound) and the rear pillar + sub on the 5 channel (rear sound). The 5 channel has an extra set of inputs for future expansion.

The amp box is from subthumb.com

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The front and rear seat speakers on the 4 channel amp (front sound) and the rear pillar + sub on the 5 channel (rear sound). The 5 channel has an extra set of inputs for future expansion.

The amp box is from subthumb.com

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Ok, finally got it, thanks for explaining it slow to me :lol:

Looks like you got the MTX sub they recommend, how do you like it? Looks to be discontinued but their new FPR Subwoofers seem to be an exact replacement (same mounting depth).

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Our systems are very alike. Especially the AMPs and rack.....mine looks almost identical to yours as I have a PDX-5 and PDX4.100 as well. I have 4" focals in the dash.....8" focals in the doors, 6.5" focals in the recess behind the suicide doors, 4" focals in the rear, and a 12" JL Audio Stealthbox.

I'll try and get some pics soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts