Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
:bandit:I have the Toyota Full rack that is now DOA that came with my FJ. I just stare at it in disbelief and wonder what the hell I'm suppose to do with it. It's useless. My Pops chevy Blazer had the Cage that was probably 12 inches tall and covered the whole lid of the truck and it was super useful for trips to Baja. But the one I got is very depressing. Just replacing it is a major deal it seems. My druthers would be the ARB. Thanks for your efforts with this, Much appreciated!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is great information! However, does this mean that the Eezi-Awn or stock FJ racks are the only option if I want to use Thule or Yakima Kayak accessories? Will the Gobi or Warrior work as well?

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is great information! However, does this mean that the Eezi-Awn or stock FJ racks are the only option if I want to use Thule or Yakima Kayak accessories? Will the Gobi or Warrior work as well?

Just reread the post and you already answers my Gobi question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
does anyone have pictures of where the Prinsu attaches to the roof? It looks as if it just sits on the spacers? Does it have anything to fill in under it?
I like the Prinsu design but there are no mounting instructions online?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
does anyone have pictures of where the Prinsu attaches to the roof? It looks as if it just sits on the spacers? Does it have anything to fill in under it?
I like the Prinsu design but there are no mounting instructions online?
pages 5 and 6 have some links and photos that give you an idea how the Prinsu mounts to the roof. He uses 3/4" height alum spacers that go over the bolt holes.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/551650-prinsu-designs-roofrac-fj-5.html

In addition, I can tell you that I reviewed the 4Runner install instructions. Pretty much the same concept. Looks like TRYAGAIN is going to purchase and use some wider spacers that provide a larger footing than the spacers that Prinsu provides. See some of the discussion on page 6 and the links to the alternative spacers. I made my own out of UHMW HDPE. FJ_test made his own as well.

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/e5eb7b_386228d4a6f4404f925303d69512b026.pdf

Lastly, there is a Frontrunner Group Buy over at the Tacoma World forum for all their racks. See my post 160 on page 16 of the link below. I already checked with Ramon Ortiz and he said FJ folks can join in on the FrontRunner Group Buy since it includes all Frontrunner rack models (not just Tacomas). Just join the TW forum and chime in on the GB thread if that is a direction you want to go. Frontrunner racks look damn nice and have tons of accessories. They are pricier than Prinsu, but with 15% discount and free shipping, they become very competitively priced for an all aluminum rack.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/171961-front-runner-roof-racks-any-good-16.html

I don't see Prinsu having a group buy soon for his racks. In addition, we cant hop on the Tacoma World group buy train unless you can get a min of 20 FJ racks (not gonna happen as you experienced). I happened to luck out and get Zack to let me order my rack as part of the Tacoma group buy last Spring but he learned that if he didnt get a min of 20 racks of a particular model, he wasnt able to get enough discount from the laser cutting and powdercoating vendors.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That picture is what I was looking for and I must have gone right over it- thanks! I am weighing my choices right now- I like the Prinsu appearance but don't like the mounting, and the opposite with the Frontrunner.
I was able to get us a GB at 5 FJ's but couldn't get responses. Not sure if that GB would still stand as I understand the racks do or will belong to another company now?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
That picture is what I was looking for and I must have gone right over it- thanks! I am weighing my choices right now- I like the Prinsu appearance but don't like the mounting, and the opposite with the Frontrunner.
I was able to get us a GB at 5 FJ's but couldn't get responses. Not sure if that GB would still stand as I understand the racks do or will belong to another company now?
Yeah I am hearing that over at TW that maybe somebody bought Prinsu. I havent seen anything official yet from Zack - but maybe i missed that.

I think the solution that TRYAGAIN is pursuing could work just fine...an aluminum spacer with 8MM (about 3/8") inside diameter and a 3/4" to 7/8" diameter outside and 3/4" height. Just use a silicone or permatex form a gasket when you put it down. Really the only thing that concerns me is to ensure that water cant travel down the bolt and into your headliner area. Also need to make sure that water from the outside cant get under spacer and into bolt hole. If you take care of both those issues I think you are fine.

Only thing I dont love about Frontrunner rack is that I have seen them with an air deflector. The accessories are awesome.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Trying to decide between the front runner, warrior, and Baja expedition style. Planning to throw a rooftop tent on it and lights on both the front and back. What would be best for my criteria? Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Only thing I dont love about Frontrunner rack is that I have seen them with an air deflector. The accessories are awesome.
That and it looks much higher and shorter in the back-I see you can order a frontrunner longer also but not on the group buy.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
That and it looks much higher and shorter in the back-I see you can order a frontrunner longer also but not on the group buy.
sorry meant to say that I havent really seen them with an air deflector in the front (which the Prinsu has). I hear you can buy one, but dont see anything like that (not that I have spent much time looking).

It is my impression that the Frontrunner rack looks to be the same height in the back as the Prinsu (their design objective is to make a perfectly flat rack for a curved vehicle - you are going to see that effect). For the front it appears that the Frontrunner doesnt go as far forward as the Prinsu where it comes right up to the leading edge of the roof. I can see a potential benefit from this in that the FR probably offers less wind resistance and likely less wind noise. When you put something up by the air that is being disrupted and lifted up over the windshield i think it makes more noise and offers more drag (like an airplane wing). I am no aerodynamics engineer so this is all just speculation on my part.

