Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am adding Yakima crossbars to my FJ stock roofrack. Following in the footsteps of this thread: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-bars-mount-solution-box-also-good-kayak.html

I plan to move a rooftop tent and a Kayak. So I am trying to decide how long I should purchase my crossbars. Since I will be placing the rooftop tent up there I figure the kayak should actually sit outside the width of the factory roofrack so as to not impede the tent.

Currently my shopping cart looks like:
Yakima Universal SnapArounds (set of 4) - 8810135 Spare Part / Replacement Part x2

2011 Yakima BowDown Kayak Rack - Universal Yakima Kayak Carriers for Factory Racks etc. - 8004042 x1

And a set of cross bars which can come in 48", 58", 66", and 78"

Should I go all the way out to 78" which should leave me 15" on each side of the roof rack, or is that ridiculous? Any advice is appreciated, just please explain your reasoning so I can learn here.

Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are long, but they allow me to move two kayaks along with my rooftop tent (one on either side).

Overall I'm happy with the choice, I would be less happy if the brush I drove through was thicker, but so far everything i'm driving through just snaps or whips around, no thick branches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts