Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
If I ever learn how to post pictures I will post mine.

I used tool boxes as drawers as I need to carry batteries to tower sites in mine. It allows me to sort things better and carry what I need to the site all at one time. Not trip after trip back to get other tools.

I have less than 100.00 bucks in mine and no more than two hours. Plus the portability of 3 individual tool boxes.

Call me cheap, but practical.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought a set to reduce weight.

The material is many times stronger than MDF or wood, more durable, and impervious to water. I don't have to think about moisture issues.

However there have been some beautiful sets made by forum members. Corey's is one fine example.

I wanted to be up and running with storage in short order.

I think the woodworkers on the forum should take note of this material because it fabs up just like MDF and the box construction is typical of those of closet organizers found at a Home Depot. SHort answer: Buy the material and the standard box fasteners and you can make on heck of a good system with very little weight.

I just got 2 drawers so the height will match my Engel 45 fridge. I want to put a tray on top for repairs.

Do you have any pics of your drawers installed?

JP

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I have been researching storge drawers to replace my homebuilt. It works fine but I did not leave enough room for a slider under my fridge. So now i am looking at other options. I think A/Ts are overpriced but nice. Found a new to me drawer at Cabela's that looks quite good. In fact there is an add for it on the forum as I am typing this (does Cabelas know I am looking?). Anyway this unit appears rugged being built by "Well Built". All aluminum and two sizes. The 38w x 10h x 21d sells for $400, while the long one at 23w x 10h x 55d sells for $500. No weight is given on their website. The small one will fit nicely across the FJ cargo area and may still leave room to use the jack storage compartment. I will place a full length plywood floor on top and bolt down fridge/slider on that. I wanted a full flat floor for emergency sleeping when I am just too tired to mess with tents, etc.

The closest unit from A/T that would duplicate the storge would actully be 2 drawers at $530 apiece.

Has anyone used or even seen this "Better Built" drawer unit?

Please PM me if you have any experience with these.

Alan

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I have been researching storge drawers to replace my homebuilt. It works fine but I did not leave enough room for a slider under my fridge. So now i am looking at other options. I think A/Ts are overpriced but nice. Found a new to me drawer at Cabela's that looks quite good. In fact there is an add for it on the forum as I am typing this (does Cabelas know I am looking?). Anyway this unit appears rugged being built by "Well Built". All aluminum and two sizes. The 38w x 10h x 21d sells for $400, while the long one at 23w x 10h x 55d sells for $500. No weight is given on their website. The small one will fit nicely across the FJ cargo area and may still leave room to use the jack storage compartment. I will place a full length plywood floor on top and bolt down fridge/slider on that. I wanted a full flat floor for emergency sleeping when I am just too tired to mess with tents, etc.

The closest unit from A/T that would duplicate the storge would actully be 2 drawers at $530 apiece.

Has anyone used or even seen this "Better Built" drawer unit?

Please PM me if you have any experience with these.

Alan
Update: I did purchase & install the smaller Better Built drawer. It is fairly light-duty, all aluminum unit. Slides could be stronger and has no closing latches (only key lock to hold closed), but overall I found it satisfactory. The plywood floor on top adds a lot of strength and I will add some paddle latches soon. At this price point I feel it's a good buy.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got done building a simple (But extremely useful) drawer system. Main reason i build was a way to organize all of my camping equipment and get rid of a bunch of rubber maid totes. simple construction and spray truck bed lined the whole thing.Sorry for the poor qulity.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Looks fine but I'd use something different to hold the drawers closed. Those turn bolts will be constantly rattling open with gravity assisting.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I built these out of sheetmetal they are plenty stong enough to haul all
your gear in and on. I made the drawer 6" high so i still have enough room for the ice chest.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Looks like some nice work.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
My uncle and I built mine. I have about $300 into it, but the 220 LBS drawer slides and lockable paddle latches really drove the price up. It's a great addition to the FJ. When I get time I'm gunna paint it black.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1357703202.496523.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1357703220.085832.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

21 - 33 of 33 Posts