Someone mentioned in the front runner thread about it holding more weight than the Prinsu and I can see that as well due to the design. Every design has its tradeoffs. You can pick your poison. Definitely not trying to talk you into one rack or the other. Just offering up my limited perspective. And trying to make sure that if any FJ forums members are interested they can get in on the TW GB. No other skin in the game for me.

Not surprised that Custom Racks are not included in the GB. Hard to make money on one off designs let alone at larger discounts.

I will make a prediction - within a week of the TW Frontrunner Group Buy being closed someone will post a lament saying "if only I knew about it" and expressing their frustration they missed it.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
100 Posts
sorry meant to say that I havent really seen them with an air deflector in the front (which the Prinsu has). I hear you can buy one, but dont see anything like that (not that I have spent much time looking).

It is my impression that the Frontrunner rack looks to be the same height in the back as the Prinsu (their design objective is to make a perfectly flat rack for a curved vehicle - you are going to see that effect). For the front it appears that the Frontrunner doesnt go as far forward as the Prinsu where it comes right up to the leading edge of the roof. I can see a potential benefit from this in that the FR probably offers less wind resistance and likely less wind noise. When you put something up by the air that is being disrupted and lifted up over the windshield i think it makes more noise and offers more drag (like an airplane wing). I am no aerodynamics engineer so this is all just speculation on my part.

Someone mentioned in the front runner thread about it holding more weight than the Prinsu and I can see that as well due to the design. Every design has its tradeoffs. You can pick your poison. Definitely not trying to talk you into one rack or the other. Just offering up my limited perspective. And trying to make sure that if any FJ forums members are interested they can get in on the TW GB. No other skin in the game for me.

Not surprised that Custom Racks are not included in the GB. Hard to make money on one off designs let alone at larger discounts.

I will make a prediction - within a week of the TW Frontrunner Group Buy being closed someone will post a lament saying "if only I knew about it" and expressing their frustration they missed it.

Good luck with your decision.
Just got in on that group buy! Thank you for posting that. It was perfect timing for me looking to buy one

Just a quick note to others interested: Tacoma world asks that whoever goes over there to get in on the group buy creates a legit account including an Avatar for their account so it doesn't fill their forums with blank accounts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
@951hunter and @mezcalfud I know the group buy is a still couple weeks off and then wait time for production and delivery, but let us know on the Frontrunner thread (rather than this one) how it goes and your impressions once you have them installed.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I did see confirmation over at Tacoma World that CBI Offroad bought out Prinsu. Sounds like they will keep the brand name and Zach Scott will work for them doing design work.

All orders after 6/16/17 will be fulfilled By CBI Offroad, all prior orders by Zach.

Post #7451 in the thread (yes there is a huge amount of activity in the TW forum).
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/prinsu-design-studio-roof-racks-bs-thread.317754/page-373#post-15427763

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for compiling this info! This by far the most helpful resource for roof racks I have found.

My major takeaway from this post and from looking for roof racks for over a year- is the extremely poor quality of manufacturers' pictures of their products. Never mind the lack of product specs - but one would think that at the very least the marketing pictures would be good. Almost all of them have cool looking shots, but only one or two of them and they are 1,000 feet away and usually loaded down with stuff and you can't see the rack. Or the rack is empty but the background of the pic (trees etc) interfere with seeing the rack. Or it's just the rack alone and you can't see what it looks like on the FJ. Or no closeups of how it attaches to the FJ, etc. Come on. Pics are almost free. If you want me to spend over $1k, please give me 10 or so pics, detailed, so I can see what I am getting. It's almost as puzzling as the complete uselessness of the OEM rack itself.

That being said, I'd like a flat rack that would be good for a kayak, canoe, or paddle board. It needs to be level so the paddle board is flat to the ground (not angled up or down w OEM or baskets). Air deflectors with built in LEDs would be cool in the front and back. Side rails so I don't have to look up under a spindly rack from the side. That's it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can someone recommend a good rack for a James Baroud XXL? I am looking for a rack that I can transport the tent, an awning, and perhaps a road shower and a hi-lift on. Probably need something that can hold about 700lbs static. Thanks!

·
11,284 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank you!! I am looking at getting a roof rack, leaning toward Baja Rack, but more options to look at now.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Can someone recommend a good rack for a James Baroud XXL? I am looking for a rack that I can transport the tent, an awning, and perhaps a road shower and a hi-lift on. Probably need something that can hold about 700lbs static. Thanks!
Well basically any of the flat racks that are rated for that weight and have extra room on the sides to mount stuff will be great I'm sure. Just look at what others have done that is similar to you want to do and if you like it then replicate it or at least loosely follow their mod-path. :bigthumb:

Why do those in No. America place the touring basket/double rail portion up front and those on other continents tend to place it towards the rear? Not all have RTT's for tent opening orientation. :thinkerg:

Baja Rack: racks_list_inside

ARB Steel Touring Style Roof Rack Basket 49 X 87 Inch (3800200)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hannibal+roof+racks&qpvt=hannibal+roof+racks&FORM=IGRE
Good point! :lol: Who knows?!

21 - 40 of 78 Posts