Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or purchased the new Cooper S/T Maxx? It is supposed to have an improved tread compound. It has a block type tread and is capable of being studded. I'll work on putting a picture up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I may purchase these. I'm looking for a good tire that's a mix between AT and MT. I don't offroad enough to justify a full on MT tire.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Looks like a good mt/arty hybrid. Other hybrids worth considering may be the Nitto Trail Grappler and goodyear MT/R

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I kinda like the Cooper STT. The Cooper ST tread pattern just looks like a cheap tire. Then I was looking at this ST Maxx and I fell asleep from boredom. My first thought was it looks like the Nitto Terra Grappler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Humm, I have to see these in person because judging from the photo I still think the regular ST looks more aggressive.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just ordered a set of these, 4 are sitting in my house, 1 is on it's way today. I'll post up pics once I get them installed on my FJ this weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cooper also has a new AT tire coming out called the AT3. They have a good looking tread design too them and backed with a 55k mile treadlife warranty.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post here. I have had my Cooper ST Maxx (265/70/17 on stock rims) for a few weeks now and mostly had them on road until today. On road I'd say for a realatively aggressive AT they are pretty quiet, my girlfriend didn't even notice the difference from stock although I did. They are not uncomfortably loud and hold dry bitumen pretty well, haven't had a chance on wet bitumen yet. Today I had them off road for the first time, pretty sharp rocks and mixed rock/dirt terrain and I'd say they did very well. Coped with everything I threw at them (which given my relative inexperience was probably not too much) only aired down to around 30psi from the standard 37psi, all worked well.

I'd say they are a good tyre although admittedly my experience is somewhat limited I thought you guys might be interested.

Here's a pic of one of the tyres close up with my workshop manager keeping tabs on me!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post here. I have had my Cooper ST Maxx (265/70/17 on stock rims) for a few weeks now and mostly had them on road until today. On road I'd say for a realatively aggressive AT they are pretty quiet, my girlfriend didn't even notice the difference from stock although I did. They are not uncomfortably loud and hold dry bitumen pretty well, haven't had a chance on wet bitumen yet. Today I had them off road for the first time, pretty sharp rocks and mixed rock/dirt terrain and I'd say they did very well. Coped with everything I threw at them (which given my relative inexperience was probably not too much) only aired down to around 30psi from the standard 37psi, all worked well.

I'd say they are a good tyre although admittedly my experience is somewhat limited I thought you guys might be interested.

Here's a pic of one of the tyres close up with my workshop manager keeping tabs on me!

those things look pretty aggressive! your dog looks intimidated. haha

anyone else have these tires???

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just a quick update on these. Had them on a variety of terrain now over the past 3-4 weeks including course gravel roads, well maintained gravel roads, thick (sludgy) mud, wet and dry highway bitumen.

Have to say they have performed well to my mind. They did get very clogged in the thick mud but leaving that section cleared themselves quickly on the next bit of dry gravel.

The can feel a little uncertain on wet bitumen particularly when cornering but not to a degree that I would say felt unsafe.

Overall so far I am very happy with them (have around 4,000km on them now).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts