Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has been kind of pissy every morning starting up it doesn’t want to turn over some mornings so finally I got a brand new battery from Napa put it in and now it starts up and then quickly dies and idle so not sure what to do or what the heck is wrong not quite the mechanic I’m learning but this is out of my pay grade help please

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
1st give us your vehicle make, model, year milage. 2nd is your check engine light on? If so we need the codes. You can go to AutoZone or some parts places and they will pull the codes for you. 3rd, sounds like you may have had a bad battery and the starting problem might be fixed, but if it starts and it's still dying, do a visual examination under the hood. Check your inlet ducts for tears or misalignment. The misalignment part is a problem for me because I have the TRD cold air intake and the duct will sometimes come off causing your engine to idle rough and die.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is a fj cruiser 2007 v6 fuel injected automatic 4 wheel drive 160,000 miles on it
I had some trouble getting it started, I could get it to turn over but it would struggle to start and then today after work it wouldn’t start, popped the hood cleaned the terminals then tried to start all it did was click then nothing, the battery is completely dead put it on a charger, but wouldn’t hold a charge, granted it’s the stock battery I picked up a new one and installed it, she started right up and had a weird sputter in the idle, I drove it a couple miles, and then it would sputter when I wasn’t accelerating, stopped at a stop sign and it died. I love my truck I notice when the slightest thing is off, I’ll take it to get codes read but any ideas help

Attachments

·
Admin
6,891 Posts
Sounds like 2 separate issues.... charging/battery.... and the other engine issues.

Regular maintenance has been kept up? Filters/plugs/etc... ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes the only thing that I haven’t maintained it obviously is the battery but I never had any issues it’s a stock battery but it was completely dead so I bought a new one now my truck barely idles and then dies

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I left it overnight started it up this morning and followed the instructions for a idle relearn and it held an idle, didn’t die and found at Sweet Spot and settled and has been running pretty good since so I think that was the fix, still going to get my codes run and see what they say but hopefully this did the trick so thank y’all!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bet your alternator is gone. it is time to replace that one, normally it will last 150000 miles, I just replaced mine.

·
Premium Member
11,809 Posts
Sounds like your alternator is gone, it can no longer provide enough power to run the FJ so you are running off the battery.

Your battery is there to provide the initial harrumph to start the FJ and power accessories when the engine is off. The alternator will provide power to recharge what your battery lost and provide power to meet the demands of engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts