Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wanted to share my experience with the Rhino Rack (Pioneer platform) with Autohome Maggiolina installed on top.

First of the installation of the rack was very problematic: the rails are designed in. a way that covers the mounting bolt to the roof.
It seems like the Rhino guys never went thru a real installation.
Once the platform is installed, there is no way to access those bolts and check them periodically.

Second is the location of the cross bars: it's fixed and there is no easy way to adjust anything.
In order to have the Maggiolina installed, we had to create another crossbar, made the installation very painful (and only possible because I had a sunroof on my FJ)

Installing a fairing also turned out to be problematic, as well as adding brackets for an awning.
I don't quite understand a platform design with longitudinal planks rather than cross bars.

At the time I was looking at the Baja rack, but has huge lead times for delivery, so ended up getting the Rhino.
At this point I'm not really happy with it and will be switching the Rhino rack for a Warrior rack, which seems to be much better designed. Just thought I'd share my experience and help others make their decision.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wanted to share my experience with the Rhino Rack (Pioneer platform) with Autohome Maggiolina installed on top.

First of the installation of the rack was very problematic: the rails are designed in. a way that covers the mounting bolt to the roof.
It seems like the Rhino guys never went thru a real installation.
Once the platform is installed, there is no way to access those bolts and check them periodically.

Second is the location of the cross bars: it's fixed and there is no easy way to adjust anything.
In order to have the Maggiolina installed, we had to create another crossbar, made the installation very painful (and only possible because I had a sunroof on my FJ)

Installing a fairing also turned out to be problematic, as well as adding brackets for an awning.
I don't quite understand a platform design with longitudinal planks rather than cross bars.

At the time I was looking at the Baja rack, but has huge lead times for delivery, so ended up getting the Rhino.
At this point I'm not really happy with it and will be switching the Rhino rack for a Warrior rack, which seems to be much better designed. Just thought I'd share my experience and help others make their decision.

Good to know, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here's a new one. Yakima LockNLoad Platform E 84x49" w/ Rhino-Rack Backbone RFJB1. I had to modify the front and rear Yakima mounting blocks by cutting them 3". The install went better than I expected given the cross-brand fit.

I prefer the Yakima over the Rhino-Rack Pioneer platform for several reasons. Support slats run east/west vs north south, making it easier to attach ski racks and roof top tents. The Yakima is slightly taller and has better proportions (imo) and appears to be a higher quality kit. The Rhino-Rack requires drilling to fit an FJ while the Yakima does not.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'll do more digging on my own but figured I'd reach out for first hand experiences - narrowed down to Prinsu or Warrior.

Sole purpose will be hardshell RTT.

I'll look in to wait times and manufacturer/ dealer location but anyone have a RTT mounted to either and have feedback? (love to hear about your tent experiences as well)

Thanks in advance from FJ paradise - Western CO ???

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I'll do more digging on my own but figured I'd reach out for first hand experiences - narrowed down to Prinsu or Warrior.

I'll look in to wait times and manufacturer/ dealer location but anyone have a RTT mounted to either and have feedback? (love to hear about your tent experiences as well)

While I don't have experience with either, I do like Prinsu more. Not only from a visual point of view to I like the look of Prinsu better, but they also sell specific brackets meant to work with their roof rack cross bars for mounting roof top tents which would be a big plus for you. I don't believe Warrior sells RTT mounting brackets so you'd have to come up with something yourself if yo went that route. I'm, not very versed in RTT equipment or mounting but that is just one of the things that I noticed when putting this comparison together.

·
Registered
42 Posts
While I don't have experience with either, I do like Prinsu more. Not only from a visual point of view to I like the look of Prinsu better, but they also sell specific brackets meant to work with their roof rack cross bars for mounting roof top tents which would be a big plus for you. I don't believe Warrior sells RTT mounting brackets so you'd have to come up with something yourself if yo went that route. I'm, not very versed in RTT equipment or mounting but that is just one of the things that I noticed when putting this comparison together.

Well crap, I had it narrowed down to the Warrior rack yesterday ha ha. I'll slow my roll a bit and wait to hear back from Prinsu. Thanks for your thoughts FJX2000.

I emailed Prinsu for wait times since they aren't listed (Warrior in stock, free shipping) and to see if they have any distributors in or near Western CO. We'll see if they get back to me in a timely manner, that may be the deciding factor.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, what model of RTT are you going for?
I'm looking for solutions for a GFC RTT, something to keep it as close to the roof as possible. It seems like GFC had a direct mount for the FJ but they're not producing them anymore.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what model of RTT are you going for?
I'm looking for solutions for a GFC RTT, something to keep it as close to the roof as possible. It seems like GFC had a direct mount for the FJ but they're not producing them anymore.
Darn that GFC is expensive! They all are I guess. It is awesome looking though.

I was hoping to grab a Tepui hardshell on 20% discount @ REI but Covid put a damper on that. I have a feeling they might do another "post-Covid" 20% off sale though, just a hunch.

Otherwise I'm not sure. I'm hoping to get a rack on and take it from there.

No word back from Prinsu RE: availability and distributors, might be ordering the Warrior rack this week.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Darn that GFC is expensive! They all are I guess. It is awesome looking though.

I was hoping to grab a Tepui hardshell on 20% discount @ REI but Covid put a damper on that. I have a feeling they might do another "post-Covid" 20% off sale though, just a hunch.

Otherwise I'm not sure. I'm hoping to get a rack on and take it from there.

No word back from Prinsu RE: availability and distributors, might be ordering the Warrior rack this week.
Thanks.
Yeah, the Tepui hard shell is a close second on my short list.
I'm still willing to pay more because of GFC's height (when closed) and its mounting options around the shell (like lights, for example). I'm just trying to find a low rack or some other mounting solution for it.

I know this thread is not about RTTs - so I'll stop it here.

Best of luck with your search!

·
11,284 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I talked to them in June to go to Colorado so my car would be the prototype but that trip didn’t work. Now I see which FJ took my spot. Finally overland did it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Thanks for the link!
Added it to the comparison!!

61 - 78 of 78 Posts