Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have been browsing the site now for about two weeks, and I am finally convinced of what I want my new toy to be. I have recently found a new silver FJ with all the options 4wd, armrests, blah blah blah. I am picking it up on thursday unless someone decides to stray me away. I have read a lot on here that pretty much persuaded me to buy one so I doubt you guys would stray me away but worth a shot. what else should I be aware of? I am currently on my second fullsize chevy pickup and I am getting a lot of complaints from people saying that I am not going to like the downsize or I am going to miss the bed. Is there anyone who went from a fullsize truck to FJ on here? How was the transition? I do work but have work pickups that will be used. The FJ is going to be a toy to have fun in and not used for any hauling and what not. I do go to school fulltime also in Chico so I will be busy. I plan on doing all the fun things to it. Lift, tires, winch, on board air, etc. but any last minute info. would be greatly appreciated! Awesome site and thanks for making it available to me. Sorry for the long post, but I am about to drop some dough into a new hobby and wanna make sure it's gonna be it!!!! Thanks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Oh yes......you will love it.
We were fence sitters and full fledged addicts now. We actually argue over who gets to drive it sometimes......good thing he drinks beer a lot and I don't drink often.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are asking $25,000 for the 4wd model automatic and it's got the painted items inside the temp gauge and what not. Im just debating the size issue, it is gonna be awkward. Do you guys have a problem with the blindspots? Thanks for the responses can't wait to drop all the money into it that I got for my fullsize!!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Hey guys I have been browsing the site now for about two weeks, and I am finally convinced of what I want my new toy to be. I have recently found a new silver FJ with all the options 4wd, armrests, blah blah blah. I am picking it up on thursday unless someone decides to stray me away. I have read a lot on here that pretty much persuaded me to buy one so I doubt you guys would stray me away but worth a shot. what else should I be aware of? I am currently on my second fullsize chevy pickup and I am getting a lot of complaints from people saying that I am not going to like the downsize or I am going to miss the bed. Is there anyone who went from a fullsize truck to FJ on here? How was the transition? I do work but have work pickups that will be used. The FJ is going to be a toy to have fun in and not used for any hauling and what not. I do go to school fulltime also in Chico so I will be busy. I plan on doing all the fun things to it. Lift, tires, winch, on board air, etc. but any last minute info. would be greatly appreciated! Awesome site and thanks for making it available to me. Sorry for the long post, but I am about to drop some dough into a new hobby and wanna make sure it's gonna be it!!!! Thanks.
So really, non of your questions apply :). You'll like it. It's a fun toy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fjamming- I know but im young and it's a lot of money (to me) and I want to make sure it's going to be a good deal. I feel it's going to blast and can't wait to get into this off-road community.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I was worried about the so called blind spots at first. There is a thread on aligning your mirrors here somewhere that is helpful.

I always give an extra glance or two when lane changing. The drivers side seems a bit more difficult for me, but today when I was backing up I realized how it doesn't feel so difficult or so foreign to me anymore now that I have had some practice.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!:wave:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
530fj, one thing to consider is the cost of mods and maintenance. If you trust that you're a responsible person and can exercise self control, this is a fun car to own. Often it's easy to get sucked in to modding for the sake of modding and keeping up with others. When that happens, it gets expensive really fast and you'll be stressed out. The FJ is very reliable and capable in stock form. I've wheeled it pretty hard in stock form and never gotten stuck. Since it's likely that you'll want to take the vehicle off road, you should budget for extra maintenance. Learning to do some of the work yourself will save you a lot of money. The regular service intervals will no longer apply as the vehicle is now used harder. Be prepared. If you can swing it, it's a fun car!

·
Registered
851 Posts
We actually argue over who gets to drive it sometimes......good thing he drinks beer a lot and I don't drink often.
:rofl::rofl:

530fj, you simply neeeeed to get this FJ. You just do.:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jenward- you have me convinced!!!!

I have done work on a previous rig which is a pre-runner. My buddy who owns the rig has recently moved to washington and I feel it is now my time to start dumping the dough into something. I have all the tools welder, chop, grinder, drill press. If need arises. Im more thinking right now of just picking it up on thursday. But, I am looking into the future. Mods will be insane with prices and what not, but you can't put a price on a fun hobby that you can enjoy in the outdoors. Thanks for all the input and advice, greatly appreciated.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Welcome :wave:

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Welcome aboard! Go get it! You'll love it.

Get a pair of spot mirrors. I put mine on the upper outside corners. Bought the 3" size from Pep Boys for five bucks for a pair...

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I went from a 2004 Tacoma Double Cab to my FJ last October. It did have a short bed, but I figured that I would be having the back seats down most of the time anyway. I use it as a work vehicle and I seem to have enough room for my gear. One of the best things about my FJ is that it is comfy on longer road drives. Give it a shot, I think that you'll be stoked. Welcome!!
Jen

·
Premium Member
17,152 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
you will like it as an offroad toy it is awesome! if you need it haul a bunch of stuff around better of getting a truck with a bed if your concerned about gas mileage buy a car if you want to run over rocks and mud puddles and climb stuff and smile a lot than get a FJ!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
these things couldn't be any worse than my 08' duramax 4wd getting 13mpg. I hope!!! or my 2002 Chevy 4wd that gets like 16. Im mostly looking to use this for my last year in college and then make it a toy with a new D.D.
Oh well we'll see all in all I am stoked on the things I can do to it. Now just finding time, that's a different story. Looking forward to seeing any of ya'll in the Northern California area sometime soon.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts