Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone! I am to say the least a newbie. I had a 2007 2WD FJ and was getting sick of getting stuck on my backpacking trips, so I traded it in and got a 2010 FJ with 4WD and only 30k miles. It came with some mods on it like Icon suspension, N-fab side steps (i think) and cold air intake, and that is about it. I just went out for my first offroad adventure out in Mojave and I had a lot of fun! and now (like im sure a lot you after your first trip) want to do stuff to my FJ lol.

Any suggestions would be great. I would love to get more into overland! I'm excited to join this forum and learn from you all. Thanks!

Attachments

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
40,122 Posts
Re: New FJ + 1st overland trip= want to buy a lot of ****

Welcome!

Reactions: Eddie Jo

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,607 Posts

Welcome from VT! Nice looking rig :rocker:

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome... nice FJC

·
Registered
559 Posts
Welcome. Check this thread, gives a good overview of what aftermarket equipment should be purchased first for off-road use.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/60034-first-2000-a.html

Personally I suggest getting 1) Proper suspension lift (looks like you have that already covered) 2) Off-road tires. The ones you have are good, but I personally would get different wheels and tires. I would look for 16-17" OEM or SCS wheels, E or D load range AT's/MT's. And 3) Armor, especially sliders and rear lower links. Have fun building and good luck

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome.
Nice rig and you are going to have lots of fun modding!

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,889 Posts
Yeah, you're going to need to put a Trailworx tubed winch bumper with winch on that. As you can see they come in a multitude of configurations, fully customizable to your personal specifications and all starting at low competitive prices :D

·
Premium Member
17,031 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada! I have overland dreams too.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Congratulations on your second purchase. You have a great start on your overland vehicle. If you have the opportunity, I would recommend attending an Overland Expo. Attending classes, seeing other rigs and talking with vendors; can be a very useful experience. The same holds for searching the Forum for ideas and examples. Modifying is like gardening, it is an ongoing process, not a finished product. After ten years, my FJ continues to morph; as I see things here on the Forum or out on the road. Evaluate what you want from your FJ in terms of your hobbies behind the wheel. Do you enjoy crawling more or camping? Will it be for just two people, eliminating the back seat opens up a lot more space and possibilities? Will this be a daily driver? Making those kinds of decisions will help dictate your mod decisions in the future. Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts

I just went out for my first offroad adventure out in Mojave and I had a lot of fun!
1st thing you need to get rid of those steps and get some real rock rails before you injure your new FJ.
+1000 on this, the steps you have on there right now are attached to the body of the truck, not the frame. As such, they're not designed to hold the weight of the truck and could damage the body if you hit them while offroading. Plenty of choices for rock rails, including some that stick out that can be used as a step. So look around :rocker:

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts