Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wanted to share my experience with the Rhino Rack (Pioneer platform) with Autohome Maggiolina installed on top.

First of the installation of the rack was very problematic: the rails are designed in. a way that covers the mounting bolt to the roof.
It seems like the Rhino guys never went thru a real installation.
Once the platform is installed, there is no way to access those bolts and check them periodically.

Second is the location of the cross bars: it's fixed and there is no easy way to adjust anything.
In order to have the Maggiolina installed, we had to create another crossbar, made the installation very painful (and only possible because I had a sunroof on my FJ)

Installing a fairing also turned out to be problematic, as well as adding brackets for an awning.
I don't quite understand a platform design with longitudinal planks rather than cross bars.

At the time I was looking at the Baja rack, but has huge lead times for delivery, so ended up getting the Rhino.
At this point I'm not really happy with it and will be switching the Rhino rack for a Warrior rack, which seems to be much better designed. Just thought I'd share my experience and help others make their decision.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wanted to share my experience with the Rhino Rack (Pioneer platform) with Autohome Maggiolina installed on top.

First of the installation of the rack was very problematic: the rails are designed in. a way that covers the mounting bolt to the roof.
It seems like the Rhino guys never went thru a real installation.
Once the platform is installed, there is no way to access those bolts and check them periodically.

Second is the location of the cross bars: it's fixed and there is no easy way to adjust anything.
In order to have the Maggiolina installed, we had to create another crossbar, made the installation very painful (and only possible because I had a sunroof on my FJ)

Installing a fairing also turned out to be problematic, as well as adding brackets for an awning.
I don't quite understand a platform design with longitudinal planks rather than cross bars.

At the time I was looking at the Baja rack, but has huge lead times for delivery, so ended up getting the Rhino.
At this point I'm not really happy with it and will be switching the Rhino rack for a Warrior rack, which seems to be much better designed. Just thought I'd share my experience and help others make their decision.

Good to know, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's a new one. Yakima LockNLoad Platform E 84x49" w/ Rhino-Rack Backbone RFJB1. I had to modify the front and rear Yakima mounting blocks by cutting them 3". The install went better than I expected given the cross-brand fit.

I prefer the Yakima over the Rhino-Rack Pioneer platform for several reasons. Support slats run east/west vs north south, making it easier to attach ski racks and roof top tents. The Yakima is slightly taller and has better proportions (imo) and appears to be a higher quality kit. The Rhino-Rack requires drilling to fit an FJ while the Yakima does not.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
61 - 68 of 68 Posts