1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon family,
So I ordered these cup holders off of Etsy
Toyota FJ Cup Holder Insert | Etsy

they a printed from a 3D printer and they fit SNUG. I had them put custom words in mine, I think it was a $10 up charge but worth every cent.
So much better than the OEM ones, I actually threw out one of the rubber ones on accident , stuck to bottom of the bottle I believe. These almost snap in and don't pullout without some serious effort. With this being said has anyone ever put some accent lighting under the center console so that the cup holders light up? I don't want a ton of light but inside the cab its so dark, I go to work when its dark out and drive home when its dark so just trying to add a little accent lighting without it being distracting.
Thank you

Attachments

Reactions: BIOHZRD

·
Registered
123 Posts
I put a red LED in my map light (I had an 07, so I custom installed a map light out of a Corolla or something) and was able to use that for some mild area lighting that could not be seen from outside the vehicle and was very dim, but enough to do minor things in the can which required minimal light

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a red LED in my map light (I had an 07, so I custom installed a map light out of a Corolla or something) and was able to use that for some mild area lighting that could not be seen from outside the vehicle and was very dim, but enough to do minor things in the can which required minimal light
I like that idea as well. I was actually hoping someone had experience with putting lighting under the cup holders and had some sort of holes or something cut out so that u could have a lit up cup holder. I have seen something similar in luxury vehicles...mine is far from luxury but I still like the idea

·
Premium Member
2014 FJ Cruiser
60 Posts
I bought a couple of 6mm LED bolts from oznium.com and put them in the center console just underneath climate controls. I've seen a couple of write-ups about this. A popular option is to tap into the illumination pos and neg wires from an unused switch circuit.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a couple of 6mm LED bolts from oznium.com and put them in the center console just underneath climate controls. I've seen a couple of write-ups about this. A popular option is to tap into the illumination pos and neg wires from an unused switch circuit.
Is this what you used?
I think that this is exactly what im looking for, does it sit pretty flush?

·
Premium Member
2014 FJ Cruiser
60 Posts
Is this what you used?
I think that this is exactly what im looking for, does it sit pretty flush?
Yep, that's exactly what I used. From where mine sit you can't even see them when you're sitting in the vehicle. I can't find the thread that got me thinking about it, but I put it in the console trim right above the switch bezel. It's angled down so the lights shine on the rest of the console and are concealed by the bottom edge of the stereo/climate bezel. It's generally pretty flush, but I will say that they come with two little rings to tighten them down from the back side. They're both pretty thin but I would strongly recommend using them both to lock it down.

·
12,720 Posts
Looks like he has done a ton of work. Are you linking that because he's done what im trying to do? Or are you suggesting I reach out to them?
Thank you
Both. He's even put lights behind the exterior door handles, under the mirrors Puddle style, etc. He's a good man and has helped me and MANY members here.

Have fun!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both. He's even put lights behind the exterior door handles, under the mirrors Puddle style, etc. He's a good man and has helped me and MANY members here.

Have fun!
Awesome! Thank you much, man nit u got me thinking if more places to put these lol

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, that's exactly what I used. From where mine sit you can't even see them when you're sitting in the vehicle. I can't find the thread that got me thinking about it, but I put it in the console trim right above the switch bezel. It's angled down so the lights shine on the rest of the console and are concealed by the bottom edge of the stereo/climate bezel. It's generally pretty flush, but I will say that they come with two little rings to tighten them down from the back side. They're both pretty thin but I would strongly recommend using them both to lock it down.
This is exactly what i want to do, any way u could take a couple photos please? Also what color did you go with? Do u like that color or do y wish it was different? Sorry for all the questions but since it's only one color to a light I want to do it right the first time .
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2014 FJ Cruiser
60 Posts
This is exactly what i want to do, any way u could take a couple photos please? Also what color did you go with? Do u like that color or do y wish it was different? Sorry for all the questions but since it's only one color to a light I want to do it right the first time .
Thank you!
I went with amber so they're somewhat close in color to the dash lights. I wanted something that wasn't going to be too harsh on the eyes for long term use. I'll upload the photos I have on hand. I could have sworn I had some of the footwell and door pockets, but you can also look at my Automod List build that has photos and part numbers. I've since added lights in the footwells (upper, forward corner of the kick plates), front door pockets, rear door pockets. I also have them connected to a separate dimmer switch located just to the left of the switch bezel.
console.jpg rear doors.jpg

·
Premium Member
2014 FJ Cruiser
60 Posts
Man I'm going crazy. I've been looking for the post I used with instructions on doing this way back when and can't find it. I DID however find this one. Take a look at post #24 and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man that looks great! Do u remember What size and style u went with? And thats the soft white or amber?

·
Premium Member
2014 FJ Cruiser
60 Posts
Man that looks great! Do u remember What size and style u went with? And thats the soft white or amber?
That’s all amber. The foot wells are the largest bolts (16mm??) but all the rest are the 6mm LED bolts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts