Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently got a new Borla dual exhaust for the FJ. While the twin pipes look great and I love the sound, I THINK it feels like I lost some power. Is this possible? I am getting the same mileage & miles per gallon. I also got a new Mini Cooper S that is quick, so I kinda think driving it may be why the FJ feels sluggish. So two changes at about the same time. I would love a Magnuson MP90 Supercharger System, but cannot afford it this year. But, if I did want more power from the FJ, what would my next move be?
Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
2011 FJ Cruiser Iceberg
248 Posts
I would suggest work on getting an increase pedal response

Pedal Commander on Amazon is an option

I got it and immediately put it on sport + and was amazed how quick the throttle responded. Felt like more power (which was not the case) because there was no lag in the throttle. I ended up dialing back the setting to just sport as I was doing burn outs ever time my back tires were in the gravel.

Also....it has an eco setting that gives you fair amount more control of the throttle for the trails. On my last adventure it was getting a lot of jerkyness when trying to navigate trees and rocks. This solved that and smoothed things out.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You probably did lose some low end grunt with the exhaust but gained back up top. Pedal commander money is better spent on an ECM tune/tuner. With those you get the pedal commander type functionality plus re-tuning the transmission behavior which is a really nice improvement. Regarding adding horsepower, you're not going to gain much from simple bolt-on stuff. The SC is a nice option but I think most people would be pretty happy just re-gearing which is 1/3 the cost of the SC.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would suggest work on getting an increase pedal response

Pedal Commander on Amazon is an option

I got it and immediately put it on sport + and was amazed how quick the throttle responded. Felt like more power (which was not the case) because there was no lag in the throttle. I ended up dialing back the setting to just sport as I was doing burn outs ever time my back tires were in the gravel.

Also....it has an eco setting that gives you fair amount more control of the throttle for the trails. On my last adventure it was getting a lot of jerkyness when trying to navigate trees and rocks. This solved that and smoothed things out.
I have seen them but will look more into it. I also see a lot of people removing them? How long have you had yours installed?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You probably did lose some low end grunt with the exhaust but gained back up top. Pedal commander money is better spent on an ECM tune/tuner. With those you get the pedal commander type functionality plus re-tuning the transmission behavior which is a really nice improvement. Regarding adding horsepower, you're not going to gain much from simple bolt-on stuff. The SC is a nice option but I think most people would be pretty happy just re-gearing which is 1/3 the cost of the SC.
Thanks so much. I knew about re-gearing but didn’t want to do that yet. Getting tuned is probably what I need to do.

·
Registered
2011 FJ Cruiser Iceberg
248 Posts
I have seen them but will look more into it. I also see a lot of people removing them? How long have you had yours installed?
Going on 2 weeks, and very happy. I like that I have the capability to adjust the throttle response as needed. A tune will allow you to do this with multiple maps (done this before with a Subaru), however, this device has a very specific purpose and can be done on the fly without having to change mappings to tune.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I would get a littering ticket if I wheeled with them cuties. They would be picking them up for a few miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts